PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker - A Deion Branch clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Dolphins fan, I stand by everything I've ever said about Wes. He's a fine slot receiver, but he's nothing more. Of course he's going to excel when he's on an offense with so many great weapons and a team that is insanely good. Anyone would. He still doesn't possess many great abilities. Most of the time he caught passes against us today no one was covering him. He's simply nothing special and is easily replaceable. Anyone would excel in that role for the Pats because the team is so good.

Guess you didn't see him split that double coverage in Dallas last week? One reason Miami hasn't been held accountable for what they have done to themselves over the last several seasons is because their fan base is top heavy with idiots.

Guess you didn't see him split that double coverage in Dallas last week? One reason Miami hasn't been held accountable for what they have done to themselves over the last several seasons is because their fan base is top heavy with idiots.

Well I'm still fine with the trade. Samson Satele has been fantastic and center and looks like he's gonna be a good one for years to come. And offensive line has been our biggest weakness for years. So I am still very grateful for that trade. We didn't need Wes.

And as far as Miami's fan base being top heavy with idiots... that's probably true for every team. Most football fans are morons, therefore most fans of every team are idiots. I'd say, being generous, 10% of a team's fans actually know what they are talking about. That goes for Dolphins fans, Pats fans, Raiders fans, Bears fans, etc. It's not team-specific. That's just how people are.

Last edited:
Welker is better than Brown and Branch. Much more elusive.

Welker is better than Brown and Branch. Much more elusive.

Couple of things to consider:
1) It is only 7 games
2) Welker is generally being covered by LB, S and nicklebacks

Welker has been way better than anything I expected (and I actually expected good things) but I could say the same things about Moss, Stallworth, Morris and K.Brady.

Rather than heaping individual accolades on any of them, I'm just amazed how all the players on offense are perfectly in tune with each other and the gameplan they are asked to execute. The total is really greater than the sum of the parts.

My two cents: Welker is a Troy Brown clone from the 2001 season, the ultimate slot receiver and special teams player

My two cents: Welker is a Troy Brown clone from the 2001 season, the ultimate slot receiver and special teams player

Welker is fine on offense, but he's not a good returner. He doesn't have any moves and he's practically never a threat to break one. He's average at best, but that might be a stretch.

Last edited:
Couple of things to consider:
1) It is only 7 games
2) Welker is generally being covered by LB, S and nicklebacks

Welker has been way better than anything I expected (and I actually expected good things) but I could say the same things about Moss, Stallworth, Morris and K.Brady.

Rather than heaping individual accolades on any of them, I'm just amazed how all the players on offense are perfectly in tune with each other and the gameplan they are asked to execute. The total is really greater than the sum of the parts.

Well said, as usual, and it's amazing to me that these "parts" have meshed so well so quickly. I, too, wouldn't place Wes in Troy's - or even Meion's - class just yet.

:eat1: Not a Branch clone....Welker actually runs after catching the ball on a more regular basis. Love watching him run w/ reckless abandon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back