PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Were NFL defenses catching up to the tricky 2007 Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
are we still talking about that SB lol there is no blue print to stop brady or moss if there was both of them would have been out of the NFL 5 yers ago the g man just got hot at the right time and they have a realy good D they just won its the NFL any given sunday if we played them that yer 10 times we win 9 thats the same why we beat the rams we was the best team that day if we played the rams 10 times that yer we lose 9 times thats why its called the superbowl because it dose not matter how good your team may be that outher team is there for a reason they can play to

Hi, I'm the one who argued with you earlier. I hope to do a more in-depth look at the Pats 2007 season with my own breakdown hopefully sometime this weekend or next weekend. But I’ll quickly take a look at what you wrote….

For right now, I’ll just say that I have quite a few objections with your stats. First off, you selectively picked your stats. You saw two games that didn’t fit your argument and simply chose to delete them. Anyone who is familiar with statistics or taken a course on the subject would tell you it’s a misleading way of presenting an argument, you might even call it “a crock.”
Also, after deleting the two “weather games” you didn’t even bother to include the 3 playoff games in your averages – you chose to treat those games separately. Therefore, you chose to compare a rather manipulated “final five” regular season games to the first half of the year. Again, you are picking and choosing your stats to fit the frame of your argument. It would’ve been much better to try and split the entire 19 game season in two halves, with the 10th game of the season (Philly) as the cutoff point since I previously claimed that it was pretty much the point where teams started mixing it up on D.

If you believe the two “weather games” were aberrations, or “outliers.” Then in statistics the proper way to diminish their affect is to also treat the two highest scoring games as outliers. I’ll point out that I personally believe an NFL season is far, far, far too small of a sample size to treat games as outliers – you simply factor in all the data. But we’ll do this for the sake of an argument. Therefore if you are going to delete the Baltimore and NYJ game, I will also delete the Steelers game and the wk 17 Giants game, because they were the two highest scoring affairs on the latter half of the season. When I do that, the Patriots PPG average over the last 9 games goes down to a meager 25 PPG; which would’ve been 10th in the entire NFL.
What was it over the first 10 games? Well, like I did above; deleting the two aberrant high scoring games (Wash, Buf) and deleting the two outlying low scoring games (Indy, CLE) NEs PPG over the first half skyrockets to a whopping 40.8; far and away #1 in the NFL. I believe this shows a pretty clear downward trend for the 2007 Patriots offense.

But I hope to take a deeper look sometime in the future, just not now...
[/I]

Your devastating critique is going to be ignored, since after all as you said the OP selectively deleted games that went against his worldview. He's basically cherry picking stats to build a case on a house of cards.

Sorry I didn't read everything.

Defenses always catch up with teams that fall in love with the pass and become one dimensional.

If I have a great pass rush and you tell me you're passing every down you're handing me a gift.

If you don't believe me ask the Rams greatest show on turf, or the early edition (before they smartened up) Peyton manning Colts.

No rocket science physics needed, balanced offense succeeds in the post season.

And the final point is this: the Super Bowl wasn't an aberration, it was the culmination of the League figuring out how to defend the 2007 offense, in a manner pointed out in your article. The Browns started that party, others continued it, and the Giants perfected it. Yes, the Giants had the talent to do it, but so will about 1/3 of the teams in the League.

The damning piece of evidence is Brady's suggestion to JM at halftime that they should try something else, and JM's shouting it down. The guy was in over his head, a one hit wonder at that point. I don't know what he learned last year, which could be a lot, but at the end of 2007 he was not capable of switching gears. If he had been, he would have noticed how the League was catching up to the offense and made adjustments well prior to the Super Bowl.

But gosh, it was fun to watch for 2/3 of the season.

Anyway, I found a nice interview with Giants Defensive Back coach, Peter Giunta, specifically on how they beat the Patriots. He elaborates on a few of the points I made and you dismissed like the value of the Ravens/Eagles game - and the Browns game - which I didn't know. He also points out how vanilla the Jags were, which was something I also pointed out. Either way, it's pretty clear that teams gain a lot from proper film study and learn quite a bit from each other. Not that I think this is any sort of a revelation on my part; I just think it's awful that you choose to be so dismissive over such an important aspect of the game. Anyway, here's the article...

How we stopped the greatest offense ever Giants assistant reveals the game plan[/I]

The 2007 offense caught most off guard because of the innovative spread offense adapted from Meyer, which nobody had seen in the league.

Marv Levy, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and the K-gun crew from the 90's Bills say hi!

Warren Moon, the smurf receivers, and the 80's Oiler's run-and-shoot say hi!

Sam Wyche, Boomer Esiason, and the 100% no-huddle/ "Sugar huddle" late 80's Bengals say hi!

Sure there are different aspects to each one, but there isn't much of anything that the league and the veteran "lifers" on NFL coaching staffs have not seen.

Brady was not 100% in the Super Bowl, Moss seemed distracted by the made-up-chit from the media, and the Giants played a perfect game on D. I am over it (almost!).

Personally, I find Shockt's argument persuasive. And it matches the impressions of the team I got during 2007. The first half of the season was a romp. Each game in the second half was more difficult to win than the one before it, culminating in the SB.

That said, I think we have all the tools we need to win the SB this year. Galloway and Taylor will make important contributions, I believe. I anticipate that this year's secondary will be better than last year's, which was frightening for Patriots fans.

My main worry is that I do not see how we will be consistently able to pressure the QB, especially after the loss of Vrabel. Despite what he says, I'm not sure BB is right about our young LBs--and I'm not even sure he thinks he is. Every time I log onto Patsfans, I expect to see that we have acquired Peppers or Taylor.

That pass rush is the missing link in this year's team. Maybe Crable and Guyton will provide it, maybe Mayo will be asked to do it more...but if we can't get pressure on the quarterback, the secondary is going to be under a lot of pressure. And lets remember, however good Bodden and Springs are, they're going to be learning a defense that's new to them.

The same is true, by the way of Chung, if he steps in. I sure hope that Rodney will be back.

And the final point is this: the Super Bowl wasn't an aberration, it was the culmination of the League figuring out how to defend the 2007 offense, in a manner pointed out in your article. The Browns started that party, others continued it, and the Giants perfected it. Yes, the Giants had the talent to do it, but so will about 1/3 of the teams in the League.

Wow - 1/3 of the league has the same talent that Giants D line had? I find that statement more than a little debatable since the Giants lost 2 elite players off that group in 2008 and were still considered the best defensive line in the NFL.

Ah, it has been too long since we have rehashed the same old tired McDaniels arguments. I welcome them back! Note the sarcasm.

McDaniels is gone. We all need to let it go. We may see this year how much he really meant for this offense. Although I have always been a McDaniels supporter, I hope now that he is gone that maverick is right. Although I think he may be in for a bit of a shock.

Your devastating critique is going to be ignored, since after all as you said the OP selectively deleted games that went against his worldview. He's basically cherry picking stats to build a case on a house of cards.

If he was leaving games out just for the hell of it, he wouldn't actually have reasons for discounting the games. Or do you really think the sludge conditions in the Jets game had NO bearing on how much we could have scored in that game?

The fact is, I never felt like the offense was in trouble at ANY point in 2007, except about halfway through the Super Bowl when it was clear the Giants were playing the game of their lives. Teams didn't "catch on" to the fact that we had superior offensive talent. The team with the most sacks in the league (by a WIDE margin) got pressure on our QB, and that's going to foul ANY team up.

God, some people just can't accept that the other team gets paid to play too. It's either the Patriots win or the Patriots lose. The other team never seems to win, huh?

I'm sure he's going to say the Pittsburgh definately has the talent to do it.

Football is a game of adjustments ands re-adjustments. It's stupid to think that BB hasn't reviewed the tapes and developed adjustments.

Ofcourse, these are the same guys who probably think "wildcat" will be a staple in the league for years and the "run and shoot" and the "wishbone" are mis-understood.

Matt Cassell (God bless him) <> Tom Brady. Any analysis of offensive output between 2007 and 2008 is just plain irrelevent and stupid, and is nothing more than wishful thinking by a non-Patriot fan.

That said, the offensive performance in 2007 really was extraordinary, and it would not be plausible for at least some NFL teams to figure out schemes to at least slow the Pats down (re: Indy, Philly, Baltimore, and ultimately the NY Giants). There's also the issue of McDaniels moving on: how much of the 2007 offense was directly linked to his OC prowess.

In any case, it's up to the current Patriot coaching to adjust to what the rest of the league figures out, much as the way at least some teams adjusted to Miami's wildcat offense once they revealed it.

Equaling their 2007 record breaking output of 579 (or whatever it was) will be very difficult to do. I would be more than happy to see them break 500.

dude, I have just shown you that this is a CROCK!

spread your misinformation and unread joke e-mail fwds elsewhere, plz.

you have zero factual basis for this opinion.
Whoa! Dude, chill!

Are you upset because you spent all that time writing up that analysis, just to see Maverick try to knock it down in a matter of three or four sentences? His response was not unreasonable, and I agree with it in general. YOU on the other hand, have zero tolerance for an opposing opinion.

We're all rooting for the same team on this board. Get a grip.

Last edited:

The damning piece of evidence is Brady's suggestion to JM at halftime that they should try something else, and JM's shouting it down. The guy was in over his head, a one hit wonder at that point. I don't know what he learned last year, which could be a lot, but at the end of 2007 he was not capable of switching gears. If he had been, he would have noticed how the League was catching up to the offense and made adjustments well prior to the Super Bowl.

But gosh, it was fun to watch for 2/3 of the season.

The Giants...the Browns...
Who are they?
There was no blueprint to 2007.
I would rather have a better defense anyway.

Again....
There is no team in the league that will have our blueprint or "our card".
This "catching-up" is all nonsense.

I agree with those who way there is no "Blue Print" for figure out our offense because it wasn't a GIMMICK offense like the "Wild Cat" was.

It was a matter of talent, not hocus pocus. The weak links were the running game (mostly because of injuries as I believe that a healthy Sammy Morris all year would have been servicable enough) and the offensive line.

I don't think our Oline was horrible... just less talented than other areas of our offense. The giants found a chink in the armor and they used their incredibly talented DLine to hammer away at it all game, neutralizing much of the power the rest of our offense had because we didn't have the time necessary to use it.

A better Oline or a great rushing attack to counter the pressure would have been enough to overcome it. As it was, we still had a great shot at winning the game despite these factors.

I agree with the OP in that I don't believe teams have "caught up" to us or have some "blue print" for beating us. The offense will continue to roll this year.

Hi, I'm the one who argued with you earlier. I hope to do a more in-depth look at the Pats 2007 season with my own breakdown hopefully sometime this weekend or next weekend. But I’ll quickly take a look at what you wrote….

For right now, I’ll just say that I have quite a few objections with your stats. First off, you selectively picked your stats. You saw two games that didn’t fit your argument and simply chose to delete them. Anyone who is familiar with statistics or taken a course on the subject would tell you it’s a misleading way of presenting an argument, you might even call it “a crock.”
Also, after deleting the two “weather games” you didn’t even bother to include the 3 playoff games in your averages – you chose to treat those games separately. Therefore, you chose to compare a rather manipulated “final five” regular season games to the first half of the year. Again, you are picking and choosing your stats to fit the frame of your argument. It would’ve been much better to try and split the entire 19 game season in two halves, with the 10th game of the season (Philly) as the cutoff point since I previously claimed that it was pretty much the point where teams started mixing it up on D.

If you believe the two “weather games” were aberrations, or “outliers.” Then in statistics the proper way to diminish their affect is to also treat the two highest scoring games as outliers. I’ll point out that I personally believe an NFL season is far, far, far too small of a sample size to treat games as outliers – you simply factor in all the data. But we’ll do this for the sake of an argument. Therefore if you are going to delete the Baltimore and NYJ game, I will also delete the Steelers game and the wk 17 Giants game, because they were the two highest scoring affairs on the latter half of the season. When I do that, the Patriots PPG average over the last 9 games goes down to a meager 25 PPG; which would’ve been 10th in the entire NFL.
What was it over the first 10 games? Well, like I did above; deleting the two aberrant high scoring games (Wash, Buf) and deleting the two outlying low scoring games (Indy, CLE) NEs PPG over the first half skyrockets to a whopping 40.8; far and away #1 in the NFL. I believe this shows a pretty clear downward trend for the 2007 Patriots offense.

But I hope to take a deeper look sometime in the future, just not now...

My other point of contention was that you mocked the idea that the Giants benefited from seeing how other teams attacked the Pats D, and learning from their mistakes/ successes. This is what teams do. This isn't referring to "trickery" either; so I have no clue why you are using that word. There was a noticeable difference when it came to how defenses attacked the Patriots that year. Personally, I don’t really understand why you seem to object so vehemently. No one is saying that Patriots are going to flop in 2009. I said that I believe the 2009 team might even be better. I just don’t think the offense will be one of the greatest of all time like in 2007 - hardly an unreasonable argument. Anyway, I found a nice interview with Giants Defensive Back coach, Peter Giunta, specifically on how they beat the Patriots. He elaborates on a few of the points I made and you dismissed like the value of the Ravens/Eagles game - and the Browns game - which I didn't know. He also points out how vanilla the Jags were, which was something I also pointed out. Either way, it's pretty clear that teams gain a lot from proper film study and learn quite a bit from each other. Not that I think this is any sort of a revelation on my part; I just think it's awful that you choose to be so dismissive over such an important aspect of the game. Anyway, here's the article...

How we stopped the greatest offense ever Giants assistant reveals the game plan

They went through all of the other tapes from 2007 and realized one method of defending the Patriots didn't work. "The Jaguars basically rushed three guys the entire game and put the extra defenders in coverage," said Giunta. "As I think everyone saw, it didn't work. Tom Brady had all the time in the world. And every pass he threw was almost perfect. We realized that was not going to be us."

Eagles', Ravens' blueprint
One game that particularly caught the interest of the Giants coaches was not the game everyone probably would have predicted, like Philadelphia or Baltimore. It was the Patriots game against the Cleveland Browns, on Oct. 7. The Patriots won, 34-17, which seemed to fit in with all their previous blowout wins the first two months. But the win was a lot tougher than the stat sheet revealed. Two of the Patriots touchdowns followed interceptions in Browns territory (34- and 25-yard lines) and another came on a fourth quarter interception return (Randall Gay) for a touchdown. And while Brady had a very good quarterback rating, 105.7, he completed only 22 of 38 passes for 57.5 percent, his lowest until the Ravens game eight weeks later. "We learned the most from watching this game. Romeo knew the (Patriots) group," he said of Cleveland head coach Romeo Crennel, the former Patriots defensive coordinator. "The Browns played a two-deep (safety) scheme, mixing them up on third down, especially. Their players always put their hands on receivers at the line of scrimmage, especially on third down. It was the best we saw. "Romeo didn't want to get beat giving up the deep pass. It was similar to what you saw the Eagles and Ravens do," said Giunta. "But the Browns did it better." The Browns were the first team that decided Moss, who had averaged 7.8 receptions for 126.3 yards and 1.8 TDs the first four games, was not going to beat them. Moss finished the Cleveland game with three catches for 46 yards and no scores. "They also got a little pressure on Brady," said Giunta. "It was really the game that showed us the most." He really means the second most, because the Giants-Pats game to end the regular season was their barometer, and specifically those notes. And the defensive game plan was born.

The plan was to defend the Patriots, on most plays, with four down linemen, five underneath defenders (three linebackers and two cornerbacks) and two deep safeties.

All eyes on Brady

It was the same defense the Ravens used against the Patriots. But the Giants were going to make one adjustment. "The five underneath guys can't all play with their backs to Brady, which is what the Ravens did," said Giunta. "Because there were a couple of times, one I believe was a fourth-and-6, and Brady took off for a first down because nobody was looking. I realize he's not a runner, but he will run if nobody is paying attention to him." The game could not have worked out any better, particularly on defense.

The weather was a factor in both the Ravens and Jets games. The Chargers were awful at the beginning of the season, which skewed that game. The Giants were a far better team at the end of the season than they had been at the beginning, and their record didn't reflect that. The Patriots played "Hail Mary" with Moss in the second half of the Dolphins game in an attempt to set the record, rather than just running their offense.

6 of 9
5 of 10
6 of 10
6 of 10
5 of 12
7 of 12
7 of 11
7 of 11

5 of 11
7 of 8
4 of 9
4 of 12 (Ravens)
6 of 10
3 of 10 (Jets)
4 of 13 (Dolphins)
7 of 11

Notice that the Patriots had their 3 worst drive/conversion games against the Ravens, Jets and Dolphins. Either the weather and gunning 2nd half had an impact, or that's one heck of a coincidence. After all, in the second Dolphins game, of the 6 possessions in the first half, 4 were touchdowns, 1 was a punt and the last was a 1 play end of half possession. It's not as if the Dolphins had shown any sign of stopping the Patriots before the "everything to Randy" show commenced.

Whoa! Dude, chill!

Are you upset because you spent all that time writing up that analysis, just to see Maverick try to knock it down in a matter of three or four sentences? His response was not unreasonable, and I agree with it in general. YOU on the other hand, have zero tolerance for an opposing opinion.

We're all rooting for the same team on this board. Get a grip.

wtf are you talking about?

The loss of Morris is what tanked the '07 offense. Look at time of possession and balance of run vs pass plays before and after.

The loss of Morris is what tanked the '07 offense. Look at time of possession and balance of run vs pass plays before and after.

hold on....let me go look up the san diego playoff game....

hold on....let me go look up the san diego playoff game....

I ran the stats for the regular season, like a year ago, and sent them to several of the EEI shows. Not sure if the playoffs were part of the analysis. It seemed that BB was worried about exposing Maroney to injury, which would have totally unbalanced the O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes