PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're On to Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of things just from stats, I haven't seen Detriot play much :

- Detroit is 6th in the league in sacks allowed, with 31. The last two teams we played have allowed 26 COMBINED. The Patriots have allowed 16. So Stafford takes a lot of sacks; while he can move around in the pocket he doesn't run upfield so I would expect we'll get after the QB quite a lot this week.

- Detroit is 3rd last in rushing offense, averaging 3.2 YPC. I imagine we'll be able to play a good amount of nickel still confident we can stop the run.

- The stats definitely back up their defense. Football Outsiders stats, though, make it look like they can be spread out. According to their stats (prior to AZ game, this weeks stats aren't out yet), Detroit's pass defense is #1 vs. #1 WR, #9 vs. #2 WR, #23 vs. other WR, #11 vs. TE, #20 vs. RB (against the pass). So those numbers suggest we should be able to pass if we spread it around. And, speculating here, I'll be curious if we might run better than expected if we spread them out more than most teams do.

"Any of that BS"

Hah, I love it. Tom, you have the correct mindset. Domes blow!

He has the mindset of a kid who grew up around here playing football in the fall/winter. A perfect fit.

He has the mindset of a kid who grew up around here playing football in the fall/winter. A perfect fit.

It must have been from playing in college. I wouldn't think San Mateo would instill such an attitude.

When you can speak about someone this successful and say they have the mindset of a kid, they are truly blessed.

A couple of things just from stats, I haven't seen Detriot play much :

- Detroit is 6th in the league in sacks allowed, with 31. The last two teams we played have allowed 26 COMBINED. The Patriots have allowed 16. So Stafford takes a lot of sacks; while he can move around in the pocket he doesn't run upfield so I would expect we'll get after the QB quite a lot this week.

- Detroit is 3rd last in rushing offense, averaging 3.2 YPC. I imagine we'll be able to play a good amount of nickel still confident we can stop the run.

- The stats definitely back up their defense. Football Outsiders stats, though, make it look like they can be spread out. According to their stats (prior to AZ game, this weeks stats aren't out yet), Detroit's pass defense is #1 vs. #1 WR, #9 vs. #2 WR, #23 vs. other WR, #11 vs. TE, #20 vs. RB (against the pass). So those numbers suggest we should be able to pass if we spread it around. And, speculating here, I'll be curious if we might run better than expected if we spread them out more than most teams do.
I was looking there, too. It may be more of a game where our front 7 vs. their OL could be the determining factor. Looks to be a game where maybe Ayers, Ninko and Collins batter Stafford. There pass protection is #23. I think if Detroit turns one over early the specter of invinciblility which looms over Foxboro will quickly rattle them.

I'm thinking another blowout. The unfamiliarity of coming here and contending with the mythical BB and Brady in the elements is going to prove much to overwhelming for this NFC North leading pretender IMO. I feel a smackdown coming.

i don't have the numbers, but stafford has a abysmal record against teams with winning records.
he's also mistake prone. we'll force a few turnovers and kill this team.
go patriots!
I heard it was 0-15 or something.

Let's go for another Detroit 0-16!

The Lions will be the third consecutive Division leader that the Patriots face. Some interesting Detroit statistics:

Lions Point per Game: 18.8 (yawn) (Patriots? 32.3)
Lions rushing yards per game: 79.8 (31st in the league)
# of times Stafford has gotten sacked: 31 Is there any chance Chandler Jones returns? (Brady sacked? 16)
# of time Detroit sacks opposing QB: 28 (Patriots? 23)
Turnover ratio: +3 (Patriots +11)
FG% 54.2% :eek: 32nd in the NFL! The Lions play in a dome for crying out loud. The Lions kickers are 5 of 16 beyond 40 yards. That means they have to get inside the 23-yard-line to have a better than 33% chance of getting points. (Gostkowski? 96%)

The Detroit Lions lost to the Panthers :eek::eek: , the Bills :eek:, and the AZ Cardinals.

They've beaten two teams with winning records: the Packers and the Miami Dolphins, both at home.

The Lions' win over the Packers was the first game of the season, and they held the Packers to 7 points. That's video that will be scrutinized in Foxborough.

The 7-3 Lions are 1) all smoke and mirrors, and 2) are going to need a miracle to win in Foxboro next Sunday.

Number 1 in both total defense and scoring defense. Explain how this is "smoke and mirrors." Best front 4 in the league by a wide margin. This is precisely the kind of team that gives us problems.

Their front
Number 1 in both total defense and scoring defense. Explain how this is "smoke and mirrors." Best front 4 in the league by a wide margin. This is precisely the kind of team that gives us problems.

Their front 4 is great just might be the best in the league. But I wouldn't put them much better then buffalo, especially with fairley out. Suh is great but has he been better this season then Dareus, I don't think so. We handled buffalos line pretty well.

Ihedigbo just painted a bullseye target on his own forehead. Poor soul:

Ben Volin ✔ @BenVolin
RT @davebirkett: Lions S James Ihedigbo on what impresses him most about Tom Brady: “His hair”

Ihedigbo just painted a bullseye target on his own forehead. Poor soul:

Ben Volin ✔ @BenVolin
RT @davebirkett: Lions S James Ihedigbo on what impresses him most about Tom Brady: “His hair”

That's funny! I'm sure it was all in fun, Iggy seemed like a decent guy and left on good terms.

It is interesting that NE seems to be doing a tour through 2011's secondary, though. Does that mean a SB against Dallas in in the cards?

Haven't heard that at all in the last 6 weeks :rolleyes:

Absolutely. The whole, "a great DL is how you beat NE" is really a bunch of nonsense. A great DL helps you beat everyone. And the funny thing is, it wasn't even a great DL that led to NE struggling against Baltimore (particularly in the game NE won). NE's problem with Baltimore is that they couldn't outsmart them, and, in 2012 especially, NE didn't have the receivers to beat them 1:1. Sure, Connolly was destroyed in the 2010 loss to the Jets, but, again, NY's DBs were major factor in the victory as well as a superb coaching job by Rex. He exploited all of NE's tendencies, particularly their running game, which was far too personnel based.

The OL being manhandled by the DL is certainly a recipe for failure, but that doesn't mean Detroit is in any way "the type of team the Patriots struggle against." They're just a good defense.

Last edited:
As TB said (source ESPN) "...“I think it’s cold pretty much here on out,” Brady said. “There’s no dome games or any of that BS. It’s all football weather from here on out.”..."

So, I like our chances and stick to my assertion that the Lions D might not have the same comfort and rhythm that they are used to in a dome.

Well there go our chances in the SB game this year............:(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/University_of_Phoenix_Stadium_no_field.jpg

Real glad it is a nice early 1PM kickoff.
Temp near 50 at game time. Not much wind. Sunny. More like an early October day. I'm definitely taking the Over.

Interesting random thought, ever since Belichick said "We're on to Cincinnati", everybody is using that line this year. From John Fox to Griffin, we're on to XXX is everywhere. Everybody wants to be belichick.

Interesting random thought, ever since Belichick said "We're on to Cincinnati", everybody is using that line this year. From John Fox to Griffin, we're on to XXX is everywhere. Everybody wants to be belichick.

It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing