PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker's injury flying under the radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
No one seems to be talking much about Wes's injury - Out of the week 3 game where all starters usually play and missing practice again yesterday is a slight bit concerning to me.

I remember when Wes bruised a rib injury during a kickoff return last preseason which turned out to be minor.

Other than hearing that Wes is O.K. on a few sites on the web (the normal Patriot way to inform about injury :rolleyes:) - We have not heard of what the injury is and if he could miss the season opener.

Without Wes, Galloway who has struggled to learn the playbook and Lewis which has done little thus far will move up but Moss will be double teamed so I am a little worried with the opener against Buffalo now less than 2 weeks away.

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago that Branch was held out the entire preseason with the explanation that he was small and already had a good grasp... Could be the same thing with the two small guys now...

I remember a few years ago that Branch was held out the entire preseason with the explanation that he was small and already had a good grasp... Could be the same thing with the two small guys now...
Yep. Unless there's a definite reason to think there's a serious issue it's not worth worrying about. This isn't "flying under the radar", it's SOP for the Patriots.

Yep. Unless there's a definite reason to think there's a serious issue it's not worth worrying about. This isn't "flying under the radar", it's SOP for the Patriots.

The reason I say it was flying under the radar because the concern for Brady's injury and the news it received,overshadowed the fact that Wes has not played or practiced in the past few weeks.

If Brady had not been injured, I think Wes and his absence would have been brought up a bit more by the Boston media - now we can hopefully find out a bit more as the final preseason game arrives and Wes hopefully will be on the field for a quarter.

Last edited:
Not worried about him not playing the games, slightly concerned that he's missed quite a number of practices in a row (since the 24th).

Not worried about him not playing the games, slightly concerned that he's missed quite a number of practices in a row (since the 24th).

Welker did a TON of work in the off-season, including work with Brady. He will be a frickin monster this year.

The reason I say it was flying under the radar because the concern for Brady's injury and the news it received,overshadowed the fact that Wes has not played or practiced in the past few weeks.
That was different to me because we all saw Haynesworth land on his shoulder and saw it end in an unnatural position - then he left the game and the sideline when we all knew that wasn't the plan despite Belichick's denial.

Branch was held out because he got beaten up during the preseason year after year, but I think he practiced every day. He just didn't play during the preseason games.

That said, I am not worried about Welker yet. When they return to practice next week to prepare for the Bills game and if he is not on the practice field, then I will begin to worry. It isn't unprecident for Belichick to hold banged up players who would practice and play during the regular season out for a week or two at a time during the preseason.

That was different to me because we all saw Haynesworth land on his shoulder and saw it end in an unnatural position - then he left the game and the sideline when we all knew that wasn't the plan despite Belichick's denial.

I don't know that. I figured Brady would only play 1 half anyway. I think the only reason Brady played as many series as he did was to get more in-sync with his new receivers. On his last series, they started putting some backup linemen in... or at least at LT and RT anyway. Vollmer played some LT for a bit, then relieve Kazcur at RT.

I'm not saying that landing on his shoulder didn't made BB send KOC in early, rather that it is possible.

Welker did a TON of work in the off-season, including work with Brady. He will be a frickin monster this year.

Oh, I'm not concerned at all about his rapport with Brady being lessened by missing practices. If he's healthy week 1 he'll produce week 1. It's purely his health I'm a teeny bit concerned about.

I'm betting he has a really good yr this yr

Oh, I'm not concerned at all about his rapport with Brady being lessened by missing practices. If he's healthy week 1 he'll produce week 1. It's purely his health I'm a teeny bit concerned about.

Gotchya ;)

Last edited:
I don't know that. I figured Brady would only play 1 half anyway.
Maybe I'm wrong but I have no doubt Brady was going to play at least some of the 3rd quarter. And the plan certainly wasn't for him to come out, throw some warmups, then go back to the locker room.

Maybe I'm wrong but I have no doubt Brady was going to play at least some of the 3rd quarter. And the plan certainly wasn't for him to come out, throw some warmups, then go back to the locker room.

I didn't see Brady throwing any warmups after hafltime... If I saw that, I may have come to the same conclusion. I just replied cuz you said "we all knew". I'm just tellin ya that I didn't know :)

BTW, Welker was seen at practice yesterday. Players who are seriously injured and are not close to returning are rarely at practices. Even in street clothes.

He played in week 2 against the Bengals.

I didn't see Brady throwing any warmups after hafltime... If I saw that, I may have come to the same conclusion. I just replied cuz you said "we all knew". I'm just tellin ya that I didn't know :)
Every person I heard/read who is in any way close to the team said the plan was for him to play a LOT more than he did.

Regardless, he wouldn't have been in the locker room. That is the smoking gun that things did not go according to plan even in the unlikely event that he was supposed to be done at halftime.

Welker has been spotted at practice running on his hands and attempting to catch the ball with his feet. A new league rule is forcing the reciever's 'hand'. Put forth by Bill Polian, the "Welker Rule" (536-A) forces recievers from New England wearing either #83 or the word "Welker" on their jersey to catch the ball with their feet.
Fortunately, Belichick was ahead of the rule change and sent Wes to Clown College for the offseason. He not only can catch with his feet, but also juggle, and fit most of the special teams into a VW bug.

more on this story as it develops.

Given what we learned from the Ellis Hobbs III testimonies, it should be obvious that he is faking it. My speculation is that he is just dogging around and collecting his money.

Given what we learned from the Ellis Hobbs III testimonies, it should be obvious that he is faking it. My speculation is that he is just dogging around and collecting his money.

I agree, and Haynesworth is actually a skinny guy in a fat suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes