PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a BS call

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Vrabel call probably didn't affect the outcome.

Had the Pats been down by only 3, they probably would have wound up with a FG instead of the Moss TD, and the game still would have gone to OT.

Had the Pats been down by only 3, they probably would have wound up with a FG instead of the Moss TD, and the game still would have gone to OT.

Had the Vrabel call not been made, the Pats would have an additional minute to play with (I think the Jets ran three plays after the penalty: a run that was stopped, the penalty to Sanders, and the TD) so I don't think it's fair to say the same thing would have happened.

The problem with Vrabel from what I saw on that play was that he looked like he was doing a lot of things with his hands. That vision translated in the ref's brain to holding, whether he was or not.

definitely a bad call. but, what can ya do. those are the penalties that happen. you just hope that those calls go both ways throughout the course of a season

That was my thinking as well. How the hell can you flag Vrabel and NOT flag Law.
I agree...part time officials..who seem to call it one way or another..I hate the way officials are in the NFL..part time.. Professional?? they are clowns..and every week it shows in some games MORE than others.. they always make bad calls..but Goodell does not wish to EVER address the issue..keep it all back in the past century..the Holding call was so blatant..the Vrabel call was pathetic..and NO golding on Law?? If that is the best the NFL can do it's poor..I would think Goodell would wish to change things, but..no way. There are basically a different set of interpretation of the rules for every crew and that is nonsense. Either that or someone is getting money under the table in some form.

i dont think there is any bias but there are just refs who are not consistant enough. you have to expect that when it is only a part time job. the nfl should just give up the money and make officating a full time job so the refs can get as much training as they need to be consistant and fully understand everything. you talk to players about officals and they almsot all say the same thing, as long as they are consistant it is ok we can adjust to the rest.

teams should be able to challenge crucial penalties such as holding in the final minutes of a game. that vrabel call was bs. however i was happy that it took the jests like 8 downs to get the ball in the end zone

It most certainly could have affected the outcome because at that time there was 3:26 remaining and the Pats would have had two more time outs, if you remember they burned 2 after that play. Here's more from PFT on this call and the Favre intentional grounding no call: ProFootballTalk.com - VRABEL AVOIDS OFFICIATING DISCUSSION

Last edited:
And then no flag on Moss' TD when Law bear hugged him.

Yes, I noticed that also. There was also an obvious hold on the O/T drive that never went called.

Me, I think the pats should have gone for the 2 point conversion and just ended it there.

Officials in football and baseball are erratic at best and on the take at worst. In basketball they're just part of the show like circus clowns.

That late in the game, the refs should have left their flags in their pockets unless it was blatant. It didn't look that way to most people. Oh well, it happens and we have to move on. I'm sure the Pats will. At least it wasn't a playoff game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots