PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Freagin' Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wes Welker

Just imagine if Brady goes down?

All things considered, at this point at the end of his career, I would much rather lose Brady than Welker. Welker could make Mallet look serviceable enough. But apparently, without Welker Brady can't even move the chains.

All things considered, at this point at the end of his career, I would much rather lose Brady than Welker. Welker could make Mallet look serviceable enough. But apparently, without Welker Brady can't even move the chains.

Someone please teach me the ignore feature. This dumbass shiats up the game threads everyweek.

Someone please teach me the ignore feature. This dumbass shiats up the game threads everyweek.

You should ask the mods. They are clearly ignoring him already.

You're kidding right?

The Pats don't have an issue paying Welker oodles of money ..... see franchise tag.

The problem is they are hesitant to enter into a long term deal with Wes because, while he may be playing great right now and be worth every penny, chances are he won't be worthy 2/3/4 years down the road.

It's not about current value but future value.

I am more than a little tired of hearing about this nonsense. You always:

Pay for past performance
Risk a loss of "future value"

That's true of all players, in all sports. Welker has shown his talent, remarkable durability and his worth to the team. Does he get rewarded for it? No, because the team is too busy signing the Fanenes and Chad Johnsons of the world. Dropping significant cash to them was ok. Dropping it on the best slot WR the game's ever seen is a problem, though.

Penny wise, pound foolish

Pay for past performance

That's true of all players, in all sports. Welker has shown his talent, remarkable durability and his worth to the team. Does he get rewarded for it? No, because the team is too busy signing the Fanenes and Chad Johnsons of the world. Dropping significant cash to them was ok. Dropping it on the best slot WR the game's ever seen is a problem, though.

To be fair, though, they didn't pay out $8M/yr to any of Fanene, Johnson, etc.

In any case, the big money for GRONK and Hernandez doesn't kick in for a couple of years now, so I hope that the Pats can at least give Welker a two or three year deal in the offseason.

Pay for past performance

Ummmm, Welker is being rewarded to the tune of $8MM.

Last edited:
Welker is just absolutely amazing.

After getting completely obliterated he comes back a few plays later.

Sure, he's a slot receiver but his TD yesterday also showed his ability to make difficult deep catches as well.

Four 100 yards games in the six that he's played. The other two, week 1 against Tennessee and week 2 vs. Arizona (when he had 95 yards).

In any case, the big money for GRONK and Hernandez doesn't kick in for a couple of years now, so I hope that the Pats can at least give Welker a two or three year deal in the offseason.

Johnson got $6 million gifted to him. Fanene got 3 years, $12 million. Neither player had done anything in the system. Welker's been earning his coin since day one, and has been hugely underpaid for most of his time as a Patriot.

And, if Johnson and Fanene don't strike a chord for you, perhaps a mention of Adalius Thomas will. :eek:

The Pats already have a very large % of their total cap $ spent on offense courtesy of Brady, Gronk and AHern. Add WW's $8MM this year and the total is very out of whack in favour of the offense.

It might be time to start spending some coin on the defense. Maybe grab a top corner or safety so that our 5 year long secondary problem can be mitigated some.

Johnson got $6 million gifted to him. Fanene got 3 years, $12 million. Neither player had done anything in the system. Welker's been earning his coin since day one, and has been hugely underpaid for most of his time as a Patriot.

And, if Johnson and Fanene don't strike a chord for you, perhaps a mention of Adalius Thomas will. :eek:

I couldn't have said this better.

The guy has earned his worth. He's been serverly underpaid since he's gotten here and has never made an issue of it. He understands his age and what that means as a wide receiver in this league, he deserves to be overpaid for all the years he was underpaid.

I know this may seem evil but if they let Welker go, I can't wait for them to feel the difference.

Last edited:
The Pats already have a very large % of their total cap $ spent on offense courtesy of Brady, Gronk and AHern. Add WW's $8MM this year and the total is very out of whack in favour of the offense.

GRONK and Hernandez combined account for less than $6M this year. About $7M next year, and $10M the year after that.

I don't think more than a small handful of people here would have argued, back in 2007, that Welker should have been paid more than Thomas (even though it's obvious, in retrospect, that he should have been).

GRONK and Hernandez combined account for less than $6M this year. About $7M next year, and $10M the year after that.
It's the future years (of Brady, Gronk, AHern) that, when combined with any long term deal for Welker, will be of concern here.

I don't think more than a small handful of people here would have argued, back in 2007, that Welker should have been paid more than Thomas (even though it's obvious, in retrospect, that he should have been).

I don't see what that has to do with the fact that the team was willing to pay big coin for Thomas but, beyond the franchise tag, is refusing to do that for it's best non-Brady offensive player.

It's the future years (of Brady, Gronk, AHern) that, when combined with any long term deal for Welker, will be of concern here.

They could have given Welker a proper deal after 2010. They could have given him a proper deal after 2011. Long term had nothing to do with it, and a 3 year deal wouldn't have brought about cap issues.

It's embarrassing to see just how many people bow to the company line about all the wrong things around here.

Last edited:
They could have given Welker a proper deal after 2010. They could have given him a proper deal after 2011. Long term had nothing to do with it, and a 3 year deal wouldn't have brought about cap issues.

It's embarrassing to see just how many people bow to the company line about all the wrong things around here.
Welker is making $8MM to play football this year. There is nothing improper about that wage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes