PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker suffers concussion in preseason game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baboon

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I watched the replay of the game this morning on nfl network.

Houston 1s had a good time with Denver 1s despite not having Clowney and Watt.

Seyton threw an interception when everbody expected it to be the 1s last drive. But they stayed in there. Ultimately, Denver scored twice in the final minute, but Welker received a concussion.

Last season, I thought Welker should have quit playing due to concussion. Should there be a limit to the number of diagnosed concussions?

If you were Welker, would you come back?

Denver Broncos' Wes Welker suffers concussion - NFL.com

Wes Welker sustains concussion during Broncos vs. Texans - The Denver Post

Last edited:
Please Wes retire. You were a great Patriot and a great player. But the time has come 3 concussions in less then a year is too much. You are young and have a young wife. Walk away while you still have your health. There is life after football

I hope Wes retires and rides off in to the sunset. His long term health is going to be in jeopardy if he continues to play.

I agree. Not because he is on the Broncos; I would love to see him vs our new defense. But I thought he should have retired last year. His routes are too risky for scumbags like Swearinger.

Swearinger = bernard pollard

Have to Wonder if its random, that slot wrs playing with Manning getting concussions?

probably not completely random.....even though mannings accuracy has always been impressive, his velocity is not as good as brady on those passes.....i hope wes does whats in his best long term interests and wish him well.....when you have a safety or lb bearing down on you, you want the ball right into your body and FAST.....so you can defend or prepare yourself against getting clobbered....i give brady credit for his style protecting the guy better than peyton

The NFL safety commission should ban Manning. It's like his main goal is to make sure Wes won't be able to deliver his speech when he gets his red Patriots HOF jacket.

I hope Wes retires and rides off in to the sunset. His long term health is going to be in jeopardy if he continues to play.

Three concussions in a year means his health is already in jeopardy. He could be fine, or he could have already triggered a slide into serious mental and physical health issues. Nobody knows until it happens, and the conditions/diseases seems to be entirely individualized.

Please Wes retire. You were a great Patriot and a great player. But the time has come 3 concussions in less then a year is too much. You are young and have a young wife. Walk away while you still have your health. There is life after football

Three in his last 10 games, which I believe is unheard of (at least for those that were reported).

For Wes, I hope he has no long term effects and it might be time someone (family) sits him down and tell him to think about the future.

Have to Wonder if its random, that slot wrs playing with Manning getting concussions?
I think several of us had this thought when Wes first went to Manning. It's one of the things Brady does better than most (trying to put his receivers in a position to NOT be leveled).

Do not want to rain on anyone's parade, but pretty confident that most NFL players by the time they hit the bright lights have had at least three concussions on their football journey...

Sometimes I think Welker has more b's than brains...

Wes has definitely had more than the 3 concussions he sustained with denver. Did he get any with NE?

Last season, I thought Welker should have quit playing due to concussion. Should there be a limit to the number of diagnosed concussions?

Maybe not an overall limit but perhaps a lengthy mandatory "sit" period for a certain number within a certain time frame. That sort of thing might make sense. At least, that seems to be the problem we are identifying here. If such a thing existed, it might provide some incentive to teams, coaches and players to prevent repeat concussions.

At this point, I really wish Wes would just retire. We've gone beyond unhealthy right into downright scary.

Wes has definitely had more than the 3 concussions he sustained with denver. Did he get any with NE?

I remember when he got lit up in that Steeler game in 2008. The sound echoed around the stadium. Brutal.

I agree with the others; there comes a point that eaking out extra years in the NFL isn't worth drooling and forgetting your name in 10 years. He's made money, had a fine career, and while he likely won't win a Super Bowl, he's played in three of them. Move on, dude.

That video is tough to watch. He needs to take care of himself, and at his age with all these hits, he needs to take the long-term consequences of concussions very seriously.

It was a clean hit, and Wes had his head down going into Swearinger's shoulder. Swearinger could have put his hands out. But Manning threw the ball up enough that Wes really had no time at all to make that catch, feel the pressure and get down to avoid that hit.

Take it slow, Wes. Do what's best.

What was the flag for on that play, defenseless receiver?

Edit: Nvmd. It was Personal Foul for a hit to the head.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back