PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Walker draft status

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerofaye

Rookie
Reaction score
Hello fellow Pats fans:

I tried to do some research on how Wes Walker get in the NFL. It said that he is a 3rd year player. I tried the 2003 and 2004 NFL Draft on cnnsi, but couldn't find any info on Walker.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Kerofaye

He went undrafted and signed with the Chargers. He made the team out of camp, but was cut after the first week and the Dolphins picked him up.

He went undrafted and signed with the Chargers. He made the team out of camp, but was cut after the first week and the Dolphins picked him up.

Thank you.

Is it on the 2004 Draft ?

Thank you.

Is it on the 2004 Draft ?

Yes.

Welker had an incredible career at Texas Tech, putting up huge numbers in their wide-open, high-octane offense. He left the school the all-time leader in receptions at Texas Tech (the other WR from Texas Tech that year, Carlos Francis, was drafted by the Raiders in the 4th round). Welker had 259 receptions for 3019 yards and 21 touchdowns, 79 rushes for 456 yards and 2 touchdowns and scored 8 touchdowns on punt returns (still tied for the NCAA record).

He fell pre-draft because of his size (5-9, 185#) and registering poor time pre-draft (4.67 in the 40). He signed with the Chargers and made the team based on his ST play, but was released after the first week. The Dolphins picked him up a week later and he established himself with them first as a ST'er, then last year as a slot WR (he led the Dolphins in receptions).

Yes.

Welker had an incredible career at Texas Tech, putting up huge numbers in their wide-open, high-octane offense. He left the school the all-time leader in receptions at Texas Tech (the other WR from Texas Tech that year, Carlos Francis, was drafted by the Raiders in the 4th round). Welker had 259 receptions for 3019 yards and 21 touchdowns, 79 rushes for 456 yards and 2 touchdowns and scored 8 touchdowns on punt returns (still tied for the NCAA record).

He fell pre-draft because of his size (5-9, 185#) and registering poor time pre-draft (4.67 in the 40). He signed with the Chargers and made the team based on his ST play, but was released after the first week. The Dolphins picked him up a week later and he established himself with them first as a ST'er, then last year as a slot WR (he led the Dolphins in receptions).

Thank you.

I will go back to cnnsi 2004 Draft to find his then scouting report.

I don't know if you will find a profile on him, he wasn't a highly-rated player in the draft.

BTW, San Diego cut him to pick up S Clinton Hart off waivers. I wonder if they regret that.

Hello fellow Pats fans:

I tried to do some research on how Wes Walker get in the NFL. It said that he is a 3rd year player. I tried the 2003 and 2004 NFL Draft on cnnsi, but couldn't find any info on Walker.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Kerofaye
my chargers signed him in april 04 as an UDFA

he looked great in pre season but marty was ******ed and cut him to sign to our practice squad (technically both marty and AJ thought they could sneak him onto the roster in 04, from the PS)

well miami stole him off our practice squad , which was a brilliant move by them.

in the end san diego put welker on the practice squad and lost him all because of tim dwight, i know...pretty ******ed.

Yes.

Welker also holds an NFL record. Only player ever to: Kick a FG, Kick a PAT, Kick-off, Make a tackle, Return a punt, and return a kick...all in the same game.

my chargers signed him in april 04 as an UDFA

he looked great in pre season but marty was ******ed and cut him to sign to our practice squad (technically both marty and AJ thought they could sneak him onto the roster in 04, from the PS)

well miami stole him off our practice squad , which was a brilliant move by them.

in the end san diego put welker on the practice squad and lost him all because of tim dwight, i know...pretty ******ed.

Technically he never got to your practice squad becasue he never got through waivers.

I don't know if you will find a profile on him, he wasn't a highly-rated player in the draft.

BTW, San Diego cut him to pick up S Clinton Hart off waivers. I wonder if they regret that.
hart's a pretty good ballhawking safety but he sucks at run support

i think we much rather regret losing welker over dwight who we lost later anyway.

Technically he never got to your practice squad becasue he never got through waivers.
oh ****, i thought he got onto the ps and then got signed off it, ok....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes