PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Walker -- worth a second round pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
If he gets a second round pick tender as a RFA, would he be worth it? If BB gets a WR in FA, I am guessing odds are it will be a PR. A second round pick is a high price to pay, but I might be willing to pay it.

Are there any other good PR in FA, especially any UFA?

I would absolutely consider a 2nd rounder for Wes Welker.

PR and maybe LB is where I'm looking for BB to have activity in FA. If you look at the roster, the vast majority of our players are drafted. If BB gets a Wes Walker and Carlos Polk I would be estatic.

No thanks.

67 catches at over 10ypc is not to be sniffed at.

Why would his receiving production not be taken into account?

Especially considering who has been throwing him the ball last year.

I'd spend a 2nd rounder for him.

NM

Still thinking...leaning towards "yes", especially in a year when the Pats have approximately 87 picks.

I might... if our LB situation wasn't as bad as it is.

I'd rather save the 2nd for someone like David Harris or Meriwhether.

Interesting, but I don't think it will happen! I think BB spoke well of him during one of his "coffee with the coach" bits on WEEI earlier this year!

I might... if our LB situation wasn't as bad as it is.

I'd rather save the 2nd for someone like David Harris or Meriwhether.

I don't know, with our system it seems that the pats are less likly to draft LB's and would rather sign vets that they know can pick up the system and pick it up quick. (like seau, vrable, colvin) I think they will look to FA for LB's and other needs for the draft.

I don't know, with our system it seems that the pats are less likly to draft LB's and would rather sign vets that they know can pick up the system and pick it up quick. (like seau, vrable, colvin) I think they will look to FA for LB's and other needs for the draft.

True, but the FA crop this year is lacking at LB. I think it might just be the time to invest in some young talent.

But who knows. You could be right. I love Chad Jackson though so I'm putting my money on WR not being a huge need.

Last edited:
A 2nd-round pick for a demonstrated young stick of dynamite?
I can't even see why that would be a question.

Draft picks ... all should know ... are ALL crapshoots.
Welker has shown his worth in the pros.
I'd rather have Welker than a FIRST-rounder.

When you use a draft pick ...
one only HOPES to find a Wes Welker !

A 2nd-round pick for a demonstrated young stick of dynamite?
I can't even see why that would be a question.

Draft picks ... all should know ... are ALL crapshoots.
Welker has shown his worth in the pros.
I'd rather have Welker than a FIRST-rounder.

When you use a draft pick ...
one only HOPES to find a Wes Welker !

Sign me up.

Welker is also a hard nosed, self motivated, versatile player who will be a dynamo on ST and could become a backbreaking possession WR here. Adding him to the return game would allow us to spell guys like Maroney, Faulk and Hobbs and force opponents to pick their poison. They have to tender him at at least the mid level since he was an UDFA they picked up when his first team waived him. Hopefully they won't have the space to tender him at the top of the scale and they do need the draft picks as Saban followed his predecessor in trading away his second to undertake the Culpepper experiment.

Bingo won't be around forever, and it's entirely possible Caldwell and Gaffney won't want to sign the kind of deals we're likely to offer here after rehabbing their reputations to some degree. Might be lucky to get one locked in affordable for the forseeable future. And Jackson could just as easily end up being fragile or continuing to struggle at this level as he could be expected to blossom. And remember, he's just a 4 year deal with one year already essentially wasted.

I could easily see Wes Welker being a Troy Brown type player, except with even more speed and not quite the same hands. Great kick/punt returner (meaning we could save Hobbs and Maroney from playing special teams) and he is an explosive #3 wideout. The problem is though, with Chad hopefully stepping it up next year and the top 2 receivers positions most likely already locked up, do they really want to spend a 2nd round pick on a return man and 4th receiver? Probably not, but I think in a vacuum, he is worth a #2.

anyone that says yes is drunk. there is a reason he is a 3rd reciever on a crappy receiving corps already

Think of it this way. We got Gaffney for nothing and $500K a year. Why would we give up a #2 pick (a crapshoot but a GREAT value for 4 years if we hit it) and more money for a more versatile player but not even a better WR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes