PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker = Toughest Player in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

1%er

Banned
Reaction score
This is a great article on WW and what he means to the Patriots plus the NFL as a whole.

Steve Solloway: Looking up to little tough man | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

I'm not claiming to be a football expert but I watch a ton of games for multiple decades and IMO WW is the toughest player in the NFL. He is 185lbs man who takes brutal hits week in and week out. I see him walking back to the huddles on some plays and feel bad for him.

WW is one of those few players that I'd be ok with the Patriots overpaying for. We need to lock him up. We paid close to $100 million to 2 men who are 260lbs plus each in AH and Gronk but yet the 185lb man we have not yet extended played in more games than the two of them combined this year.(This is not a knock on AH or Gronk)

Maybe, but he's not very athletic :D

IIRC Wes Welker just about had his head twisted off in the Ravens game earlier this season. No flag, no complaints, just keeps going ... What a player! :rocker:

There are a lot of tough players in the NFL.

Anquan Bolden (Ravens) had a severe concussion and had his entire jaw rewired...... He played the next Sunday.

But nobody takes a beating on a weekly basis like Wes Welker.

Actually, the toughest players in the NFL are probably RBs.

But Welker comes next. No other receiver takes as many hard shots.

Actually, the toughest players in the NFL are probably RBs.

But Welker comes next. No other receiver takes as many hard shots.

RBs don't usually take big hits like Welker does. Whens the last time you saw Ridley get crushed over the middle?

Last edited:
Pound for Pound Welker has to be the toughest.

Think about some of the hits those 200, 250+ guys put on him and he bounces back up.

This is a great article on WW and what he means to the Patriots plus the NFL as a whole.

Steve Solloway: Looking up to little tough man | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

I'm not claiming to be a football expert but I watch a ton of games for multiple decades and IMO WW is the toughest player in the NFL. He is 185lbs man who takes brutal hits week in and week out. I see him walking back to the huddles on some plays and feel bad for him.

WW is one of those few players that I'd be ok with the Patriots overpaying for. We need to lock him up. We paid close to $100 million to 2 men who are 260lbs plus each in AH and Gronk but yet the 185lb man we have not yet extended played in more games than the two of them combined this year.(This is not a knock on AH or Gronk)

I like Welker and think he is tops possession receiver in the league but he isn't a #1 and nor is a spring chicken with no injury past. I wouldn't invest a ton of money in him. No more than 8 for 2 with ideally 6 for 3. While we have a glaring need at WR next season, we have cap room to improve our roster quite a bit from where it is now heading into next season. I'd hate to see the majority put into one player. He has to be reasonable.

And probably the most productive player in the NFL too. :D

I like Welker and think he is tops possession receiver in the league but he isn't a #1 and nor is a spring chicken with no injury past. I wouldn't invest a ton of money in him. No more than 8 for 2 with ideally 6 for 3. While we have a glaring need at WR next season, we have cap room to improve our roster quite a bit from where it is now heading into next season. I'd hate to see the majority put into one player. He has to be reasonable.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but anyone who hasn't noticed how far Welker (with Brady's help) has put the team on his back on third down and in the red zone in the last few weeks hasn't been watching the same games as me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but anyone who hasn't noticed how far Welker (with Brady's help) has put the team on his back on third down and in the red zone in the last few weeks hasn't been watching the same games as me.

I know how important he is to this team and I don't want Welker to leave but if it comes down to 4 impact players for the price of 1, I'd be hesitant to give him the contract he wants. He's also had a lot of drops this year and a bunch at crucial downs on drives.

Moss was getting I think 9 for 3 years after 07, Welker shouldn't get that kind of coin imo.

Last edited:
12132560-mmmain.jpg

He looks bad.

it will be an interesting offseason with him

He isn't a true #1 receiver and he did hurt his knee, but his knee is clearly fine, He DOES have that intangible quality of being on the same page with Brady ALWAYS. He typically leads the league in catches since being here and Brady loves him. Hopefully he will be reasonable.

That is why Edelman will never be able to take over for him. Edelman becomes a quick favorite of Josh and we lose games at the start of the season. Then he has a couple GREAT games and POOF, hurt. Welker is made of stone, Edelman is made of glass.

Has he ever even been hurt aside from his knee? I don't remember him missing any games from injury

That is why Edelman will never be able to take over for him. Edelman becomes a quick favorite of Josh and we lose games at the start of the season. Then he has a couple GREAT games and POOF, hurt. Welker is made of stone, Edelman is made of glass.

Has he ever even been hurt aside from his knee? I don't remember him missing any games from injury

As far as I can recall the ACL is the only major injury. When I stated injury past, I didn't mean chronic injuries. The problem with Welker is the ACL and his age. He will be 32 in May, and while that isn't old, it isn't young by WR and NFL standards.

I hope he retires a Patriot with multiple rings but he must be reasonable with his wants. I just don't see how it's smart to throw a large sum of money with longer than a 3 year deal at a 32 year old WR when we are trying to get younger and build for the future while still trying to win championships now.

Last edited:
You could make an argument that WW is pound for pound one of the tougher guys in the league. But toughest over offensive linemen? They will, figuratively, have bones sticking out of their skin and keep playing. It's a position that requires taking a non stop high force beating. MLBs? Their positions should be listed as high speed cranium battering rams.

That ain't a knock on WW -- he's a tough SOB. And the position will sometimes mean taking those scary, not ready for it, high speed impacts that should frighten every human being enough to find a different line of work. And when you stack him up against some of the other big time receivers out their who will alligator arm a pass at the drop of a hat, WW 's toughness shines through. But some of the other positions require the kind of non stop, unending pain endurance that should probably have you declared insane if weren't for the fact they are wearing an NFL helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots