PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker's illegal pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, Denver has been doing this all year. They've been getting away with it. Three things:

1. You'd think the refs would be alerted to it.
2. At the very least, don't call it on Hooman.
3. On one of the WR screens in the 2nd half, all the Broncos were blocking way downfield before the WR even caught the ball.

Glad you brought up #3. Saw that one clearly...Denver's deadly bubble screen where the receivers block/grab/jam the dbs before the receiver catches the ball. They do it all the time.

By the way, it was Welker on that play, too.

Re: Wes welker illegal pick

I'm pretty sure that was a 3rd and 1

It was a 3rd and 3. The pick happened beyond the first down line.

You are both wrong. It was a 2nd and 9 play from the Denver 19. NFL.COM has the play up as part of the highlights (1:33 of the highlights)

Watch New England Patriots vs. Denver Broncos [01/19/2014] - NFL.com

You can CLEARLY see it is a text book pick play. Talib was beyond 5 yards past the line of scrimmage when Welker hit him and the ball was in the air. That makes it OPI. Plain and simple.

mike pereira said it wasn't a flag...same guy who said the PI on the panthers LB on the pats wasn't PI :bricks:

I believe it was an illegal pick. But I highly doubt Welker tried to "hurt" anyone. When has Welker been known to hurt opposing players during his time with Miami or better yet... New England? He's not a dirty player and if anything, made a physical play during the playoffs. A physical football play. Talib just so happened to get hurt/banged up... Illegal pick/screen? Yes. Tried to hurt another man? Not a chance.

Yea its welkers fault Talibis made of glass .

Who cares. Denver marched up and down the field and even if you cut the amount of posesions they scored on in half you still got the fact that the pats couldnt do crap on offense.

Sour grapes if you ask me.

Take a shot to the knees by a 175 pound guy in full pads, and then I'll laugh and say you're made of glass. Get real. Talib was TAKEN OUT by that play.

Are you blind, or didn't you notice, the Pats defense didn't fold like a cheap suit until AFTER Talib went down to injury. If Talib stays healthy the whole 4 quarters, who knows how that ballgame turns out.

And oh yeah talk about people getting taken out. Shortly before the playoffs start, Gronk's season was ended by a helmet to knee incident. And the NFL turns a blind eye. Yeaaaah... that's legit! NOT!

I hope Welker has an open 50 yard touchdown with two minutes left in two weeks, no timeouts and down 4 and drops it with no one near him. I hope he passes out on the spot from the embarrassment. Bast*rd.

I hope Welker has an open 50 yard touchdown with two minutes left in two weeks, no timeouts and down 4 and drops it with no one near him. I hope he passes out on the spot from the embarrassment. Bast*rd.

I'm more vengeful. I want someone to rack him up and hard.

Re: Wes welker illegal pick

You are both wrong. It was a 2nd and 9 play from the Denver 19. NFL.COM has the play up as part of the highlights (1:33 of the highlights)

Watch New England Patriots vs. Denver Broncos [01/19/2014] - NFL.com

You can CLEARLY see it is a text book pick play. Talib was beyond 5 yards past the line of scrimmage when Welker hit him and the ball was in the air. That makes it OPI. Plain and simple.

We were discussing the Logan Ryan flag.

Wait, wait, ...don't you guys understand what was going on? There was headhunting going on; before Welker took out Talib, Edleman took out Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. That was in response to Edleman being mugged a few times. I hardly blame Edleman fighting back but this was Welker's response. It was war out there....

Wait, wait, ...don't you guys understand what was going on? There was headhunting going on; before Wlker took out Talib, Edleman took out Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. That was in response to Edleman being mugged a few times. I hardly blame Edleman fighting back but this was Welker's response. It was war out there....

And we went limp and didn't respond.

And we went limp and didn't respond.

True. We should have responded in kind and gone after their receivers. The Patriots just did not seem to be able to do it since they always seemed to be runing behind the WRs trying catch up.

The Patriots have not had an enforcer since Rodney Harrison. I will never forget that in the preseason some some goon went after Brady. On the next defensive series Rodney just destroyed their QB; laid him out flat. There was no trouble after that.

I have to applaud Edelman for fighting back. I did not know he had it in him; I was wrong--he is a tough SOB. The Broncs were trying to beat him up or even injure him in the first quarter; it was probably in their game plan, but he got revenge. Unfortunately it lead to an escalation of the headhunting with the result that we lost Talib.

I cannot understand how all you guys missed this...

Yea its welkers fault Talibis made of glass .

Who cares. Denver marched up and down the field and even if you cut the amount of posesions they scored on in half you still got the fact that the pats couldnt do crap on offense.

Sour grapes if you ask me.
No one's asking you.

True. We should have responded in kind and gone after their receivers. The Patriots just did not seem to be able to do it since they always seemed to be runing behind the WRs trying catch up.

The Patriots have not had an enforcer since Rodney Harrison. I will never forget that in the preseason some some goon went after Brady. On the next defensive series Rodney just destroyed their QB; laid him out flat. There was no trouble after that.

I have to applaud Edelman for fighting back. I did not know he had it in him; I was wrong--he is a tough SOB. The Broncs were trying to beat him up or even injure him in the first quarter; it was probably in their game plan, but he got revenge. Unfortunately it lead to an escalation of the headhunting with the result that we lost Talib.

That's one reason Adrian Wilson was signed.

I don't understand why we were missing tackles running upright past skill position offensive receivers who were noticeably limping. Go low like the rules emphasize at that point. Blow them up at line. Take the head shots like we received repeatedly (albeit, not defenseless).

Don't worry. He'll drop it.

Don't blame the player. Blame the team that let him get away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back