Welcome to PatsFans.com

west warwick decides not to pay teachers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by tanked_as_usual, Jun 24, 2009.

1. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

That's your proof that government doesn't work. Here's my proof that business doesn't work:

Eddie Bauer declares bankruptcy - Portland Business Journal:

Eddie Bauer declares bankruptcy

Overwhelmed by debt payments and a steep drop in customer spending, Eddie Bauer filed Wednesday for bankruptcy protection, becoming another high-profile Northwest corporate casualty of the recession.
  3. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

businesses cycle all the time......even in good times, businesses go under......their failure to maintain their product lines is the biggest culprit......

the problem with west warwick is that the town government knew they had a problem months ago, and still had teachers work, fully knowing they won't be paid......I bet you the town politicians got paid.......

you see the difference is that the business owner is the biggest loser when a business fails whereas everyone else is the biggest loser when a government fails

sorry Patters, but you can't compare the 2
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -23

Here is a little more detail on the case, they are talking about being short two paychecks.. not to pay them at all.

This is the classic RI shytfight it happens every year..unfortunately.

West Warwick says it can’t afford to pay teachers | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

My point is you're making a generalization based on events in one school district.

That said, I think you're very wrong if you think that business people are the biggest losers when their businesses fail. That's the whole issue about Wall Street bonuses and the kind of compensation some people get.
  6. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I am in business myself and own the company by myself......just as any privately held company, the owner is the biggest loser when the company goes under......we are the ones who pay employees out of our own pockets when things get like they are.........the government does not even have its own pockets since it is the voters money to start with

wall street bonuses??? LMFAO.....who's generalizing now.......guess its ok if you believe in the cause
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

If you're comparing large scale government programs to small business, you have a point, but it makes more sense to compare something like a school system to a large business. If your privately owned company goes under, are you incorporated so that you won't have to pay all your debts especially if you declare bankruptcy? Do you think you might take some money out of the company prior to going bankrupt?

My point about Wall Street bonuses was to point out that just as there are some problem with some government programs there are also some problems with some Wall Street compensation packages.
  8. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

do you have any clue???? taking money out of an s corp before going bankrupt?
    THERE IS NO FREAKING MONEY!!!!

Ive been paying people out of my own pocket since January.........technically, I could have shut down then......

a school system is much closer to a small corp than a wall street co.......

then there's the notion that you said government is run great.....you did say that.......so how does an entity with a guaranteed revenue stream end up like this........because it is run like crap
  9. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +69 / 2 / -0

No Jersey Selected

I went to WWHS. It was awful. I can't believe my parents sent me there.
  10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +620 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

West Warwick is a different kind of place ... one has to experience West Warwick ... I recommend the bus tour.

I never understood why West Warwick even existed. There is no South Warwick, or North Warwick or East Warwick. West Warwick must have had some scourge ... Warwick did not want them.

Seriously West Warwick and Warwick divided along political lines. West Warwick was democratic and Warwick republican. The textile mills went downhill and so did the town unfortunately. Most Rhode Island and Massachsetts towns and cities that suck were major mill areas who still to this day have not recovered.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  11. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +69 / 2 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Yeah, that's a pretty good description alright. That town is so depressed and depressing it will suck the life out of you.
  12. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -10

And some actually believe we can survive by increasing taxes and reducing consumer spending even further. :rolleyes:

Oh, BTW, if we could actually INCREASE consumer spending, tax revenues would jump dramatically. But some think increasing taxes thereby decreasing disposeable income, that sh1t can get fixed.

We need to impliment policies that allow Americans to SPEND more, not PAY more taxes. Is that really so hard to understand?
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -23

Some folks call the folks from there and Woonsocket as suffering from some type of deprivation derangement syndrome.. we usually call it the armpits of RI...
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009