PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker disappeared (on the field) after that hit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wes Welker dissaperared (on the field) after that hit...

We can hardly blame the outcome of this game on Wes Welkers' ineffectiveness -- whatever the cause -- but concussions do often have delayed effect, probably because of a delay in the onset of swelling following the injury. I once was concussed by being in a severe auto wreck but the effects weren't noticeable immediately.

I *am* quite concerned about a possible pernicious effect of the NFL's well-publicized campaign against playing with concussions: it looks like defensive players might be be trying to capitalize on this with even more headshots designed to take star players out of multiple games. IMO, an egregious deliberately injurious hit like the one on Welker today needs to be punished not just with a penalty and a fine, but with an immediate ejection and a suspension without pay as well. *That* should deter even the dirtiest headhunter attempting to help his team by taking out an opponent's star player...

Last edited:

We can hardly blame the outcome of this game on Wes Welkers' ineffectiveness -- whatever the cause -- but concussions do often have delayed effect, probably because of a delay in the onset of swelling following the injury. I once was concussed by being in a severe auto wreck but the effects weren't noticeable immediately.

I *am* quite concerned about a possible pernicious effect of the NFL's well-publicized campaign against playing with concussions: it looks like defensive players might be be trying to capitalize on this with even more headshots designed to take star players out of multiple games. IMO, an egregious deliberately injurious hit like the one on Welker today needs to be punished not just with a penalty and a fine, but with an immediate ejection and a suspension without pay as well. *That* should deter even the dirtiest headhunter attempting to help his team by taking out an opponent's star player...

I don't think it was on purpose. I think Eric Smith is a bonehead and turns his body into a missile much to often.

I don't think it was on purpose. I think Eric Smith is a bonehead and turns his body into a missile much to often.

I don't see how it could not have been deliberate. He leads with his head, not his arms and he aims right for the helmet (in both this Welker case as well as with Boldin: YouTube - Anquan Boldin Knocked Out By Eric Smith - Cardinals vs Jets - you can see it clearly in the slow motion replays at the end).

Imho ... dirty pool here.

edit:

/agree

Last edited:

Has anyone found video footage of this hit yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes