PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

wes welker on the move??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crap, I'm only $500,000 short.

can't believe they'd trade him...that's weird

Funny,this news comes just a week before the trade deadline :p :cool:

it's weird that a guy who just got married has to sell his batchelor pad where he probably scored with lots of chicks his new wife doesnt want to think about???

Or that with the POSSIBILITY of not getting re-signed next year that he prefers the flexibility of living in a rennted house rather than buying a new one.

How that all leads to the thought of an in season trade is a bit beyond me.

I dont suppose we can infer from this that Welker is close to signing a long-term deal and is just looking to buy a bigger house? :eek:

I heard Wes was scouting out Penthouses in the Meadowlands,NJ area :eek:

Trading Welker now would be out of character for Belichick, I have never seen him quit on a season before.

Trading Welker now would be out of character for Belichick, I have never seen him quit on a season before.

I still look at how few draft picks the Pats have next year and someone may go next week an additional pick next year,Welker isn't likely that guy but never rule anyone out......

I do however think there is no chance the team picks up anyone except maybe later a cheap JAG that is currently bagging groceries at Price Chopper.

I still look at how few draft picks the Pats have next year and someone may go next week an additional pick next year,Welker isn't likely that guy but never rule anyone out......

I do however think there is no chance the team picks up anyone except maybe later a cheap JAG that is currently bagging groceries at Price Chopper.

FWIW, any team that has less than ~$5M in cap room is immediately out of the running (since they have to be able to take on the rest of his 2012 salary). Plus that team apparently can't extend his contract, either, until the end of the season.

Last edited:
I find it hard to belevie any team would trade for him. It is not worth it. They will get him for the rest of this year but then he will be a free agent.

I have no idea where this particular article led to the thought of trading him from?

I read the article (from 2 chicks who write about this kind of stuff, real estate, celebrities moving, etc) and did not come to any conclusion that trading him was ever brought up.

I don't even think the OP was inferring that either. He said "for anyone who is worried about Wes' contract situation next year" (paraphrasing)

Maybe it is as simple as they want to have chilren and prefer to bring them up in a less urban setting..

The article only means that he is selling his condo.. not much else can be deduced, but wait until sports talk radio.. by the end of the day he will be characterized as being run out of town by evil Belichick.

Maybe it is as simple as they want to have chilren and prefer to bring them up in a less urban setting..

The article only means that he is selling his condo.. not much else can be deduced, but wait until sports talk radio.. by the end of the day he will be characterized as being run out of town by evil Belichick.

Thats pretty much all it says

he just got married so he need a big house for he's kids and he's not going to drop millions on a house if he's not going to be playing in boston next year...as far as a trade this year that would mean the pats are throwing in the white flag on the season and i dont see them doing that but i also dont see wes comeing back next year

As hard as it is to say.....you trade a player (that you are going to have to lose anyways after the season) when the value is at it's highest. For example, if a team is offering a #1 right now for Welk....you might as well grab it while it is there. I think that the Pats can get by without Wes with Edelman and Perhaps Saras filling in.......You will never be able to reproduce Welker....the guy is legendary obviously....one of the greatest slot receivers in the history of the game. You also hate to see a player of his character, a true PATRIOT, ever leave the fold....but time moves on for everyone....anyways,....on to St. Louis...in BB we trust!!!!

I'm not going to put too much stock in that report. I wouldn't put anything past Belichick, but trading Welker at this point would be absolutely insane.

Welker's lifestyle has changed. He is no longer single and may not want the city lifestyle anymore.

Also, he has to deal with reality of a player in his 30s. He doesn't know where he is going to play next year and, even if he stays here, he may only have a few years left in the league. He lives in CA during the offseason and that will probably be his home after he retires. Many players in their 30s opt to rent rather than own with the uncertainty of where and how much longer they play.

I really doubt Welker will be traded. If Welker is selling because he knows he won't be here, he is preparing for a divorce in the offseason, not next week.

Trading Welker given the health and performance of the young TE's and Edelman not to mention Lloyd's assimilation remaining a work in progress at best would be assinine. And due to his age and contract requirements the only takers for his talent would be potential rival contenders.

This is basically an old story that has just developed some potential significance in the Herald's quest for readers. Wes talked about his and Ana's plans last summer. Said they were looking to buy or build a suburban family oriented home here. Although in the absence of a long term contract you'd have to be an idiot to continue the search or pull the trigger knowing your long range situation is up in the air. Even Brady pulled back on his plans for a family home here until after he got his extension. Something he was planning on doing before Ben was born in 2009. But then they hit a little extension snag or lag time as he battled back from his ACL. So between not getting his extension done until the fall of 2010 and the lockout, he didn't carry out his longstanding plan until this offseason. According to Breer, whose brother is a realtor, Brady and Co. now reside in Brookline, possibly in the estate they were on the verge of buying back in the winter of 2009-10 but held off on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes