PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What 1st Rounder Falls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswlek

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Every year a guy who is supposedly a mid to late first rounder drops all the way into the second day.

Since I am a gigantic idiot when it comes to college players, I have no opinion, but I wanted to give everyone a chance to make their guess.

I will not be doing all the legwork that Alamo does, but if your guy does fall, you have the right to shove this thread in people's faces when they disagree with you.

So, what say you? Who falls?

Admittedly a shot in the dark, but my choice would be Michael Griffin. I just don't think he's as highly regarded as some are saying. The Longhorns ranked very low in pass D last season. At least his fellow teammate, Aaron Ross has secondary value as a K/P returner.

Brandon Merriweather...New conduct policy can end up hurting someone like him. Tarrell Brown and Eric Wright are in the same boat. It doesn't even matter if these guys have "turned the corner." Teams will simply be affraid of getting burned on such an early pick...

Michael Bush...I can't imagine a team will spend a premium day one pick on someone coming off of a broken leg and recent corrective surgery...

how very odd

why was my post on this thread deleted?

I had stated that Ryan Kalil was going to fall out of the first, after joking that the Vikings' selection would fall several slots after failing to get their card to the commish on time. Surely this was not a post-deletion offense?

Brian Leonard

I'd have to agree about Merriweather. I think he falls out of the 1st round. The big thing this current offseason is player conduct and what team would want all the attention with a player who did something like that in college.

I'd have to agree about Merriweather. I think he falls out of the 1st round. The big thing this current offseason is player conduct and what team would want all the attention with a player who did something like that in college.

Losing your cool and getting in a fight on the football field is a long way off from getting busted for drug possesion, drunk driving, beating your wife, or being the cause of a triple shooting.

Meriweather's only problem other then the fight, was the gun thing. But the Miami dade police found him guilty of no crimes while defending himeself, and friends with his registered, hand gun. That is legal in the United States. If you have a problem with Meriweather owning a gun, you need to take that up with the Constitution. He did not do anything illegal. The Miami police said so.

I think this fight deal is being overblown. How many times have you seen kids lose there cool during a sports game? He showed honest remorse, and appologized for his actions. Hope no one in the nfl ever makes minor mistakes in life. The kid was in a fight, his situation was not a huge deal. People are talking like he commited a felony.....

Last edited:
Jarrett, and it doesn't make sense. He is going to be very good, maybe not great but should be in the 50-70 catch range with 5-10 TDs for a long time.

Either that or he will be a total bust.

For falls from the 1st round to the 2nd round, your best bet is a QB. Think about it: The teams at the top are usually the worst performers, who need major help, typically at QB. If a prospect QB makes it past the initial picks without being selected, then he'll free-fall past teams in the middle and bottom of the order, who obviously are somewhat successful and don't need a QB. Unless a team can't resist a high-potential backup (see Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers), it's most likely that a QB can fall to the start of the 2nd.

For falls from the 1st day to the 2nd day, then you're usually talking about character/police issues, not positional issues. It's usually a player who failed a drug test, got in trouble with the law, etc. Then it's just a question of which team pulls the trigger first, risk versus reward.

Losing your cool and getting in a fight on the football field is a long way off from getting busted for drug possesion, drunk driving, beating your wife, or being the cause of a triple shooting.

Meriweather's only problem other then the fight, was the gun thing. But the Miami dade police found him guilty of no crimes while defending himeself, and friends with his registered, hand gun. That is legal in the United States. If you have a problem with Meriweather owning a gun, you need to take that up with the Constitution. He did not do anything illegal. The Miami police said so.

I've been to Miami. You need a gun. Event the ****roaches are armed down there. An they are nearly as large as Merriweather.

Adrian Peterson's collar bone will cause him to fall.

Brandon Merriweather...New conduct policy can end up hurting someone like him. Tarrell Brown and Eric Wright are in the same boat. It doesn't even matter if these guys have "turned the corner." Teams will simply be affraid of getting burned on such an early pick...

Michael Bush...I can't imagine a team will spend a premium day one pick on someone coming off of a broken leg and recent corrective surgery...

Merriweather is who I was thinking. He was involved in the brawl against Central Florida this year, and actually some situation with a gun incident, and carries a gun, but he is liscensed gun owner though, so he can't be arrested for any gun possession charges in Florida.

Free-fallers:

Offense: Marshawn Lynch, Tony Hunt, Sidney Rice, Troy Smith, Michael Bush, Ryan Harris.

Defense: Brandon Siler, Aaron Rouse, Marcus Thomas, Dameion Hughes, Tanard Jackson.

Agree with Lynch, Rice, Hughes and Jarrett.

Troy Smith shouldn't be expected to go very high, so I wouldn't put him in the list of "1st rounders falling". Definately an arguable point though when you consider that mid college season, Kiper was loving on Smith.

The love affair with Ginn Jr is unreal and irrational to me. He should drop to the bottom of the first round, but some lame GM will take him much earlier.

Alan Branch, like Wilfork, will drop for some odd reason. Hard to blame a guy that weighs more than three times my weight taking on large guards to hustle on every play. Taking on two blockers is the extent of what the Patriots would ask him to do, so to a team running a 3-4 defense, the motor isn't as important as the techique and size.

PFT says Levi Brown could fall.

PFT says Levi Brown could fall.

Levi Brown has a gap from where he can go

He can go as high as #8 to Falcons..and then drop to end of 1 but a lot of teams are interested

-Falcons
-Dolphins
-Texans
-Giants

^off top of my head

Levi Brown has a gap from where he can go

He can go as high as #8 to Falcons..and then drop to end of 1 but a lot of teams are interested

-Falcons
-Dolphins
-Texans
-Giants

^off top of my head

Here's a question.

If Staley or Brown happen to fall to us would you take one of them?

Adrian Peterson's collar bone will cause him to fall.

i have been saying the same thing. Peterson is going to be the biggest bust this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down