PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We've Found a New Starting Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Harrison, Hawkins, Scott and Samuel.

I am so proud of these guys and my team.

QB12

QB12 said:

QB12

I still love Ellis Hobbs. I like Wilson too - but I'm loving Hawkins for what he did to our team last year and how he played today.

Are those bongos that I hear in the background? They're getting louder -- yes, folks, the Hank Poteat Fan Club is back in town!!!

I thought Hawkins played very well today, glad the secondary was able to step up and make some stops, but I am still not ready to bench Hobbs...

did anyone see rodney stumble and fall trying to make a play? it made me wonder if his lateral, quick shift speed is not up to par, if he has difficulty which i'm sure he does. hopefully i'm just overreacting. the guy will probably need an off season to be back to normal, but he's solid now.

Hobbs deserves to start. Scott will do well in the slot. Hawkins will do well in Dime and some Nickel Packages.

Several of us posted a few weeks ago that the secondary used to knock the snot out of receivers or lock them up and wait for help. Today, they did a lot more of locking up and waiting for help...it works and it will continue to work agaisnt the trend of larger NFL receivers.

BTW: Gabriel looks like he can drag them a bit when they do this to him...I like it.

I'd still like Hobbs to start, but the best thing about todays DB performance is that maybe the backups are better than it 1st appeared. It's so hard to tell on TV how good the coverage is because you don't see the DB until the ball arrives, but it seemed liks the Patriots DB was there on almost every play. They even broke up a few.

I don't mean to focus on the negative (our guys played GREAT today) but Harrison was being pushed around today

at least until Asante's next missed tackle which results in a 50+ yard touchdown.

And a healthy Hobbs should be on the field at all times.

skri65 said:
I don't mean to focus on the negative (our guys played GREAT today) but Harrison was being pushed around today

Harrison isn't our old time Rodney for sure. I hope it's a time thing like Colvin and we'll have the old Rodney back back playoff time. He's not in coverage like he used to be. I wrote a post asking the Tivo guys to check him out. It seems Bruschi and Vrabel are covering more for him while he gueards against the run...which is why we are seeing him get beat up a little bit .... my opinion anyways without benefit of film.

F.B.N. said:
Harrison isn't our old time Rodney for sure. I hope it's a time thing like Colvin and we'll have the old Rodney back back playoff time.

Remember, it took Bruschi time to come back to form as well. Although, I guess in terms of severity of the injury, I guess Colvin is more comparable to Harrison - though it seems silly of me to say anything is more severe than a stroke, I think you get my drift.

I am proud with the whole team today. Chad Scott showed up today, he really did. Hank Poteat played well. Everyone played well, nobody was beat deep. Nobody broke off huge runs after the catch. Excellent work.

I'd be fine with that. However, I am also not ready to bench Hobbs. However, there are really 5 starters; the nickel back plays as much as many starters on the team. So, the five are the five above.

The player I would consider benching is Wilson. Hawkins and Harrison are a fine combination. And Sanders has now been officially demoted to a Ster.

QB12 said:

QB12

i said before the game that i was excited to see how Hawkins and Harrison play together. It was much better than what i expected. I would love to see more of those 2 together.

I am not sure.. I would much rather have our original starting lineup over this one we played today. With some improved tacklings the first unit is much better than the improvised one today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes