Welcome to PatsFans.com

What about Obama in 08?????

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Pats726, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I have found it interesting that Obama has been thought about as a possible candidate in 08....Tom Oliphant made a strong point about that in late June on Hardball and Joe Klein did in a Time article.
    Oliphant seems to think that those who will argue about the past will go donw in defeat...Hilary, Kerry and the like..and that the door is open for someone with legitimacy and autenticity...a new face..with new ideas...
    He seems to think it could be Obama...and while others kept saying he had little experience, Oliphant said that was more to his advantage than not.
    Klein thought that it was a large possibility especially since he was traveling back to Africa to his roots later in the summer and then publishing a book with his beliefs in it in the fall; sort of something to build on.
    I find it interesting...but I wonder if it all might be too soon??? OR the fresh air of leadership that America needs????
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

There are many who share your view. I agree that someone new and fresh needs to run. Anyone that is attached to todays B.S. needs to stay on the sidelines.

Unfortunately, Obama will need to be coaxed into running as he has not yet thrown his hat in the ring. I like Edwards and Bayh better but I admit to not having really considered Obama so I personally need to do some research on him.

I am for anyone who is NOT A REPUBLICAN winning in 08'. Even if the G.O.P. came up with the perfect candidate the time is wrong for the G.O.P. right now...the media will spend the next 4 years looking back and we need to move forward.

I hate to say this, but i will vote for any democrat who runs other than Hillary...simply because we need to move forward more than ever...we have too many social problems that have been ignored under Bush. He has spent the money but not paid enough attention to the people.

My favorite candidates favor the people....I call myself a moderate but really I am into good old fashioned politics for the people...no handouts...just some good old TLC that favors nobody.
  3. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I'm not advocating Obama run in 08..but I just found it interesting that his name has come up in many circles....Oliphant in particular was very strong in saying that there are too many old battles from the past that need to be done away with..and to look forward...I think he believes Obama may be the only one who could do that. I am not impressed with eiher Bayh or Edwards..and I really fear anyone truly progressive would scare voters away...but I don't think Obama would..and in fact he might be as progressive in a quieter way. I think it MAY be too early for him..but again one never knows...Being in MA, there is usually not a chance for a Republican, so I usually vote 3rd party...but in a closely contested state, it would be a bit harder to go 3rd party.
    I agree it will be interesting to see what happens..if the Dems get control in 06...it may change things..
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Obama doesn't have enough experience yet, but from everything so far he really appears to be the future of the Democratic Party. My guess is that the Dems might want Obama as VP, especially if the Republicans wants Condi.
  5. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Not sure what experience he needs...Oliphant pointed out that the LACK of so called experience is more IN his favor than against him...One thing I would not like is if he ran as VP with a political hack at the top of the ticket...really there aren't many dems I see as having much character..and if they move to the middle too much..they may become Repulican light..what's the point??
  6. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +473 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

An election that gets the lazy Americans to the polls is a good thing. Obama and Rice on the ticket could do it i think assuming they have some fresh ideas to share.

One thing for sure...the U.S. government needs greater representation of minorities in D.C. There are too many old fat and/or memory deficient stodgy white guys running this country at the top. We need more women and minorities in key positions/committee heads...them just being there is not enough.
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

I suspect that wouldn't be true for a black person. I've seen how women candidates are vilified for the personal traits; I think the a black candidate, too, would be held to a different standard.

That's true. I certainly want someone to the left of Hillary, but in the end I'll vote for any just about any Democrat over Republican because the Republicans have become too corrupt, bigoted, and violent. This next race will hardly be a case of Ford v. Carter.
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

We really need campaign finance reform, and maybe there has to be a grassroots effort for a constitutional amendment. I think our democracy isn't functioning very well right now, and I blame both parties equally for that. With a better system, it might be easier for new people to get involved.
  9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It would be unwise for him to run so soon. He is a very charasmatic, well spoken individual (a rarity among the left) who certainly should be considered a legitimate force down the line. If you want to be president, you're better off not running than running and losing and 2008 would be too soon.
  10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What makes you say that...?
    Why do so many people think it should be "easier" for other people to get involved. How much easier can it be than it currently already is..?!? You have to register to vote and then on election day you have to take time out of your schedule to actually go to the polls. (And you don't even have to do that since there are absentee ballots as an option). There are plenty of buses and other modes of transportation available for those who are poor or infirmed.

If that's too much trouble for someone, then I have no problem with them not being represented in our government. I never really understood this prevailing opinion that somehow we'd all be better off if more people were voting.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Obama:
    Liberal Racist.
    :bricks:
  12. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I agree it is running poorly...and that goes for Congress as well..THAt is a total abomination..with the way bills get done..Just no oversight by Congress now on a LOT the President has done..from the whole Homeland security issues including the Katrina fiasco to the Iraq war missing money and profiteering to the oversight or lack thereof of
    the executive programs..to the buying of influence alal Abramof..Basically Congress has been running terribly...
    As far as reform goes, what troubles me is how 3rd parties are kept out of it all..the two parties make sure they are the only ones who get money..NOT good for real democracy. It would be betetr in some form of course, but with 3rd parties able to take a place in it. I know you mentioned women and minorities and there is NO question about that that both are needed...absolutely!!! But it is NOT easy to run and it is all about money..you need it to run and stay in office..and when MOST of the time u are in office u are raising money fore the next campaign, no wonder one has little time to actually DO what one got elected to office to do.
  13. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +473 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

You finished with your
    neighbors wife now?
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

He can't win and would be smart not to run for POTUS.
    He's far too skinny and smart to be president, anyways.
    I don't think anyone cares that he's black.
  15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +473 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

..SKINNY?..
  16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +473 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

The women are fawning over him ... better looking than Hillary.:eek: