Welcome to PatsFans.com

wes clark for VP?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by otis p. driftwood, Jun 22, 2008.

1. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't like Clark. I don't think he offeres the experience--especially executive experience Obama needs to balance his own lack of experience, plus Clark was a bit of a loose nut in the Army, actually being "fired"...I think the Republicans would have a good time with that selection.

I still think Obama goes Richardson--it's a complete no brainer to me--cabinet experience, UN experience, executive experience...what do you think?

Edit: taken from a Newsmax spam mail. The only reason I mention it is because they cite reports in an actual paper.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Clark was the commander of Nato and took conrol of the Balkin situation and seemed to do a fine job. I don't remember him being fired from anything,but i'm not going to say that its not beyond the relm of possibility. Anyways I always thought he was an intelligent guy when i google him to see what job he was fired from and why i ran across this, not to shabby.

Wesley Kanne Clark (born December 23, 1944) is a retired General of the United States Army. Clark was valedictorian of his class at West Point, was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship to the University of Oxford where he obtained a degree in PPE (Philosophy, Politics & Economics), and later graduated from the Command and General Staff College with a master's degree in military science. He spent 34 years in the Army and the Department of Defense, receiving many military decorations, several honorary knighthoods, and a Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Clark commanded Operation Allied Force in the Kosovo War during his term as the Supreme Allied Commander Europe of NATO from 1997 to 2000. Some of Clark's command decisions during the conflict, such as his statements at press briefings and his actions at Priština International Airport, were heavily criticized. At times, he had a difficult relationship with Secretary of Defense William Cohen and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Hugh Shelton, which led to rumors Clark was forced into retirement, though both he and the Department of Defense said his retirement was merely standard personnel movement.

Birthplace, ChicagoIllinois
    Allegiance United States of America
    Service/branch United States Army
    Years of service 1966–2000
    Rank General
    Commands held Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe,
    United States European Command,
    United States Southern Command
    Battles/wars Vietnam War
    Kosovo War
    Awards Defense Distinguished Service Medal (5)
    Army Distinguished Service Medal (2)
    Silver Star
    Legion of Merit (4)
    Bronze Star (2)
    Purple Heart
    French Ordre national du Mérite
    German Merit Cross of the Federal Republic (Order of Merit)

I think he has some qualifications,but thats just me. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -21

Along with some very good qualifications, comes a lot of political baggage and name association with the Clintons.. this alone takes himself out of the race.
  4. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I wasn't advocting Clark for VP its just his resume' is outstanding. Thats one achievment oriented individual. Plus Paul said he had no qualifications. :confused:
    Right now out of the three names i've seen i'd go with Sam Nunn I like Biden but he can talk his way into a lot of embaressing corners.
    I could see Biden as secratary of Defense,but that could be said for Nunn also.

As far as Richardson goes hes a very solid candidate but I think he lacks the Presance,the gravitas to be Vp material. I've seen him interviewed several times and while a very intelligent indiviual i've seen him RATTLED and thats one thing i don't want to see.
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -21

Do you think Biden would give up his prestigious place in congress for a 4 or 8 year job?? I am not sure about this.

Did not intimate that you were advocating Clark, just pointing out how I see it.
  6. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I'm saying personally i think he would make a good Sec of Def. But i think if offered the job he probably would take it.
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 4 / -4

I think Clark is a good choice. He brings military experience to the ticket and his work in the Balkans was highly regarded. In addition, he's a Clinton person so his choice would assuage many Clinton people who are upset by her loss. But, he was born in Chicago, so that might not really enhance the Obama ticket.

Obama may need to have someone with some military credentials on his ticket in the event that Bush attacks Iran, so perhaps a better choice would be Jim Webb. I think the problem with Richardson will be that he had a scandal while Sec'y of Energy, and a black-Latino ticket might play into the racial fears of white people. I think Obama either chooses a military person or Hillary Clinton.
  8. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Not that I expect you to agree with me at all...but secdef :eek:.

I don't know. A woman we did a lot of work for adored Bill Clinton. She jumped on his bandwagon very early (here in NH), volunteering and so forth. She's a very prim, proper socially conscious person, everything just perfect in her house and garden and so forth. Used to drive me crazy while I was working for her, as she believed it was her responsibility to "save" me, which she approached with missionary zeal.

She actually had one of those folding tables you buy for $60 or so at Staples...she'd had it for years, and loaned it to the Clinton campaign, when they returned it she had a large brass name-plate made which read "The William J. Clinton Table" and had the dates on it. Now, in this proper (rich) lady's victorian house there's a folding card table featured prominently in the living room.

Anyway she also jumped on the Clark train, and so to tweak her I looked him up and I don't remember what I found but I do remember what I found wasn't good. If I get time later I'll go back over it.

I am kind of shocked though--neither of you bothered to comment on Richardson.
  9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I forgot about Webb,i would very much like to see that. He would be an excellent choice.
  10. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Webb is a cowardly POS and a deviant of the highest order. I wouldn't cross the street to tinkle in his mouth if his teeth were on fire. I know a lot of people are dazzled by him--which fascinates me, since I don't think these same people would like him had he not flipped and become a Democrat.

And let the record show: I've been suggesting Richardson as the guy who makes the most sense all along.

Meanwhile, today we see the first mention that a "black-Latino" ticket might be bad...something none of us 'racist righties' ever mentioned...who was it that mentioned it again?

:cool:
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

Obama has the tougher job in finding a fit at VP than McLame does. Obama has more holes than a golf course, and no matter who he picks, he won't be able to fill them all. Obama is green, inexperienced, has no military anything, ZERO executive experience, is considered extremely liberal, is black (a factor people whether we like it or not), and has some disgruntled Hillary supporters to pacify. McLame has a ton of holes too, just not as many as Obama. Whoever Obama picks, there will still be questions about the ticket. For example, picking Clark satisfies having a white male, and a military guy, but it still leaves the women pissed, a ticket with ZERO executive experience, and a very short political resume. If he picks Webb, it's similar, with less foreign policy, but more of a political resume. I still think Bill Richardson makes the most sense.
  12. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Same here--of course, Patters--who's not racist or anything--is the first person to draw attention to the "black/latino" aspect of that ticket.

I'd never given it a thought, honestly.
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +173 / 5 / -21

That is only racist if you want it to be there are no qualifiers or assumptions, it is what it is.. don't pretend no one notices..

I like Richardson, but as does everyone else he brings baggage.. primarily for his work in the UN.. if he is the choice can't wait for the barrage on Rush, Worldnet and Newsmax.. Savage will advocate his death.. prepare for the verbage of the new world order.. on and on.. is it mid November yet.
  14. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

But it's also his work at the UN which gives him some extra diplomatic clout as a potential veep.

And who--really--who gives a rats azz about Savage? I'm not sure, but you and I probably have some good middle ground there. The man is about two levels below troglodyte. I occasionally catch a few minutes here and there while driving, and it either makes me laugh (rather than cry) or just get livid...

And I'm pretty sure that if *I* had said "no, Richardson is hispanic, that'll never work" you'd be leading the charge to have me tarred and or feathered.
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

From the Stating the Obvious Department:
    McCain and Obama's choices for VP are potentially the most relevant of our time. Given the morbid and undesireable consequences of either not making it through their first term (for very different reasons), their choices will be very closely scrutinized.