PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker. BEAST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The annoying thing about talking about the franchise tag is that there are two different scenarios.

(1) Using the franchise tag to "buy time" to negotiate (as they did with Wilfork).

(2) Using the franchise tag as a prelude to a trade or to keep a player for an extra year (as they did with Cassel/Asante).

I cannot see (2) happening, but I can believe they would resort to (1) if absolutely necessary. That said, Welker has said he's not solely in it for the money, and I can't really see him wanting to go anywhere else.

I agree with you, and think that option 2 is not likely. But the only way I could even see option 1 playing out is if they couldn't reach a preliminary deal, and if Welker really wants to stay here for "fair" money, that shouldn't be a problem.

Option 1 (paying him 10-11 million under the tag, or whatever it is) is not a choice the Pats want, and it's likely not a choice that Welker wants either. I don't think it will be the greatest of signs if option 1 plays out, but then again--it did work with Wilfork and Mankins, but with that said, either one of them were happy with the initial back and forth.

I'm hoping for a nice smooth offer/counter offer, with a compromise in the middle, but that's in a perfect world. Regardless, I still think that they should have just tried hard to re-up him. It's not like we don't know what we're getting, or if he's back from injury etc. Like I said, I do believe that waiting is going to cost them..and it may be more significant than they even realize. By Welker continuing to tear it up, he will not take what he would have a month ago. At least his agent will not take that.

I'm hoping for a nice smooth offer/counter offer, with a compromise in the middle, but that's in a perfect world. Regardless, I still think that they should have just tried hard to re-up him. It's not like we don't know what we're getting, or if he's back from injury etc. Like I said, I do believe that waiting is going to cost them..and it may be more significant than they even realize. By Welker continuing to tear it up, he will not take what he would have a month ago. At least his agent will not take that.

The key thing, though, is that in the salary cap era, there's never been another player like Wes Welker to hit the market. As JMarr noted, he's not Megatron/André Johnson/etc. Not that he isn't a hell of an athlete in his own right, but he's just not viewed the same. So it's simply impossible to say what he should/will get paid.

The key thing, though, is that in the salary cap era, there's never been another player like Wes Welker to hit the market. As JMarr noted, he's not Megatron/André Johnson/etc. Not that he isn't a hell of an athlete in his own right, but he's just not viewed the same. So it's simply impossible to say what he should/will get paid.

I started off in TC thinking somewhere near 6-6 1/2 per; but 1/4 into this new yr I am thinking closer to 7-7 1/2 per.

I think that would certainly be considered fair for both sides involved.

Like you said, he isn't in the same category as the outside split end deep threat. But in the same token, he is just as dangerous in many ways, and may even be considered to be just as consistant as the 'go-to' guy. That will possibly keep him a bit closer to those elite 10 million dollar guys than I originally thought.

Just for kicks--what is your take on why they don't lock him up sooner, rather than later? I understand about priorities, not wanting distractions during the season etc--but one would think that Brady's favorite target when the chips are down should be a bigger priority. I honestly feel as though by waiting they are in turn, screwing themselves to some degree. It's not like his price will go down, or even stay the same.

My fantasy team is 4-0 thanks to this guy, I love him haha.

Seriously though, when the chips are down, this is one those ever-dependable guys.

I started off in TC thinking somewhere near 6-6 1/2 per; but 1/4 into this new yr I am thinking closer to 7-7 1/2 per.

I think that would certainly be considered fair for both sides involved.

Like you said, he isn't in the same category as the outside split end deep threat. But in the same token, he is just as dangerous in many ways, and may even be considered to be just as consistant as the 'go-to' guy. That will possibly keep him a bit closer to those elite 10 million dollar guys than I originally thought.

Just for kicks--what is your take on why they don't lock him up sooner, rather than later? I understand about priorities, not wanting distractions during the season etc--but one would think that Brady's favorite target when the chips are down should be a bigger priority. I honestly feel as though by waiting they are in turn, screwing themselves to some degree. It's not like his price will go down, or even stay the same.

They probably waited because his production dropped off last season when he came back from the knee injury. Unless Taylor Price can put up 100/1200, the Patriots need to resign Welker. Brady said it today, he's the 'heart and soul' of this team. He's a Troy Brown type in the locker room with much better on the field offensive production. I think he gets around $5-7 million dollars per year for 3-4 years. And I think that's a very fair deal.

Welker once said he's made more money than he ever dreamed to, and I don't see him holding out because of a franchise tag.

Welker has already said he has more money than he ever thought he would see in his entire life, he loves playing here with Brady and playing for Belichick, i dont think he will break the Patriots back here and there is nobody else they have at WR who is worth the big money.

it will get done.

They probably waited because his production dropped off last season when he came back from the knee injury. Unless Taylor Price can put up 100/1200, the Patriots need to resign Welker. Brady said it today, he's the 'heart and soul' of this team. He's a Troy Brown type in the locker room with much better on the field offensive production. I think he gets around $5-7 million dollars per year for 3-4 years. And I think that's a very fair deal.

Welker once said he's made more money than he ever dreamed to, and I don't see him holding out because of a franchise tag.

Very fair response, thank you.

The only small nit-pick or slight disagreement I may have (with their thinking, not yours) is that even though his production dropped off, he still put up close to 90 receptions. With 2 of his last 3 years being totals of 111, and 112, I wouldn't have worried too much or put much thought into "only" 86 catches. If anyone else would catch 90 balls in a yr, they'd be considered in an MVP conversation--yet when Welker does it, he's had an 'off' year...

Now if he only caught 50-60 balls last yr, then I'd understand, but I would hope that they did not put too much stock into the fact that he only hauled in 86 balls.

Welker. 73 yard catch and run.

That is all.

:rocker:

Revis is f*cking fast. My God....

I don't see a weakness in his game to be fair. Can you imagine him playing 15-20 years ago when DB's could actually touch receivers?

He's a great one.

I don't see a weakness in his game to be fair. Can you imagine him playing 15-20 years ago when DB's could actually touch receivers?

He's a great one.

He has such great closing speed. Even when he misreads a deep route, he will close in on the receiver and still make a play for the ball. You're right, he's great. Only Jet other than Mangold that I have respect for.

Great game again by wes.

Que the jets fans saying "whenever welker caught the ball revis wasn't covering him" but "for the rest of the game wes was covered like a glove by revis".

Get over it, Revis is fantastic so is Wes. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

The stats today read, Wes Welker 5 catches 124 yards. Your job was to stop him and you couldn't, deon branch 7 catches 74 yards and a TD also wasn't stopped.

Great game today Wes... pay the man.

He has such great closing speed. Even when he misreads a deep route, he will close in on the receiver and still make a play for the ball. You're right, he's great. Only Jet other than Mangold that I have respect for.

His first step is off the charts, and even if it's in the wrong direction, his balance and hips are unreal. He can shift his weight like very few can. Primetime had the best hips I've ever seen, but Revis is right up there.

Wouldn't mind McCourty watching some footage of him.

Great game again by wes.

Que the jets fans saying "whenever welker caught the ball revis wasn't covering him" but "for the rest of the game wes was covered like a glove by revis".

Get over it, Revis is fantastic so is Wes. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

The stats today read, Wes Welker 5 catches 124 yards. Your job was to stop him and you couldn't, deon branch 7 catches 74 yards and a TD also wasn't stopped.

Great game today Wes... pay the man.

I thought it was a pretty even matchup between the two. Revis had him locked down at some points, but then on others Welker clearly shook him free. The fact Brady didn't go there means nothing.

No way they designate the franchise tag on Welker--at least in my opinion.

To be honest, I still don't understand why they don't just re-sign him now. I realize that no one wants to take away focus from the weekly gameplanning, but there is a bye week coming up. By waiting, it is going to cost them more.

Agreed 100%, I think the organization has harmed itself by not extending certain players sooner, the entire Mankins saga happened because the Saints paid Jahri Evans a ton and set the entire market higher before a Mankins deal was commenced, if they got it done sooner that could have been avoided.

how can the dolphins ...love the trade :

The Patriots traded their 2nd and 7th round choices in the 2007 draft to Miami for Welker.
The Dolphins used the 2nd round choice for C/G Samson Satele. Satele, who started at center and played with an injury in 2008 (torn labrum). He was then traded after that season to the Oakland Raiders for a 2008 6th round draft choice.

The Dolphins used the 7th round choice to draft DE Abraham Wright. The Dolphins converted Wright to LB, but he had a knee injury and was placed on IR in 2007. After the 2008 draft the Dolphins waived him.:rocker:

Great game today guys. Didn't think we'd win, but actually played better than I thought. Welker is a beast. Revis did a fantastic job on him, as Jet fans thought he would, but sadly he can't cover the entire team (read on a couple sites the official tally was Welker for 1 rec/3 yds). I saw on a few replays Welker shook him free, but again it doesn't matter. Way too many weapons. Hopefully we get a different result next time we play on our turf. Its a shame our safety Eric Smith is below average, idk how he let Welker get behind him on that.

Offense just couldn't sustain anything save a couple series. It was obvious the D was wiped out on the last series when BJE ran all over them. I post now and then, but heck of a job. Defense played pretty well today, but then again our offense isn't very good. You can look at it both ways.

Great game today guys. Didn't think we'd win, but actually played better than I thought. Welker is a beast. Revis did a fantastic job on him, as Jet fans thought he would, but sadly he can't cover the entire team (read on a couple sites the official tally was Welker for 1 rec/3 yds). I saw on a few replays Welker shook him free, but again it doesn't matter. Way too many weapons. Hopefully we get a different result next time we play on our turf. Its a shame our safety Eric Smith is below average, idk how he let Welker get behind him on that.

Offense just couldn't sustain anything save a couple series. It was obvious the D was wiped out on the last series when BJE ran all over them. I post now and then, but heck of a job. Defense played pretty well today, but then again our offense isn't very good. You can look at it both ways.

Smith bit hard on the play action.

Revis came to play. Don't know about the defensive line.

Smith bit hard on the play action.

Revis came to play. Don't know about the defensive line.

It was a cover 4. The blame goes to both Revis and Eric Smith. Wes split the coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back