PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker vs. Kyle Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

brady199

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Wilson seemed to have a rough day against Boldin. What kind of day do you expect Wes to have? Also do you think he will have help covering Welker? They seem to think Revis can take care of Moss all by himself, so that would leave someone else to help on welker.

I think the real mismatch is going to be Rob Gronkowksi (6'6") vs Jim Leonhard (5'8") over the middle of the field. He's almost a foot taller than that the guy and has 75lbs on him as well.

Last edited:
Wilson is gonna get owned. If I were the OC I'd call plays against the rookie all day long.

Wilson seemed to have a rough day against Boldin. What kind of day do you expect Wes to have? Also do you think he will have help covering Welker? They seem to think Revis can take care of Moss all by himself, so that would leave someone else to help on welker.

He will not have help covering Welker if we use a spread formation and split out wide. Ryan rarely plays zone over, so he will be forced to play Welker one on one.

I think the real mismatch is going to be Rob Gronkowksi (6'6") vs Jim Leonhard (5'8") over the middle of the field. He's almost a foot taller than that the guy and has 75lbs on him as well.

Where is the poster who always says "we have b-i-n-g-o"?

He will not have help covering Welker if we use a spread formation and split out wide. Ryan rarely plays zone over, so he will be forced to play Welker one on one.

Agreed and I think real wildcard will be how the Pats use Edelemen and Welker together on the field.. this could create some huge mismatches..

If Edleman isn't available, we might try spliting Hernadez out wide and see if we can cause additional mismatches or try the 3 TE set.

Last edited:
Agreed and I think real wildcard will be how the Pats use Edelemen and Welker together on the field.. this could create some huge mismatches..

Don't be surprised to see Gronk split out wide.

I think that works in Wilson's favor. Welker thrives in zones finding the soft spots. Wilson looks very quick to me.

I think the TE's are going to be where Brady goes a lot.

They seem to think Revis can take care of Moss all by himself, so that would leave someone else to help on welker.

I know the Jest fans think Revis can cover Moss without any help, but it's well proven that he does need at least a modicum of safety help. Ryan, for all his bluster, knows this too. If the Pats go spread, there won't be extra guys to help with Welker. For that matter, if the Jets keep up an aggressive blitz, there won't be extra personnel anyway.

Someone mentioned screens to beat the blitz before, but Welker gives the Pats different options that are less risky. Unless the Pats get out of the spread or the Jets call off the blitz, I don't see how Welker gets double-covered. I can't think of a scenario where Welker gets double-covered and Brady doesn't find someone deep. I think Rexy will let the underneath stuff go to avoid giving up the 20+ play. Quick scores will kill the Jest. Everyone knows this.

Don't be surprised to see Gronk split out wide.

I seem to recall a certain touchdown play last week where this was the case. He's the type of player who can block on the line or out in space.

Pretty good catching the football too.

Wilson is gonna get owned. If I were the OC I'd call plays against the rookie all day long.

I'd also have Tate run go routes against Cromartie all game long. At the very least that should be good for several D-Holding calls.

I think I want Gronk's blocking more vs the Jets. But the idea of Hernandez vs Leonard makes me smile. :)

I seem to recall a certain touchdown play last week where this was the case. He's the type of player who can block on the line or out in space.

Pretty good catching the football too.

He was actually in the off position (one yard down from the OL) in that TD in the 4th quarter. What I'm talking about is not to be surprised to see him lined up as a flanker.

I really REALLY hope they think Revis can take care of Moss all by himself with no saftey help or anything.

Wilson is going to get targeted all day. I wouldn't be surprised to see Revis roll over to Welker and the team place Cromartie on Moss in a Cover 1 situation, especially if Welker starts to have his way with Wilson. Another interesting match-up would be Tate on Cromartie. If Moss is taken out of the game with Revis and safety help, Tate essentially becomes our deep threat. How many times does Brady target him?

Last edited:
Wilson is going to get targeted all day. I wouldn't be surprised to see Revis roll over to Welker and the team place Cromartie on Moss in a Cover 1 situation, especially if Welker starts to have his way with Wilson. Another interesting match-up would be Tate on Cromartie. If Moss is taken out of the game with Revis and safety help, Tate essentially becomes our deep threat. How many times down Brady target him?

I like the way you think.

Cromartie is just about as fast as Revis (same 40 times at the Combine, but now a bit older) while Wilson is a step slower (4.43 vs. 4.38). He is younger, so there may not be much difference in current speed.

Cromartie had the best vertical jump of the three, but he definitely was having a hard time with Boldin who appears slower than Tate.

Since Tate was injured, we don't have a 40 time for him, but based on his two kick returns (97 yards in 12 seconds in pads while dodging tackles) we know he is explosive as well as elusive. Not sure who they have who can keep up with him.

I like the way you think.

Cromartie is just about as fast as Revis (same 40 times at the Combine, but now a bit older) while Wilson is a step slower (4.43 vs. 4.38). He is younger, so there may not be much difference in current speed.

Cromartie had the best vertical jump of the three, but he definitely was having a hard time with Boldin who appears slower than Tate.

Since Tate was injured, we don't have a 40 time for him, but based on his two kick returns (97 yards in 12 seconds in pads while dodging tackles) we know he is explosive as well as elusive. Not sure who they have who can keep up with him.
Speed and jumping have never been Cromartie's problem. Being a fundamentally good corner who avoids being out of position/tackles well have been.

One thing they should try is a few quick passes to Tate if Cromartie is playing soft on him. Cromartie's ability (or lack thereof) to bust plays up near the line of scrimmage is something worth testing, especially with a guy who is as dynamic with the ball in his hands as Tate is.

Wilson is going to get targeted all day. I wouldn't be surprised to see Revis roll over to Welker and the team place Cromartie on Moss in a Cover 1 situation, especially if Welker starts to have his way with Wilson. Another interesting match-up would be Tate on Cromartie. If Moss is taken out of the game with Revis and safety help, Tate essentially becomes our deep threat. How many times down Brady target him?

I think Revis is going to stay on Moss. Ryan would rather die by a thousand cuts (Welker) than get a knife to the heart that would come with a big Brady-Moss play. That type of play is far more demoralizing to the immature team that he knows he has, than the 10-15 incremental completions he knows Welker will find a way to make anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes