PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What about Bethel Johnson as a stop-gap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsDeb

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know this was floated last week, before we saw the game yesterday. Our biggest problem is that we have no one to be a deep threat, and therefore, the opposing defense can load up on the run (which didn't help yesterday - thank you Corey and Laurence) and the short/screen pass (which they killed us on). At least Bethel knows the system and can be counted on to sprint down the field for the ocassional spectacular 40 yd. catch. He can also help out on kick-offs so that Faulk and Maroney don't get injured out there. At the game yesterday, it looked like either Brady doesn't trust or doesn't feel comfortable throwing to Bam Childress. He never even got a look. He was a wasted body out there. I think Bethel would be an upgrade of this situation, since he does represent a threat.

Last I saw Bethel he was being helped off the field during a NO pre-season game. I have no idea the extent of his injurie but two guys had to help him off the field and he could not put any pressure on one leg. (Yes I was watching a NO preseason game.)

I suppose I should check it out.

PatsDeb said:
I know this was floated last week, before we saw the game yesterday. Our biggest problem is that we have no one to be a deep threat, and therefore, the opposing defense can load up on the run (which didn't help yesterday - thank you Corey and Laurence) and the short/screen pass (which they killed us on). At least Bethel knows the system and can be counted on to sprint down the field for the ocassional spectacular 40 yd. catch. He can also help out on kick-offs so that Faulk and Maroney don't get injured out there. At the game yesterday, it looked like either Brady doesn't trust or doesn't feel comfortable throwing to Bam Childress. He never even got a look. He was a wasted body out there. I think Bethel would be an upgrade of this situation, since he does represent a threat.

Unfortunately the deep route was the only one Bethel could run. I do not think the Patriots have any confidence in him as a receiver.

We'll have to talk to the Saints about getting him off of the IR first.

Alk said:
We'll have to talk to the Saints about getting him off of the IR first.

He's on IR? I thought he was cut. Sounds like he's injured anyway. I'll have to think of something else.

NEM said:
IMO, both Jackson and Gabriel will be on the field next Sunday in the Meadowlands.

I think we need to develop this wait and see attitude, do not believe either one was ready physically or knew the playbook well enough to take the field.

who are you gonna drop off the 53 for bethel is her were available.

PatsDeb said:
He's on IR? I thought he was cut. Sounds like he's injured anyway. I'll have to think of something else.
Yep, it was some weird deal where the released him and let him clear waivers and then put him on IR.

Digger44 said:
who are you gonna drop off the 53 for bethel is her were available.

I was going to put Bam Childress back on the PS since Brady didn't seem to notice he was even on the field yesterday. But it's pretty clear Bethel isn't available anyway. He must have been injured, they cut him, then couldn't reach an injury settlement and had to put him on IR. Let's hope an earlier poster is right and at least one of Gabriel and/or Jackson gets on the field at the Meadowlands.

PatsDeb said:
I was going to put Bam Childress back on the PS since Brady didn't seem to notice he was even on the field yesterday. But it's pretty clear Bethel isn't available anyway. He must have been injured, they cut him, then couldn't reach an injury settlement and had to put him on IR. Let's hope an earlier poster is right and at least one of Gabriel and/or Jackson gets on the field at the Meadowlands.

It doesn't matter. Bethel was a failure as a receiver here. The only way he sticks in the league is as a kick returner until he "get's it".

Chad Jackson will likely replace Bethel on deep routes and do a much better job of it.

lobster said:
Chad Jackson will likely replace Bethel on deep routes and do a much better job of it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this weekend for a big debut! Where is this guy? He's killing us.

I'd thought I'd heard he'd been cut by NO too. Besides which, if he couldn't get his act together here, and was basically booted out due to his lack of work ethic why would we even consider him again? That leopard isn't about to change his spots now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back