Welcome to PatsFans.com

We're lucky we're not watching the St. Louis Patriots today...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JSn, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Jim Donaldson: Kraft’s crafty move gave the Patriots a new lease on life in Foxboro. | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

2. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

3. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

#61 Jersey

Yes indeed. As someone who has followed the Pats since 1973, I've always been amazed by those who have come onboard the past few years and haven't read about the team's history.

We are incredibly fortunate to have Bob Kraft as the owner of this team, someone who is not only a respected and "sharp-as-a-tack" businessman, but a true fan of his team. He could've just seen it as a business and ran it as such, not caring too terribly much about the day to day as long as the money came in. But he didn't, and it is to our good fortune that he didn't.

Now, I also admit that he has priced me out of attending games anymore, or at least for the forseeable future. But I understand his debt service and the fact that it IS a business. I can deal with that. Heh, I have to. :) But I am still thankful for the way things turned out. It could've been so much worse.
  4. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

As a guy from NJ who became a fan when Parcells took over the team, I never really knew how close they were to leaving. Wow, that was a very interesting read. Thanks, JSn.
  5. TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A few thoughts:

1) What are "treble" damages? I mean if Orthwein was already offering $75 mil to get out of the lease, how much would he have paid if he had just broken the lease?

2) The ironic thing about the Braves is that they left Boston for Milwaukee, and then left Milwaukee for Atlanta. My grandparents used to go to Milwaukee (a good four-hour drive in those days, if not more) to see the Braves. In their heyday, the Braves were almost as popular in this state as the Packers; the Brewers have never matched that popularity.

Even worse, when the Brewers switched to the National League in 1998, they hosted the Braves and the team made a big deal about "welcoming the Braves back to Milwaukee." :confused: Why would you welcome someone who screwed you over like that? You think the first time the Ravens hosted the Colts they had a campaign to "welcome the Colts back"???

3) The Kraft ownership is to me one of the coolest things about the Patriots. Packer fans like to brag that "they own the team", but let's be realistic. How often does a guy who sits in the bleachers ultimately move in to the owner's box?
  6. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't be. Like the former Baltimore Colt fans, pretty much the only thing that would stop making me a Patriots fan would be if the team left.
  7. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -7

#12 Jersey

8. NovaScotiaPatsFan

NovaScotiaPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I knew about it, but that's just when I started to get in to the Pats and football in general so honestly my football IQ wasn't very high back then. As opposed to now with yunno me being a genius and all. ;)
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  9. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

It could well have been the St. Louis Patriots vs the New England Rams.
  10. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

#61 Jersey

Treble damages is 3X damages, or triple. He would have had to pay triple the amount that Kraft would have taken in for lease payments for the remaining years of the lease, had he broken the lease.
  11. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I too am thankful for the Krafts.
  12. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Thanks for posting, and thank you to Mr Kraft.....truly the best owner in sports!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.