PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes re Gronk and hernandez...

Status
Not open for further replies.
With just over a week to go before the deadline for the Pats to work out a long term deal with Wes Welker, Greg Bedard weighs in on the situation:

Lofa Tatupu back in game with Falcons - Sports - The Boston Globe

Bedard thinks the two sides are about $6M apart in guaranteed money, which is essentially the difference in the $16M offer the Pats made last year and the $21M that Welker would get if he played this year and next under the franchise tag. Bedard also discusses the possible issue of Aaron Hernandez wanting to be viewed as a WR instead of a TE for the purposes of his next contract and a possible franchise tag.

Given it's the slow period this should have warranted a new thread.

Even though it's a little scary and slightly nauseating series of topics, but as usual Bedard is the man when it comes to laying it out. Even when he's supposedly on vacation...

Would suck to be without two elite Dunn clients in a couple of years...especially when one was potentially alienated so needlessly.

Last edited:
Given it's the slow period this should have warranted a new thread.

Wondered when you'd get around to this. I'm a thread minimalist, and I used this thread because Bedard addressed both the Welker and Hernandez long term situations in his article, but I'm happy to start a new thread or two if you prefer, or feel free to do so if you want to.

Even though it's a little scary and slightly nauseating series of topics, but as usual Bedard is the man when it comes to laying it out. Even when he's supposedly on vacation...

Would suck to be without two elite Dunn clients in a couple of years...especially when one was potentially alienated so needlessly.

The $6M difference suggests (1) that there hasn't been must movement from the Pats' offer of last year, and (2) that the Pats want Welker to take a hometown discount. Both a little concerning. I'm not sure $21M guaranteed will happen, but it would be nice if the two sides could split the difference.

Aside from the idea of losing Welker after 2012, it would seem to be poor strategy to piss off Dunn. I'm sure he's going to try to get the best deal for each client individually, but setting a precedent of being miserly with a player who has over-produced certainly won't help things. The potential prospect of having neither Welker nor Hernandez after 2013 is very unsettling, indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes