PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Walker -- worth a second round pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think of it this way. We got Gaffney for nothing and $500K a year. Why would we give up a #2 pick (a crapshoot but a GREAT value for 4 years if we hit it) and more money for a more versatile player but not even a better WR ?

Welker isn't Steve Smith by any means, but he is a better WR than you give him credit for.

anyone that says yes is drunk. there is a reason he is a 3rd reciever on a crappy receiving corps already

Yeah, and that reason is a lousy organization.

Think of it this way. We got Gaffney for nothing and $500K a year. Why would we give up a #2 pick (a crapshoot but a GREAT value for 4 years if we hit it) and more money for a more versatile player but not even a better WR ?

Maybe because next season we want to be poised to go 14-2 and retake home field into the playoffs. Caldwell and Gaffney were OK as their season's progressed, but neither is a player I would not want too potentially improve on. Last season's #2 pick was of virtually no help last season, and while one would hope to see that change in 2007 there is no guarantee. Caldwell managed to complete a relatively injury free season for the first time in his career. Maybe he's turned a corner or maybe he was just taking a break so to speak. Using your featured RB and a starting CB as your ST returners is a risky proposition. In Maroney's case, as in Faulk's with PR, they are liable to get dinged up or gassed heading into a critical series.

Cripes, in his first season with Miami he even managed to kick a 29 yard FG and an extra point. That's versatility. Match him up with a Brady like QB and this kid could be a little drive extending machine.

For a second round pick? Definitely pass. Big Time. Off the top of my head, here are players we drafted in the second that are much better-
Chad Jackson
Deion Branch
Todd Light
T Rucchi
Kevin Faulk
Gerin Veris
Andre Tippett'
Vincent Brown
Chris Slade
Teddy Johnson
Lawyer Milloy
Eugene Wilson
And that's just a list for the last 20-5 years. You don't give up a second for someone like Welker. He plays at a high level, to the top of his limited talent...

Last edited:
I'd rather just see them give Bam more playing time.

No thanks, you can get kevin curtis or bobby engram. if anything i'd go after dj hackett if i have to give up a 2nd round pick

None. Faulk was 6th in the league in PR average and Jackson was very good in his few attempts.

Hey I love draft picks. Draft is my favorite time of the year. If Wes Walker was a UFA, I would have no hesitation about wanting him. But giving up a draft pick sure is steep price to pay.

I take Welker for a second in a heartbeat!

No way. Welker has nowhere near second round value.

And if they think for a second that he does, Miami will tender him higher.

yeah Definitely.

Well he is white and fast right?

and his name is kinda cool

WELKERRRRR

yeah he's fast so yes.

Because he is fast of course.

67 catches at over 10ypc is not to be sniffed at.

Why would his receiving production not be taken into account?
Wow, that's impressive. That is approaching Reche Caldwell in production!

Are you guys out of your minds?

Do you know how good a player you can get in the second round?

It's not a total crapshoot, as someone said. You are not picking totally by chance. The pats have done well with the draft. The chances are more likely to get us a good player than a bad one in the first day.

Last edited:
Bingo won't be around forever, and it's entirely possible Caldwell and Gaffney won't want to sign the kind of deals we're likely to offer here after rehabbing their reputations to some degree. Might be lucky to get one locked in affordable for the forseeable future.
We have Gafney and Caldwell signed through 2007. You really think that we couldn't sign one of them for what Welker would want if he was traded for a second round pick? I bet we could have BOTH caldwell and Gafney for what Welker would cost.
And Jackson could just as easily end up being fragile or continuing to struggle at this level as he could be expected to blossom.
Question: Would you trade Chad Jackson straight up for Wes Welker?

he's worth our (late) 2, plus another pick... he is an impact player, and at the least, better WR depth than we could draft there

Wow, that's impressive. That is approaching Reche Caldwell in production!

Are you guys out of your minds?

Do you know how good a player you can get in the second round?

It's not a total crapshoot, as someone said. You are not picking totally by chance. The pats have done well with the draft. The chances are more likely to get us a good player than a bad one in the first day.

Well, Reche did have arguably the best QB in the game throwing him the ball, Welker has Culpepper and a Lions reject.

Yes, I think people are well aware that you can get some excellent players in the 2nd round - you can also get a bust - even the ones that pan out, take 2-3 years to do it, sometimes.

Still, each to their own.

NM

In my opinion, he is good.

I wouldn't trade a second round pick for him, but I do like his hussle... no doubt about that.

I say yes. This would be my ideal scenario. Welker is a top-notch playmaker wherever he is and, much as I hate to say it, would definitely be an upgrade over Troy at #3. That would leave Gaffney and Caldwell to fight it out and let Caldwell develop. Wouldn't have to draft a WR until the 2nd day, and could concentrate on the secondary the 1st. Would have considered Stokely or Flurrey as well, but they are still signed and Stokely had multiple injuries last year.Getting a veteran slot receiver and letting our current guys develop is a much better option than drafting a supposed #1. It's unlikely a true #1 will fall to us. Bowe is the most likely and he is more a #2-Givens type.

yes i would trade a 2nd round pick for him... An ARENA LEAGUE 2nd round pick!
hahahha

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Wes Welker is just another Tim Dwight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back