Welcome to PatsFans.com

Westboro Baptist Church to protest in Newtown

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by everlong, Dec 16, 2012.

1. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

2. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +383 / 12 / -1

#87 Jersey

Talk about going from sadness to anger with these new threads on the Newtown tragedy.

These people have no souls, I'm down for a fight....
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

So you would risk your freedom to stop them from doing what they are entitled by the Constitution to do...

It is not worth your while, they are inviting a confrontation... and somehow if that is what they achieve they will achieve their goal...

Do the angel thing, where folks dress up with sheets on and they spread their arms so no one can see them...

Giving them more press does not solve anything..
  4. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is the first time ive commented on these children being slaughtered ive been so outraged by this obscenity. Now along with all the so called news organazations making money on this tragic event this scumbag surfaces. Phelps deserves to die i hope it happens.
  5. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I don't have a link but the hacker group Anonymous has decided to take on Westboro and is releasing all their personal information, addresses and emails of the members.......
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Anonymous hacked them...

Hackers target Westboro Baptist Church after Newtown threat | Internet & Media - CNET News

Here is a petition you can sign to ask that their tax exempt status be revoked based on the reality is they are a hate group.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...xempt-status-westboro-baptist-church/YrKbHYtV

Also...

Anonymous was not the only group that fought back against Westboro over the weekend. Reddit users announced plans to travel to Newtown to create “a silent blockade during the funeral processions"

Things can be done, but violence will only beget more violence.. and we will become them.

The last thing you want to be part of is violence in the midst of funerals for innocents..
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  7. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +182 / 7 / -24

Nice....Progressives determining what constitutes a church and what doesn't constitute a church. So I guess the Catholic church is next for it's "hateful" belief of traditional marriage.
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Guess you cannot see the forest through the trees, and you obviously do not understand what tax exempt status for churches really means..

Guess the Catholic Boyz think that their protesting the funeral of innocents for their warped agenda is a good thing..

Southern Poverty Law Center lists them as a hate group.. they tend to do a good job of identifying such..
  9. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

They are a terrorist cell that is a church in name only. I cannot believe you want to push your agenda on this one. If anything I would hope yourself and the Catholic Church would want to distance yourself from a group like this.
  10. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

No I more wanted to do what the students at Texas A&M did by forming a human wall so they couldn't get through or how that town in Georgia blocked their cars in at the diner so they couldn't leave until after the funeral was over.
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Great idea, apparently Reddit(not sure who that is) is developing a plan..

The last thing you want to do with these whack jobs is invite confrontation, as they will become victims of free speech or other such nonsense..

Any effort has to be intelligent, well thought out and non violent.
  12. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +182 / 7 / -24

BUAHAHAHA.....the Southern Poverty law group. You mean that Progressive piece of garbage institution? The one that identified the Concerned Women of America as a hate group...lol. Right up there with the Nazis :rolleyes:

Unlike you, I know exactly what requirements are needed for an institution to lose their tax exempt status.

All IRC section 501(c)(3) organizations, including churches
    and religious organizations, must abide by certain rules:

■ their net earnings may not inure to any private
    shareholder or individual,
    ■ they must not provide a substantial benefit to private
    interests,
    ■ they must not devote a substantial part of their
    activities to attempting to influence legislation,
    ■ they must not participate in, or intervene in, any
    political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to)
    any candidate for public office, and
    ■ the organization’s purposes and activities may not
    be illegal or violate fundamental public policy.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

So which of these of these does Westboro Baptist break?
  13. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +182 / 7 / -24

I support their right to free speech without question and their right to tax exempt status.

I also think they are jerks and doing the work of Satan. I say ignore them.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

If the feds designate them as a hate group they lose their tax free status..

SPLC the organization that fought the neo nazis(Richard Butler) and bankrupted them when the federal government could not intervene..

The SPLC has done an incredible job identifying the hate groups in America and monitoring their activities, while also watching the injustices in juvenile prisons..
  15. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

They can have all the free speech they want without infringing on other people's rights. While in a trial I fully support the rights of the accused I do not go over the line where it's at the expense of the victim. In the case of free speech if you want to protest Wall Street or something of that nature great. You want to protest Washington because you believe their laws are ruining the country great. You want to disgrace someone's funeral who has nothing to do with your agenda big problem. If it was the first church of Satan or the first church of Jah pushing the rastafari cause of getting everybody high I'm sure people would be pissed if they were tax exempt.

If they were Muslim nobody would be saying ignore them.
  16. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

And I still think pushing your gay marriage agenda on this topic is low. People on Facebook and twitter were pushing this jpeg that said dear god how could you let this happen and not keep our children safe in school? I'm not allowed in school to protect them.

Are you kidding me? So if there was prayer in school this wouldn't have happened? This is why it would be better if religious establishments didn't exist. Because they lose site of compassion and only care about pushing their agenda. Their god. Their truths. Ghandi was right when he said "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ"

Agenda > Compassion.
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +338 / 3 / -13

Nobody on this earth can defend the Westboro Baptist Church. They represent human scum.

Wish they'd all kill one another...or at least see the light...they walk side-by-side with satan himself.
  18. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +182 / 7 / -24

Well, the Supreme Court disagrees with you:

Snyder v. Phelps, 562 U.S. ___, 131 S. Ct. 1207, 179 L. Ed. 2d 172 (2011), is a United States Supreme Court case in which the Court held that Speech on a public sidewalk, about a public issue, cannot be liable for a tort of emotional distress, even if the speech is found to be "outrageous".

At issue was whether the First Amendment protected protests of public protestors at a funeral against tort liability. It involved a claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress made by Albert Snyder, the father of Matthew Snyder, a Marine who died in the Iraq War. The claim was made against the Phelps family, including Fred Phelps, and against Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church (WBC). The Court ruled in favor of Phelps in an 8–1 decision, holding that their speech related to a public issue, and was disseminated on a public sidewalk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snyder_v._Phelps

I would have zero problem if the first church of Satan were to receive a tax break..... so you are wrong.
  19. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +182 / 7 / -24

Thank goodness the Progressive faith isn't using this tragedy to push their agenda :rolleyes:
  20. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -1

Everyone knows that what the Westboro Baptist Church is doing is harassment under the guise of free speech.