PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker - A Deion Branch clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We lost The Twig but gained The Wanker!
I for one am quite pleased.

Glad to see some here get it. If you are predicting 75 catches close to 1000 yards and a Super Bowl MVP for Welker, you have to be on some serious drugs. I'd say about 40 catches for 500 yards and 0 or 1 TDs for Welker.

We shall see. But I'm not expecting our leading receiver is going to be Moss or Stallworth. They'll have a great YPC but the majority of catches are going to be in the 10 yard range... and that means Welker's going to see a lot of balls coming his way.

Now unless this guy can't hold onto the ball - and from what I've seen that's not an issue with him - he's going to have every opportunity to at least equal last year's production and then some.

So in our system, comparisons to "Super Bowl MVP Deion Branch" aren't as farfetched as they may seem. If Dolphin fans ever wind up winning a Super Bowl in the modern day era they'll realize that the MVP tag is a bit over-rated. Every SB win has been a team effort.

Production wise it's not a stretch at all that Welker could duplicate, or even surpass, Branch. Heck, posting 999 yards and 79 catches would do it for Welker. Not at all an unlikely occurance.

You are high! You must be on drugs. Welker is not Deion Branch! He is not even better than Caldwell, was #3 in Miami, was behind Marty Booker. He catches maybe 40 passes next year. I would bet under.

BTW, I actually like the guy. He will help us a lot this season. But please stop comparing him to the Super Bowl MVP!!!!

While Welker was the "#3" guy in Miami, he led their team in receptions and yardage last year because neither Booker nor Chambers were that good or could get open enough.

Welker could catch only 40, but he could also catch 70-80, depending on how things go. Welker had a ton of YAC as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats using Welker in the Red Zone between the 10 and 20. Something the Phins never did.

Welker reminds me a lot of Troy Brown, but also Wayne Chrebet. Wayne Chrebet was a terror against the Pats.

Glad to see some here get it. If you are predicting 75 catches close to 1000 yards and a Super Bowl MVP for Welker, you have to be on some serious drugs. I'd say about 40 catches for 500 yards and 0 or 1 TDs for Welker.

Aqua - GO away, welcher. No one asked for your clueless opinion. The Pats aren't the Phins. We actually have a QB who can throw the ball to the open receiver.

Also, no one is predicting that Welker will get a SB MVP (something that Branch didn't deserve but got because the pundits didn't want to give Brady a 3rd one). But, there is a very good chance that Welker will IMPROVE his numbers from last year. Which, having 40 catches for 500 yards WOULD be an improvement since his YPC would go from 10.3 to 12.5. I was actually thinking Welker would end up with 50-60 catches and between 600 and 750 yards with 3-5 TDs.

Your problem, Aqua, is that you under-value what Welker did on your team and how little help he got. You ignore that the guy have 4.6 YAC last year. YES, out of his 10.3 YPC, 4.6 was YAC or about 45% of the yards he got. Pretty amazing, all things considered.

Now Welker is Deion Branch at WR? He's already been dubbed a game breaker as a kick returner/punt returner. This guy seems like a lock HOFer at this point.

I just wonder why people don't think what he is (a very good slot WR who will move the chains on third down and a solid return man who isn't going to break them often but makes good decisions, gets the yards that are there, and doesn't fumble) is good enough? That is what Troy Brown has made a career of forever and Welker is a younger version of Troy.

And, when Brown was younger, he was a game changer. As was Wayne Chrebet. Welker is better than SOLID as a returner. What so many people (Remix, Aqua, Etc) forget is that even though Welker only got 22.2 YPR on kicks and 9.2 YPR on punts, that was with the garbage Miami special teams. And if you don't think Miami was garbage on special teams, all you have to do is look at the fact they lead the league in fair catches. You don't lead the league in fair catches if you have a team that can block and open things up for you.

I fully expect Welker to be in the 25-27 YPR range on kicks and in the 11-12 YPR range on punts. He may not take it to the house, but he will give the Pats plenty of short fields to work with. And, to me, having a short field when your down by 3 and less than 2 minutes to play is as much of a game changing item as him taking it to the house. Especially with this offense.

I think Welker will fit well in this offense and is someone we needed, but I'm not ready to declare him the outside threat Branch was. And I thought Branch was vastly overrating himself the year of the holdout so this isn't a case of my putting him on a pedestal.

I think Welker will fit well in this offense and is someone we needed, but I'm not ready to declare him the outside threat Branch was. And I thought Branch was vastly overrating himself the year of the holdout so this isn't a case of my putting him on a pedestal.

Branch was never really an outside threat. That's the myth created by the fact that he was our #1 WR for a season or two. That's why comparisons with Welker aren't that far off.

Given the fact that neither Welker nor Branch has ever had players of the caliber of Moss and Stallworth taking defender pressure off of them, I'll not be surprised if Welker has a career year here.

Now Welker is Deion Branch at WR? He's already been dubbed a game breaker as a kick returner/punt returner. This guy seems like a lock HOFer at this point.

I just wonder why people don't think what he is (a very good slot WR who will move the chains on third down and a solid return man who isn't going to break them often but makes good decisions, gets the yards that are there, and doesn't fumble) is good enough? That is what Troy Brown has made a career of forever and Welker is a younger version of Troy.

Thanks, you pretty much summed up my feelings for Welker without my having to actual put my thoughts together. :)

I actually think he's going to be an assassin for us next year, in the Dallas Clark, Wayne Chrebet, Rod Smith mold. You know, the guy that you are always screaming "Not that ******* guy again" when he catches an 8-yard slant on 3rd and 6.

I could give a **** what his final stats are, as long as he makes 2-3 of those catches a game he's money well spent.

Thanks, you pretty much summed up my feelings for Welker without my having to actual put my thoughts together. :)

I actually think he's going to be an assassin for us next year, in the Dallas Clark, Wayne Chrebet, Rod Smith mold. You know, the guy that you are always screaming "Not that ******* guy again" when he catches an 8-yard slant on 3rd and 6.

I could give a **** what his final stats are, as long as he makes 2-3 of those catches a game he's money well spent.

Hear, hear. I think the Welker trade was a very smart move, he's a terrific fit for this team. I look forward to him inheriting a lot of Troy Brown's job (minus the DB reps, please!) But the comparison to Branch doesn't make sense to me. They're both little guys with quick feet, but their games are different. Deion is faster and racks up longer YPC. Welker is tougher and a factor in the return game.

There are a lot of comments here along the lines of "BB didn't give up a 2nd-rounder just for a ________." But those ________s (slot receiver, "nifty little player," what have you) are incredibly valuable. Imagine this roster WITH Moss and WITH Stallworth but WITHOUT the reliable _______ to clean up underneath. He will make the whole offense more dangerous.

You are high! You must be on drugs. Welker is not Deion Branch! He is not even better than Caldwell, was #3 in Miami, was behind Marty Booker. He catches maybe 40 passes next year. I would bet under.

BTW, I actually like the guy. He will help us a lot this season. But please stop comparing him to the Super Bowl MVP!!!!
Agree 100%. Both run good routes, but Deion Branch was fragile and Welker is tough. Deion was faster, but went down immediately at contact (that was a good thing, see fragile above). Welker is slower, but can break tackles and is tougher to tackle.

Which one is better? Neither and both. The whole concept of the discussion is flawed because they are totally different receivers.

BTW, he was #3 and started almost no games to Booker's 16 starts, yet still caught more passes and had nearly as much yardage. Welker was the best overall receiver the Doofins had last year.

I actually hope Welker isn't a Branch clone; I'd like him to play the whole season.

Hear, hear. I think the Welker trade was a very smart move, he's a terrific fit for this team. I look forward to him inheriting a lot of Troy Brown's job (minus the DB reps, please!) But the comparison to Branch doesn't make sense to me. They're both little guys with quick feet, but their games are different. Deion is faster and racks up longer YPC. Welker is tougher and a factor in the return game.

There are a lot of comments here along the lines of "BB didn't give up a 2nd-rounder just for a ________." But those ________s (slot receiver, "nifty little player," what have you) are incredibly valuable. Imagine this roster WITH Moss and WITH Stallworth but WITHOUT the reliable _______ to clean up underneath. He will make the whole offense more dangerous.

I believe what you were trying to say here is, "BB didn't give up a 2nd-rounder just for a nifty little slot receiver, he gave up a 2nd for a nifty little WR/KR/PR/backup DB/backup K." :D

Last edited:
I fully expect Welker to be in the 25-27 YPR range on kicks and in the 11-12 YPR range on punts.

There were 2 players who accomplished that last year - Hester and Pacman Jones. No one did it in 2005, only Drummond in 2004 and Dante Hall in 2003.

You are predicting one of the best all time return seasons. Those are ridiculously high expectations for Welker.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I registered because I stumped upon this topic and felt the need to post. First off, let me say that I am a Dolphins fan, however I am objective and I have tremendous respect for the Patriots organization and their recent dynasty.

I am VERY knowledgeable when it comes to football, and I watch every snap the Dolphins play every year, as I have for years. Having seen Welker's professional career to date in it's entirety, I can tell you that I was absolutely baffled the Patriots traded what the did for him. It was the one flat-out stupid personnel move I have ever seen the Patriots make. Welker is not worth nearly a second-round pick. He is tough and he is a very likable guy (Dolphins fans were actually more upset with the trade than they should have been, for this very reason). However as a player, he is average at best. He's average as a returner and doesn't possess great speed, he's not a home run threat, so to speak. As a receiver, he racked up catches last year because he ran short underneath routes and that was all Joey Harrington was actually able to connect on. He will never be more than a slot receiver, and can easily be upgraded.

I understand that the majority of fans for every team are probably biased, and you want to look on the bright side and see the most optimistic outcome. However, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Patriots significantly overpaid for Welker, and that trade will prove to help the Dolphins more than it will New England I think. If any of you see Scott Pioli around town, tell him Dolphins fans say thank you for trying to improve our club and shorten the gap between the Dolphins and Patriots.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to any of you guys, I just wanted you to know the truth. The Patriots are still the team to beat in the division. The Thomas signing was fantastic (we gave practically identical money to Joey Porter, who is very overrated) and you being the Pats I am sure you'll make the Moss relationship work.

I may reply again if anyone replies to me. Good luck next season.

There were 2 players who accomplished that last year - Hester and Pacman Jones. No one did it in 2005, only Drummond in 2004 and Dante Hall in 2003.

You are predicting one of the best all time return seasons. Those are ridiculously high expectations for Welker.

No, actually, I'm not. 25-27 YPR on kicks is below what Hobbs did last year. Hobbs averaged 36 YPR. Maroney, before his injury, was at 28 YPR. So I am picking below both of them with my 25-27 YPR.

As for the Punt returns, I picked 11 because I thought, for some reason, that Faulk was up at 11.8 and not at 10.6. So I will amend it to be 10-12 YPR.

Sorry that I put more faith in the Pats blocking on punt returns and kick returns than you do. I just feel that Welker is a better punt returner and kick returner than Faulk. Faulk's numbers were 10.6 YPR on punts and 22.2 on Kicks. So, predicting 11-13 and 25-27 really isn't one of the best all time return seasons.

hi im new to this forum :)...i am pats fan and have been for 1 year, due to me only watching the sport for that long...my auntie lives in Boston and sends me alot of New England goody's and i love Brady and the way the team operates...sad news about Marquise :(...sorry to go off topic...but heres my say on topic...Welker ripped us apart in both games, and is also a very decent reciever...he is no deion branch though...maybe if Moss hadn't joined he might of put up that type of number...but theres too many quality recievers now for him to have 45+ plus receptions...my prediction is 40 rec, 450 yards 2 td's..1 kr touchdown also ;)...but will help alot when the big boys are failing...anyway nice to be here and will love to chat to real pat fans

thanks,

Welsh pat

Hi guys. I registered because I stumped upon this topic and felt the need to post. First off, let me say that I am a Dolphins fan, however I am objective and I have tremendous respect for the Patriots organization and their recent dynasty.

I am VERY knowledgeable when it comes to football, and I watch every snap the Dolphins play every year, as I have for years. Having seen Welker's professional career to date in it's entirety, I can tell you that I was absolutely baffled the Patriots traded what the did for him. It was the one flat-out stupid personnel move I have ever seen the Patriots make. Welker is not worth nearly a second-round pick. He is tough and he is a very likable guy (Dolphins fans were actually more upset with the trade than they should have been, for this very reason). However as a player, he is average at best. He's average as a returner and doesn't possess great speed, he's not a home run threat, so to speak. As a receiver, he racked up catches last year because he ran short underneath routes and that was all Joey Harrington was actually able to connect on. He will never be more than a slot receiver, and can easily be upgraded.

I understand that the majority of fans for every team are probably biased, and you want to look on the bright side and see the most optimistic outcome. However, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Patriots significantly overpaid for Welker, and that trade will prove to help the Dolphins more than it will New England I think. If any of you see Scott Pioli around town, tell him Dolphins fans say thank you for trying to improve our club and shorten the gap between the Dolphins and Patriots.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to any of you guys, I just wanted you to know the truth. The Patriots are still the team to beat in the division. The Thomas signing was fantastic (we gave practically identical money to Joey Porter, who is very overrated) and you being the Pats I am sure you'll make the Moss relationship work.

I may reply again if anyone replies to me. Good luck next season.

One, I will take the word of Rodney Harrison over some unknown board poster like yourself.

Two, Welker was the Dolphins leading receiver last year and got 45% of his yards AFTER THE CATCH. Meaning that he made things happen after he caught the ball and turned 5 and 6 yards routes into 10+ yard routes.

Three, You sit there and call Welker average when it comes to kick returns and punt returns and receiving, yet you clearly ignore so many important facts that its almost worthless to talk to you about it. In fact, it honestly makes me doubt your claim about knowing football. But, lets just review.

Miami led the league in fair catches with 29. That means that 41% of the punts that were kicked to Miami were caught and not advanced. Why weren't they advanced? Because the coverage by the Miami punt return team was lousy and the people were down on top of Welker before he could have a chance to get going.

Miami's kick return blocking was some of the WORST I've ever seen in 25 years of watching football. They made some of the Pats lean years look GOOD.

You clearly have never seen Wayne Chrebet or Troy Brown in their haydays. They were terrors to other teams. And that is what Welker will be on the Pats. A terror underneath to opposing teams.

One, I will take the word of Rodney Harrison over some unknown board poster like yourself.

Two, Welker was the Dolphins leading receiver last year and got 45% of his yards AFTER THE CATCH. Meaning that he made things happen after he caught the ball and turned 5 and 6 yards routes into 10+ yard routes.

Three, You sit there and call Welker average when it comes to kick returns and punt returns and receiving, yet you clearly ignore so many important facts that its almost worthless to talk to you about it. In fact, it honestly makes me doubt your claim about knowing football. But, lets just review.

Miami led the league in fair catches with 29. That means that 41% of the punts that were kicked to Miami were caught and not advanced. Why weren't they advanced? Because the coverage by the Miami punt return team was lousy and the people were down on top of Welker before he could have a chance to get going.

Miami's kick return blocking was some of the WORST I've ever seen in 25 years of watching football. They made some of the Pats lean years look GOOD.

You clearly have never seen Wayne Chrebet or Troy Brown in their haydays. They were terrors to other teams. And that is what Welker will be on the Pats. A terror underneath to opposing teams.

Rodney Harrison wouldn't say anything bad about the trade. Everyone is always optimistic when it comes to thinks like that. You can't take the word of a current player because there's only ONE stance he will take, and it'll be full of cliches.

I know what Welker is, more than any Pats fan here because I've seen him a lot more. I believe I actually have an admin who is a Pats fan here (though that could be another Pats forum) and he knows I know my stuff, especially when it comes to the Dolphins. (EDIT: It is this forum, his name is pats1.)

I'm sorry it bothers you, but Welker is average at best, and a second-round pick alone is worth more than something average. He may help your team, but I think that second would have helped you more, and it certainly will help Miami more. Welker is very replaceable, and some of you guys are just giving him too much credit because you can't help but be optimistic.

Last edited:

Way to treat a new poster and a rational fan of an opposing team like crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes