PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What about 2008? The FA/draft cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is just one publications opinion on this years draft class. Form the Pro Football Weekly's draft magazines "primer' that I recieved today.

Position Grade
QB's B
Rb's B
WR's A
TE's D
Ot's B+
OG's A
OC's C-

DE"s A this surprised me
DT's C
ILB B I really like the top 4
OLB's B-
CB's C-
S's A

Overall not a bad class. Weak in some area's - strong in some. No wonder Graham hit the jack pot with only one TE 1st round consideration.
Okay, but how does it grade out for Patriots' caliber players?

Here is just one publications opinion on this years draft class. Form the Pro Football Weekly's draft magazines "primer' that I recieved today.

Position Grade
QB's B
Rb's B
WR's A
TE's D
Ot's B+
OG's A
OC's C-

DE"s A this surprised me
DT's C
ILB B I really like the top 4
OLB's B-
CB's C-
S's A

Overall not a bad class. Weak in some area's - strong in some. No wonder Graham hit the jack pot with only one TE 1st round consideration.

My reply (and I am trying to be fair)
QB's b- (two players plus those who might develope)
RB's c- (see above, but we expect more from the rb classes)
WR's A- (lots of depth @ top end)
TE's- D
OT's - C (only 2 guaranteed 1st rounders, many project to guards(
OG'c- A (best class in 10 years IMO)
OC's- C (I could see 4 taken the first day- Average)

DE's- A- (some of these will wind up as LB's but this draft class is great in its depth)
DT's- D- (2 first rounders + Harrell, than a long drop talentwise, Many will reach this year...)
ILB- C (I see 5, maybe 6 first day players. Not a great crop in my mind)
OLB- C+ (save for some of the conversion players, this would be the worst draft in years)
CB- B- (I know others differ, what it lacks in top end, it makes up in depth. 16 CB's the first day IMO)
S- B+ (Better in SS than FS. Depth w/ some top end)

For some reason the theme from Jeopardy is running through my mind.
:rofl:

It does list about 12 "good fits" for the Patriots. I liked what I have seen of Patrick Willis on a limited basis. After reading an article and their write up on him , I have a total man crush on him. He has everything that the Patriots want in a LB, a player, a leader, and a person.

The payers that they listed as "good fits":

Meachen, Gonzales:rocker:, Craig Davis,OT Doug Free, OL Jon Palmer, OT Chris Denman.

Leon Hall,Revis,Bradley,Harris,Hughes,Wendling.

I was really looking at Rouse but they say he's slow in the head.

Nice.

Next year should have a great RB class: McFadden, Slaton, Rice, Stewart, Ore, James Davis, Ian Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Andre Brown, Brad Lester, etc.

"I think he is refering to the intellectual kinship that he might find w/ many of the posters."

Jeesh. How many times do we have to say things around here to make a point.? Am I going to have to start a thread about this?

"I think he is refering to the intellectual kinship that he might find w/ many of the posters."

Jeesh. How many times do we have to say things around here to make a point.? Am I going to have to start a thread about this?
Well yes, but if you insert it into every thread...

The 2008 RB class could the best in the past 5 years or so. A lot of really good RB's that were sophomores this year.
The 2008 CB class has a chance to be special as well.
And if the 2008 class has at least 1 decent TE in it, then it will beat the 2007 class.
I really like Richardson of Clemson, Long of Michigan and Baker of USC at the OT position. I'm not sure if any of them fall to #32 in next year's draft, but any of the three would be an upgrade over the Kazkur/O'callaghan/Britt threesome.

Goff of Vandy remains the ILB beast that all 3-4 teams will be looking very closely at.

Goff of Vandy remains the ILB beast that all 3-4 teams will be looking very closely at.

Add Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina into the mix, I was surprised he didn't come out this year. Very physical and active ILB.
Height: 6-2 Weight: 258

Getting back to the original question, I am sure the Patriots have general ideas about the overall positional strength of each class but I would be surpirsed if they base too many roster decisions on it. The main reason is I don't think they enter a draft and say "we have to get a CB", the board may not break that way. I am also skeptical about draft "depth", each year some units are stronger than others but overall the players are not that much different.

In the end you get to draft 8-10 of them, 6 or 7 make the roster, you develop them the best you can and then repeat the process the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes