PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker: Anyone still think he is the best receiver in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots have to say Goodbye to Wes Welker this Offseason...our Offense can get by without him. BB and co have to focus all their attension on Defense this offseason. We won Chamiponships with Good Defenses...we are now behind the league in that area we are playing catch-up. Our Team is too bad Defensively to spend top dollar on another Offensive player. We will miss you Wes and wish you all the best...but you have played yourself out of the Patriots reach. Thank goodness for Edelman...Wes wont be miss as much in the slot that is Edelman = Welker.

Getting rid of Welker would be phenominally foolish, he has a chemistry with TFB and field navigation instincts that are second to none. One of the biggest errors with the franchise is that they havent adequately supported TFB with WR talent, the one year we were stacked we broke records.

If we want success then TFB needs more weapons and protection, not less.

He's in the running but more importantly, he is the toughest, bar none.

Give me one receiver that you'd rather go to war with then Wes F***ing Welker.

The guy is amazing. He runs outstanding routes, has no fear going over the middle, has hands of glue...it's no wonder he thrives with a QB like Brady.

That being said, there are other receivers that either thrive elsewhere or would also be amazing with Brady throwing to them:

The guy who jumps out at me is Fitz. The guy is a big version of Welker, with no fear of going over the middle, great route running and amazing hands...probably the best hands in the game. His stats have taken a nosedive recently as the QBs throwing to him have been horrible (think Welker in Miami), but that doesn't change the fact the guy has incredible skills. If any of the top WRs need a change of scenery, it's him.

Megatron is probably the next closest thing to Randy Moss...a freak of nature that can beat even double-teams mostly due to his size. While not possessing the raw speed of Moss, he's still plenty fast and he goes across the middle more than Moss did, although not as much as Welker or Fitz. Then again, he's not asked to as much since he can do enough damage on the outside.

When healthy, Andre Johnson is another athletic beast that still thrives despite double-coverage. He's so huge and strong that he's probably the most difficult WR to take down in open space (unless it's the Texans turf doing the taking down...just ask Welker).

I'd put these three guys above Welker without hesitation and that's not a knock on Wes. He's amazing, but so are they.

Guys I'd put Wes over: Steve Smith, Dwayne Bowe, Roddy White, Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Hakeem Nicks, DJax, Greg Jennings, Marques Colston and any of the other names that get thrown in the top-10 (or even top-5) WR discussion. Some of them are amazing talents and may be better at stretching the D than Welker, but they come up short in other areas where Wes excels.

Regards,
Chris

I personally think it's Larry. I've never seen a receiver carry a team like he did for the 08 Cardinals.

If he actually had a QB he would be 100+ receptions,1300-1500 yards 10+ TD every season and it's not like his numbers are far off even with the crap he is playing with.

Welker is a beast.

Don't care what anyone says the guy pisses excellence.

slot, outside doesn't matter.
He may not be the best in the league, but theres no-one I'd rather have.

Sign the beast.

Is Welker a system receiver, or can he be effective as he is here in any offense?

Who cares? He did pretty well in Miami in 2006 leading that pathetic team in receptions.

The Patriots have to say Goodbye to Wes Welker this Offseason...our Offense can get by without him. BB and co have to focus all their attension on Defense this offseason. We won Chamiponships with Good Defenses...we are now behind the league in that area we are playing catch-up. Our Team is too bad Defensively to spend top dollar on another Offensive player. We will miss you Wes and wish you all the best...but you have played yourself out of the Patriots reach. Thank goodness for Edelman...Wes wont be miss as much in the slot that is Edelman = Welker.

Wawaweezah! I feel like I'm stuck somewhere in the twilight zone....

In the last two hours I have heard patriots fans, say that the organization should get rid of one of, if not THE greatest QB to step on an NFL field, their Hall of Fame Head Coach, and now their stud WR who epitomizes all the qualities one would want in a player.

Thank Christ fans don't have a say in the personel decisions.

I guess when your team is sooooo successful for sooooo long you really do get spoiled and forget how to accept a loss and realize that losses happen.

God damn it's been a rough couple of weeks......

Last edited:

In the last two hours I have heard patriots fans, say that the organization should get rid of one of, if not THE greatest QB to step on an NFL field, their Hall of Fame Head Coach, and now their stud WR who epitomizes all the qualities one would want in a player.

I guess when your team is sooooo successful for sooooo long you really do get spoiled and forget how to accept a loss and realize that losses happen.

And your point is? I think there is 70% chance that he's not here next year. The Pats have parted ways with better players...for me it wouldn't be unexpected. Don't buy any his and hers Wes Welker jerseys just yet.:D

true that!!!!

stupid-people-posters-stupid-people-shouldnt-breed.jpg

true that!!!!

I'm finding that the threads which I'm most leery about reading almost always come with latest posts that tell me everything I need to know! Pure magic! :D

Last edited:
And your point is? I think there is 70% chance that he's not here next year. The Pats have parted ways with better players...for me it wouldn't be unexpected. Don't buy any his and hers Wes Welker jerseys just yet.:D

My point is that it would be absolutely stupid to get rid of you're top receiver. You're top receiver who is the top receiver of you're team by a ridiculous margin.
The chemistry between Welker and Brady is invaluable right now, considering the circumstances this team is In. Why would you WANT to get rid of that?

And say he isn't here next year....Does that mean that he SHOULDN'T be here? The answer is no.

But your right to stay away from jerseys, as you've said they've let go plenty of others that were shocking. I have mine anyway lol I think a Gronk jersey may be next for me!

Last edited:
Give me one receiver that you'd rather go to war with then Wes F***ing Welker.

I can name a few, although I don't think that in any way diminishes Wes's skills as a players.

Sorry, but Edelman isn't half the receiver that Welker is. And most people in this thread have ignored the fact that Wes has been lining up as an OUTSIDE receiver as much as a slot receiver.

That, again is a sad commentary about the state of the Patriots WR corps, but I agree, Wes deserves credit for filling that role as best he can.

That, again is a sad commentary about the state of the Patriots WR corps, but I agree, Wes deserves credit for filling that role as best he can.

You don't think he's a good outside receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes