PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker Speculation thread (pure opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Speculation thread (pure opinion)

A one year rental at the tune of 10 million dollars when we will not get anything in return just hasn't made much sense to me lately from a Belichickian standpoint.

Your argument presumes there is something better to do with the 10 mill.
There isnt

No, but having 10 million more dollars to carry over on top of the money we already have would make sense in a future building standpoint of the team.

Again, I'm not saying that's what I want, but that the thought has been out there.

It's a downtime for the boards, I thought I'd at least bring up something worthwhile/creative.

Most will not agree with the thought, I stated that in my first sentence.

The idea of saving that money has been growing on me a bit, looking more at the bigger picture.

Based on their future cap dollars thus far, the Pats do not need the $10 million to build for the future. They are already expected to be about $20 million under the cap next year before roll overs and roster cuts.

Fire_Window_Fall.gif

I have no opinion on this Welker thread. I just can't stop watching that guy lighting himself on fire. That is one of the greatest things I have ever seen. Going out in a blaze of glory

The likelihood of a fullback on the roster is sheer speculation on your part. The ability to run the football requires the offensive line to run block which was absent against the Philadelphia Eagles this preseason.

The onus of the TOP factor is on the New England Patriots defense; the ability for the New England Patriots defense to get off the field on third down was a major stumbling block last season.

Whether or not there is a FB is not really the big issue. The thought has been proven that we have gone to more TE's, gaining them by the pound. We know the TE's are an important factor moving forward.

The running game is also thought to be more in use this year, so the balance needs to be there a bit more.

More WR's who have proven success in this system have been brought in, showing the future stats of Welker dropping from a career year.

Again, it's the idea of getting as much in return as possible, since we'll never have that option again.

I'm not suggesting any kind of pessimism or that there would be anything even wrong with the move, to be honest. I would not personally agree with it, but one can certainly make a case for selling high.

It's not 'just' the Llyod move. It's the solid play by the TE's, allowing for a positive feeling moving forward on that aspect, especially after last year. It's the stronger showing of the defense, the likelihood of the running game having a lot lessened looks for Welker's stats next year, the addition of a guy like Gaffney who has good chemistry with Brady in the past. The solid camp from Edelman MAY/MAY NOT have something to do with it, but that's not where I'm going with this, as that issue has been played to death already. Only Belichick knows his feelings on #11's future in the slot--if there is any.

Basically...it's the thought that Belichick will try and get something in return for Welker at his highest point while he still can, and the fact that a LOT of money would be saved in the process.

What Belichick wants in return from Welker at his highest point is production. And by all accounts he's had a stellar camp. Better even than Edleman...

Belichick isn't tight against the cap. This season or for the forseeable future. He'd rather have excess weapons than excess cap space next month. So should you.

PS we can't keep a backup TE healthy to save our souls this TC and Ahern always gets a little ding. Last time out so the Gronk. Gaffney has actually had a meh camp, OK but nothing to write home about and he's dinged up at the moment. You saw what Stallworth brings to the table the other night.

This isn't kind of a down time. The season is almost upon us, cut downs start next week. Quit using that as an excuse for another idiotic trade Welker thread.

We all thought bb was crazy when he shipped Seymour out. To be honest, I think Wes would be easier to swallow. Our wr ranks are stacked (not so at de/dl a few years back), the offense has carried this team to within a grasp. The formula that worked was the defense carrying the game managing, BALANCED, offense.

I don't think a trade is all that crazy, I think supa covered some good points. The question is, can bb find someone willing to part with the required picks/player(ot anyone?). I hadn't really thought about it, but it certainly seems a possibility with McDaniel's back in town.

Correct me if I'm wrong (deuce! ;P ) but he seems to love a decent running game with quick, receiving ability backs (screen!), with a stretch the field receiving attack (lloyd, check. Hernandez, check. Gaffney is/was a great blocking wr. Gronk, well what needs to be said). Edes could certainly fill in the assumed reduced ww roll. The current group of backs is incredibly diverse in talent (although they all need to work on pass pro), and McDaniel's has a history of utilizing these.

A Wes welker trade certainly shouldn't be out of the question. The question is, what gets it done? Bb uncharacteristicly dumped his accumulated draft ammo last year, did he have something in mind to recoup it?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Based on their future cap dollars thus far, the Pats do not need the $10 million to build for the future. They are already expected to be about $20 million under the cap next year before roll overs and roster cuts.

I realize that, Rob.

One could certainly make the case that having more cap room moving forward helps the future of the team and the retention of key players.

This isn't kind of a down time. The season is almost upon us, cut downs start next week. Quit using that as an excuse for another idiotic trade Welker thread.

Damn, Mo. I always show you the upmost respect. I wouldn't have any idea why you'd want to take it there when all I'm doing is talking respectful football.

That's extremely harsh, classless, and uncalled for. I didn't mean for you or anyone to take anything personally by it, or offend anyone.

And yes, it is a 'down time here.' The same threads have been up for awhile. I've never mentioned trading Welker before ever. I'm sorry that it's a sore subject for you, but by all accounts we aren't keeping him past this year.

Last edited:

And by all accounts he's had a stellar camp. Better even than Edleman...

And again, it has nothing to do with my defense of Edelman in the past, as I have said multiple times that Edelman can never reproduce Welker on any level.

Only Belichick knows if he has plans for Edelman or not, no one else.

I'm not condoning the use of Edelman for trading Welker. I'm saying that the thought has crossed my mind based on several factors and that stating why it may/may not make sense.

To put things in perspective, Julian Edelman has a better chance to be cut than Wes Welker traded this season.

True, but could Edleman be 50% of WW next season? Yes, its possible at a fraction of the cost.

Welker has been the only Patriots receiver capable of getting consistent separation from a DB. Now the Patriots have two with the acquisition of Lloyd. It would be a mistake to trade Welker given the O's struggles in the Superbowl.

If Welker isn't on the Patriots roster after this year then so be it. This season MUST and I do mean MUST result in a championship run given the stocked nature of the roster. I'd feel a lot safer in the Patriots' chances with perhaps the greatest slot receiver of the modern era on the roster.

Let whatever D's the Patriots will face deal with Brady, Gronkowski, Welker, Lloyd and Hernandez.

Last edited:

One delusional poster on jetsinsipid.com thinks it's a trade for 2nd string nickle back,Kyle Wilson.

Kyle Wilson?????:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No, but having 10 million more dollars to carry over on top of the money we already have would make sense in a future building standpoint of the team.

Again, I'm not saying that's what I want, but that the thought has been out there.

It's a downtime for the boards, I thought I'd at least bring up something worthwhile/creative.

Most will not agree with the thought, I stated that in my first sentence.

The idea of saving that money has been growing on me a bit, looking more at the bigger picture.

What are you thinking the Patriots get in return from the Indianapolis Colts?

One delusional poster on jetsinsipid.com thinks it's a trade for 2nd string nickle back,Kyle Wilson.

Yeah, somehow I don't see the phrases "having my checkbook ready," and "parting with a high draft pick for a SERIOUS veteran/starter" as equalling Kyle Wilson.

More WR's who have proven success in this system have been brought in, showing the future stats of Welker dropping from a career year.
Lloyd, Gaffney, Stallworth have yet to catch a regular season pass this year with the New England Patriots offense. Welker is still a vital cog in the New England Patriots passing offense.

Again, it's the idea of getting as much in return as possible, since we'll never have that option again.
2013 NFL Draft picks won't improve the New England Patriots during the 2012-13 NFL Season.

With regard to maximizing return, don't trade away draft picks for over-the-hill stiffs like Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth.

What are you thinking the Patriots get in return from the Indianapolis Colts?

Nothing more than a high pick and the ability to remove 10 million off the books. I'm not sure that anyone would give up a 1st, but at least a 2nd and something in addition to that. Maybe a 2nd and a 4th for example. Only guessing of course.

I'm not condoning it (at all), but the thought does make sense when assuming that we'll get nothing at all in return for him after one last season.

...Again, it's the idea of getting as much in return as possible, since we'll never have that option again.

Welker's on field production + happy Brady = most return possible

we MUST be related...jetsinsipid...pure gold ,Jerry

Well, Kyle Wilson could start for most teams. Just ask any delusional Jets fan.

Welker is still a vital cog in the New England Patriots passing offense.

I'll do you one better and say that he is THE most important player besides Brady for the offense. I've said that many times.

I'm not saying that I would want him gone. I don't.

I'm saying that one could make the case that it may make sense, and that Belichick probably considered it this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back