PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Freagin' Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an Edelman supporter but does anyone honestly believe he can produce at the level of Welker? I cringe at the thought of seeing the "old man" Welker on another team next year making fools of the Pats' secondary and front office. The only thing receding on Welker is his hairline.

Last edited:
And how do you think the Patriots would have paid Welker if he agreed to a contract in 2011, based on his performance in 2010, relative to 2009?

It's the Patriots. They'd have tried to pay 2 cents on the dollar, like always. However, had they been proactive, they could probably have gotten a deal commensurate with an early extension. Instead, we're stuck here listening to inanities like "He's just a slot receiver, so he's not worth the money", as people blindly chug the team Koolaid by the barrel and talk if WWW hasn't been the #1 WR in terms of catches over the past 5 years.

Yeah but there's no assurance with a franchise tag, yet another reason why Welker wants a deal and deserves a deal. He's taken this franchise to great heights, he should be compensated for this.
I understand why Welker wants a longer term deal that is guaranteed. I also understand why the Pats aren't overjoyed to offer him one.

I understand why Welker wants a longer term deal that is guaranteed. I also understand why the Pats aren't overjoyed to offer him one.

Yeah, I see those options as well but thats what kills me about the Patriots. How the hell did you see so much upside for dinks like Ocho and Albert Fatsworth, but none for a seasoned player that has been the MOST consistent player on your roster?

I don't get it. I really don't.

The Pats would be wise not to be penny wise but pound foolish. It makes zero sense to pay his replacement 3/4 his salary for 1/4 the productivity. Assuming Welker isn't asking for a cap crushing contract, and there is no credible indication that he is, the Pats decision to let him walk will only make sense to the kool aid brigade.

Yeah, I see those options as well but thats what kills me about the Patriots. How the hell did you see so much upside for dinks like Ocho and Albert Fatsworth, but none for a seasoned player that has been the MOST consistent player on your roster?

Many factors are involved in the decision making processes that ultimately extend to offers made to players. Only the Pats brass know what those are.

The Pats would be wise not to be penny wise but pound foolish. It makes zero sense to pay his replacement 3/4 his salary for 1/4 the productivity. Assuming Welker isn't asking for a cap crushing contract, and there is no credible indication that he is, the Pats decision to let him walk will only make sense to the kool aid brigade.
I think it is safe to assume that something is amiss in these contract talks to not allow for a deal to have already been consummated. We can only speculate as to what those are.

I swear, If I see Welker getting Manning a ring with the Broncos next season I'm becoming a soccer fan.

Pay Wes or we riot!

The New England Patriots will still be paying the price for the contract to Chad "Ochostinko" Johnson in league year 2013 as well as the contract for Jonathan Fanene. Between the two former Bengals players, the New England Patriots will incur $4 million of salary cap dead space on the books.

New England Patriots Salary Cap 2013

That's $4 million less the New England Patriots can afford to pay an unrestricted free agent in 2013 with Wes Welker as the number one unrestricted free agent priority.

The New England Patriots will still be paying the price for the contract to Chad "Ochostinko" Johnson in league year 2013 as well as the contract for Jonathan Fanene. Between the two former Bengals players, the New England Patriots will incur $4 million of salary cap dead space on the books.

New England Patriots Salary Cap 2013

That's $4 million less the New England Patriots can afford to pay an unrestricted free agent in 2013 with Wes Welker as the number one unrestricted free agent priority.

One thing worth noting is that the Patriots stated their intention to go after Fanene's signing bonus. I don't know if anything will come of that, but it might well reduce their dead money for next year.

One thing worth noting is that the Patriots stated their intention to go after Fanene's signing bonus. I don't know if anything will come of that, but it might well reduce their dead money for next year.
I've not seen any viable news story whatsoever that the New England Patriots organization have filed a lawsuit against Jonathan Fanene.

They had 25 days to file a grievance and I never heard any word of one being filed or heard. I don't think they had a leg to stand on and all that disclosure talk was just Jonathan engaging in a little covering our ass chatter. This is an outfit that would rather be thought anything other than foolish.

Not to mention the New England Patriots traded the 2013 fifth round and 2013 sixth round draft picks for Chad "Ochostinko" Johnson and Albert "fat man" Haynesworth.

Welker is so dam tough...really wish they would keep him but it won't happen

Just out of curiosity is he leading the league in receptions and yardage? Not sure where to find a top 10 or 5 list.

Last edited:
I didn't check if this was brought up in the thread already, but how far up this list do you think Welker will climb?

NFL Career Receptions Leaders - Pro-Football-Reference.com

If Wes could somehow finish #8-12 all time in receptions, with being a 6x All Pro (he's already 4) I think he could have a case for the HOF, especially being different from all the other wideouts in the hall.

They had 25 days to file a grievance and I never heard any word of one being filed or heard. I don't think they had a leg to stand on and all that disclosure talk was just Jonathan engaging in a little covering our ass chatter. This is an outfit that would rather be thought anything other than foolish.

Just because we haven't heard about it doesn't mean it didn't happen (of course, it doesn't mean it did, either ;) ). All I'm saying is that they had at least left open the possibility.

Welker is so dam tough...really wish they would keep him but it won't happen
Why is that?

Would the New England Patriots organization rather re-sign the following unrestricted free agents instead:

Ron Brace
Trevor Scott
Kyle Arrington
Patrick Chung

Why is that?

Would the New England Patriots organization rather re-sign the following unrestricted free agents instead:

Ron Brace
Trevor Scott
Kyle Arrington
Patrick Chung

It has nothing to do with resigning those players. it has everything to do with paying a 30 something WR top money over a 3-4 year period when he isn't getting any younger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back