PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're leading in the division

Status
Not open for further replies.
See the difference is that I recognize that BB is susceptible to criticism on many issues. But, unlike you, I recognize that a great NFL decision maker is right about 55% of the time. I prefer to accept that incorrect decisions will be made and not deride a guy who has brought so much success to this franchise in order to sound intelligent about the 45% that are less than perfect.
Thats OK though, keep ripping BB, and whenever you want please give me the list of all those that you feel are doing or have done better.

Ahhh..... now you've resorted to straw men. How cute!

1.) I realize that nobody is perfect. It's a point I've made many a time in defense of this team's drafting. So, that "55%" garbage is just that: garbage.

2.) I prefer to use a message board to talk about both the things I like about what's going on and the things I don't. If I wanted to only read positive things, I'd only look to the Patriots PR. staff. If I only wanted to say positive things, I'd look for a job as a company shill. Since I prefer to use message boards to bandy ideas and opinions back and forth, I'll continue to do that rather than just blindly following.

I've repeatedly said that Belichick is the best coach in the game. The thing is that, apparently unlike yourself, I'm able to understand the import of your "55%" claim.

I thought the results are in for Seymour trade: he is having a good year in Oakland (I believe 8 sacks). Pats absolutely positively SUCK at pass rush. Bad trade. How is a first round in 2011 going to help you rush Manning this year in playoff?

In my book, the trade is going down as one of the worst as far as timing.

Season isnt over. And btw, the number of sacks Seymour gets in a one gap system on an awful team isnt really relevant

Ahhh..... now you've resorted to straw men. How cute!

1.) I realize that nobody is perfect. It's a point I've made many a time in defense of this team's drafting. So, that "55%" garbage is just that: garbage.

2.) I prefer to use a message board to talk about both the things I like about what's going on and the things I don't. If I wanted to only read positive things, I'd only look to the Patriots PR. staff. If I only wanted to say positive things, I'd look for a job as a company shill. Since I prefer to use message boards to bandy ideas and opinions back and forth, I'll continue to do that rather than just blindly following.

I've repeatedly said that Belichick is the best coach in the game. The thing is that, apparently unlike yourself, I'm able to understand the import of your "55%" claim.

Great then keep searching for those mistakes. They are easy to find because every team is making them. You'll have a lot to talk about while you wallow in yur negatvity.

Season isnt over. And btw, the number of sacks Seymour gets in a one gap system on an awful team isnt really relevant

1 gap vs 2 gap in a reactionary pass rush scheme stats are egalitarian, dude.

1 gap vs 2 gap in a reactionary pass rush scheme stats are egalitarian, dude.

One gap or 2 gap makes a big difference in a base D, and is irrelevant in a pass rush package, if thats what you are saying, but if you are saying sack totals are equaivalent playing 34 DE for the Pats or in a 43 for the one gap Raiders that couldnt be further from true, unless you can show me all his sacks were on 3rd down or something.

Whatever. I choose to look forward with optism.
You clearly look to find fault and hope you are correct. Good luck with that.

No, you choose to go blindly forward hoping a truck doesn't hit you. I prefer to go with my eyes open.

The Patriots bring in top tier money and have the best coach in the game. They spend to the cap almost every year. Making Brady one of the highest paid players in the NFL, paying Moss $9 million per, etc.... are not exactly examples of Kraft refusing to pony up for quality players. If you hear players talk you hear about how well they are treated when it comes to food, facilities and the like.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/215789-lombardis-view-uncapped-future-nfl-world.html#post1284260

Not exactly negative there.... let's look again, shall we?

Hey, look at this next one, where I'm saying that I'm in 100% agreement with Mgteich that, as of 5-20-09, "we still have the team to compete for the AFC championship and the Super Bowl..."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/240222-defensive-philosophy.html#post1387870

Here, just a general defense of the team:

16-0 "hasn't worked"? 49-15 "hasn't worked"?

Pittsburgh has 41 wins in that time frame. Indianapolis has 51 wins in that time frame. Perhaps you might try being a bit more realistic.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/248076-sporting-news-brady-back-things-looking-super.html#post1417379

Now, notice the change, and the statement of 'why'........

Frankly, any Patriots fan that does not seriously re-evaluate their expectations for this team in light of this change on top of all the prior uncertainties should probably be Baker Acted (or whatever their state's equivalent might be called).

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/268881-consensus-sb-favorites-few-days-ago.html#post1491347

My position on the trade, reinforced/reiterated:

If the team never loses a game and never trails from now until the end of the season, it'll still just be a bad trade that was overcome.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/271721-seymour-beast-page2.html#post1504911

I have plenty of optimism about this team, in the general sense. That doesn't mean that I shouldn't point out when I think they've screwed up. As I've said before, and I believe I've posted it here on Patsfans.com as well, I expect that BB will do better moving forward after this season. That doesn't magically mean that he hasn't screwed up royally this year. It means that I've got confidence in his ability to do better.

Great then keep searching for those mistakes. They are easy to find because every team is making them. You'll have a lot to talk about while you wallow in yur negatvity.

its actually called being realistic......unlike your fantasies about the pats being 3 plays from 10-2

One gap or 2 gap makes a big difference in a base D, and is irrelevant in a pass rush package, if thats what you are saying

Egalitarian = equal, as the French-Latin root of the word suggests.

No, you choose to go blindly forward hoping a truck doesn't hit you. I prefer to go with my eyes open.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ew-uncapped-future-nfl-world.html#post1284260

Not exactly negative there.... let's look again, shall we?

Hey, look at this next one, where I'm saying that I'm in 100% agreement with Mgteich that, as of 5-20-09, "we still have the team to compete for the AFC championship and the Super Bowl..."

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../240222-defensive-philosophy.html#post1387870

Here, just a general defense of the team:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...dy-back-things-looking-super.html#post1417379

Now, notice the change, and the statement of 'why'........

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...us-sb-favorites-few-days-ago.html#post1491347

My position on the trade, reinforced/reiterated:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...0/271721-seymour-beast-page2.html#post1504911

I have plenty of optimism about this team, in the general sense. That doesn't mean that I shouldn't point out when I think they've screwed up. As I've said before, and I believe I've posted it here on Patsfans.com as well, I expect that BB will do better moving forward after this season. That doesn't magically mean that he hasn't screwed up royally this year. It means that I've got confidence in his ability to do better.

We just have a different outlook.
I try to figure out why we will win the next game. With BB here, that's easy for me.
I try to look at the whole picture. Over the years I have come to realize that BB is right more than anyone else. He is also wrong often, but less than anyone else.

When Pete Carroll amd Bobby Grier were here, I expected that I would be disappointed.
With BB here I expect that I will be pleasantly surprised.

I suppose the differnece between you and I is this:

1) I believe that from my vantage point I have about 15% of the date necessary to make (or judge) the appropriate decision
2) Given #1, if I trust the guy making the decision (which I do today) I believe in the decision, or at least believe the decision will be right more often than normal, you seem to not
3) I am optimistic until proven wrong instead of pessimistic until proven wrong
4) I could care less if my post on a message board turn out to be right or wrong, I post to express my feelings about the team, which often turns out to be to overcome my concerns and make me feel better. I predict the Patriots to win every single game in the prediction thread. I do not believe they will win every single game but I enjoy being a fan more when I expect they are going to.

its actually called being realistic......unlike your fantasies about the pats being 3 plays from 10-2

But they are.
Figuring out how to make those 3 plays is a big job for BB, but thats the situation. Its not like we lost 5 games we shouldnt have won.

But they are.
Figuring out how to make those 3 plays is a big job for BB, but thats the situation. Its not like we lost 5 games we shouldnt have won.

and they are 2 plays from being 5-7

so you think BB has done a good job over the years with the LB's on the team?

One gap or 2 gap makes a big difference in a base D, and is irrelevant in a pass rush package, if thats what you are saying, but if you are saying sack totals are equaivalent playing 34 DE for the Pats or in a 43 for the one gap Raiders that couldnt be further from true, unless you can show me all his sacks were on 3rd down or something.

Wow. Thanks for assuming I'm ******ed. Of course there is an enormous difference beween a five tech, a three tech, a seven tech, and a nine tech. What we're looking at numerically is irrespective of base d. Fans who not only self educate, but find convienent excuses attribute nearly everything to a 2 gap 34. In passing situations, this could not be further from the truth. Pass rush is a function of players first and scheme second. Further, scheme is predicated upon the strength of the d-line.

2-gap when executed properly does spread stats out, as it is predicated upon both schematic diversity and offensive playcall. For the dilletantes, it is an excuse to justify a lack of cohesive unit execution.

Like I said before, defensive football has many permutations, the majority of which as irrespectiv

are you the boy that refuses to cry until he sees the final nail in the coffin?

Wow. Thanks for assuming I'm ******ed. ....

Granted that your NFL IQ is among the top percentile of this board, but do you really think Andy was trying to act smart or in a condescending manner for you to snap like this? Don't think so Sir.

Wow. Thanks for assuming I'm ******ed. Of course there is an enormous difference beween a five tech, a three tech, a seven tech, and a nine tech. What we're looking at numerically is irrespective of base d. Fans who not only self educate, but find convienent excuses attribute nearly everything to a 2 gap 34. In passing situations, this could not be further from the truth. Pass rush is a function of players first and scheme second. Further, scheme is predicated upon the strength of the d-line.

2-gap when executed properly does spread stats out, as it is predicated upon both schematic diversity and offensive playcall. For the dilletantes, it is an excuse to justify a lack of cohesive unit execution.

Like I said before, defensive football has many permutations, the majority of which as irrespectiv

No I'm not assumimg you are ******ed. But you basically said one gap or 2 gap is equal as far as sacks are concerned, and that simply isnt true.
I would say base 2 gap D is somewhere from 40 to 50% of the snaps. To say 'Seymour has 8 sacks" implies he would have that playing 2 gap 40-50% of his snaps here, having to engage and OL first.
My point was you can't add up Seymours sacks totals and assume he'd be the answer here, because he is playing a different style in a different system, just as you couldn't assume the stats Dwight Freeney gets doing spin moves and ignoring the run on 1st and 10 or 2nd and 4 are the stats he would get in a 2 gap system that prioritzes run D.
I know you know that, but to say one gap and 2 gap are egalitarian is wrong.

My point was you can't add up Seymours sacks totals and assume he'd be the answer here, because he is playing a different style in a different system, just as you couldn't assume the stats Dwight Freeney gets doing spin moves and ignoring the run on 1st and 10 or 2nd and 4 are the stats he would get in a 2 gap system that prioritzes run D.

I find it pretty funny that you're acting like it's unreasonable that Seymour could have 8 sacks here in New England in a 2-gap scheme, when that's exactly how many sacks he had here last year :rolleyes:

Last edited:
are you the boy that refuses to cry until he sees the final nail in the coffin?

I refuse to think being 7-5 and headed to the playoffs means the season is over. I especially refuse to think that when 4 of those 5 losses were very closer to being wins that we cant fix the issues that caused that.

I suppose the differnece between you and I is this:

1) I believe that from my vantage point I have about 15% of the date necessary to make (or judge) the appropriate decision
2) Given #1, if I trust the guy making the decision (which I do today) I believe in the decision, or at least believe the decision will be right more often than normal, you seem to not

There is a thing called inferenced information. Say you see all bank's stock going up next Monday morning, you did not have access to news, you can still infer some kind of data/news favorable to financials just came out.

Let's say another football organization with similar amount of information as us, but end up making a much better decision. I could inference our decision maker has not made optimal decisions. It it happens repeatly, then my confidence of the inference increases. Just like when you see financial stocks go up for a month, you basically know there are a string of very good news without ACTUALLY HAVING KNOWLEDGE OF THE REAL news. You don't need to know EVERYTHING to arrive at that conclusion.

Case in point, we badly need LBs in the draft. Cincy/Houston/Greenbay drafted Maualuga/Cushing/Mathews. We passed on all of them TWICE. They are playing near pro bowl level. We shelf'd Crable, traded Vrable, released Redd, and drafted a non name McKenzie. Our LB play has been very weak. That whole experience told you that the decision-making has been very poor.

So because Bill knows more insights of football, does not mean you can not compare his decision making skills against other teams. Actually you have plenty to compare and contrast.

Inference, my friend, is the key to solving your information asymetry problem.

Granted that your NFL IQ is among the top percentile of this board, but do you really think Andy was trying to act smart or in a condescending manner for you to snap like this? Don't think so Sir.

Here's the thing man : I know nothing. Relative to the pro's, I will never have a semblance of a clue. Yeah, I played some ball, but I was never withinthe most wide leeway of making the league. I have teamates who were drafted who give insight, but I am limited by physical capacity. Luckily, my game was predicated upon schematic awareness. Am I an NFL expert? Hell no. Do I know enough to recognize a poseour when I see one? I sure do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back