PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're Fine At DL/OLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We usually have 10 positions available at these positions; sometimes we have 11. This year, I think that we'll try it with 10.

From last year's ending squad we have lost Banta-Cain and G. Warren.
We've added Wright, Haynsworth, Ellis, Carter and Anderson.
And Belichick may not be done.
======================
DL/NT Wilfork, Ellis, Haynsworth, Wright, Brace, Carter
OLB Moore, Cunningham, Ninkovich

CHOOSE 1 -3 depending on whether all of the above make the 53
Anderson, Deaderick, Pryor, Love, M. Carter, Richard, Weston

We usually have 10 positions available at these positions; sometimes we have 11. This year, I think that we'll try it with 10.

======================

Its very hard to say which acquisitions will stick and which won't, a lot because of age. Players just hit a wall. We saw a long run of veteran corners who starter elsewhere brought in (5 years or so ago) and were cut by the end of camp. With that qualification, here is my guess:

LOCKS
Wilfork, Haynesworth, Ellis, Brace, Wright
Cunningham, Ninkovich

2 of the others will be OLB/DE
My guess is ACarter and Moore

That leaves one spot out 10
If Deaderick has overcome the suspension last year, he should stick
If not Anderson, Pryor, MCarter would be the guys I see competing for it.
Keeping 11 is certainly possible too.

I agree with all your comments.

Also, there still could be another addition to compete for the last one or two roster spots (10 and perhaps 11).

Its very hard to say which acquisitions will stick and which won't, a lot because of age. Players just hit a wall. We saw a long run of veteran corners who starter elsewhere brought in (5 years or so ago) and were cut by the end of camp. With that qualification, here is my guess:

LOCKS
Cunningham, Ninkovich

I agree with all your comments.

Also, there still could be another addition to compete for the last one or two roster spots (10 and perhaps 11).
I like what we have though.

Breaking it down:

DE/NT/DE in the 34 or DE/DT/DT in the 43
Haynesworth
Wilfork
Ellis
Brace
Wright
(a bunch of capable medocrity to fill in the last spot)

OLB in either
Ninkovich
Cunningham

OLB/DE
Cunningham (he could be in either slot if its a 43)
Carter
Moore
Anderson

Then spread that depth in the sub package, and we look strong and deep across the board.

well, if you using a 4-3, you need to include Mayo as an OLB since Spikes would play MLB.

Like some other positions (WR, RB, OT), the Pats seem able to withstand an injury or two at DL/OLB. Given the non-existent offseason and that we haven't heard "Achilles" this much in 3000 years, it seems like a prudent approach for a 14-2 team with a 34 yo elite QB.

If the Pats stay healthy through the preseason, they will have built up a solid shadow roster for in-season needs. Remember, about 1200 players will be given walking papers in a month and it wasn't like the players signed by the Pats were being heavily pursued.

LOCKS
Cunningham, Ninkovich

You see Brace as a lock? I can see him earning a spot on the team, but he hasn't even made it onto the field yet. To hear the media tell it, he's not exactly endearing himself to BB either. He's bigger than anyone else and has shown flashes, but Weston and Love are going to have a decent shot to displace him this year. What makes you list him as a lock - his draft position?

======================

Of your DL/NT keepers, all except Wilfork have significant question marks. Even though an average of only 2 1/2 or so are on the field at once, I've been leaning toward 7 being kept.

At OLB, the reports on Martell Carter sound consistently good. Still, if Anderson pans out, I'd think Carter would find a home on the PS or IR rather than making the 53. But I'm guessing Anderson won't be coachable enough to make it.

Of course, if there really is a partial scheme change reducing the number of downs that have 3 behemoths on the field, then 6 classical DL and 5 OLB/rush DE might be more to the point.

I know the patriots are looking like they are changing their defensive scheme here, but it still makes me very nervous to see them signing all of these longshot guys, it tells me their plan failed them somewhere along the line, and while i hope guys like brace, Cunningham, Love and Pryor can be salvaged, i get the feeling BB is getting tired of these guys being unable to practice or being disappointing when they do.

I've been leaning toward 7 being kept.

(10 perhaps 11).

YES...

I don't see any way that they keep less than 7 DL this yr--and 4 OLB's...

Either they're leaning towards more 4-3 sets/alignments which will call for it, or at the very least they're improving their depth from the glaring weakness in the playoff game where we basically had no one (even though they had 7 DL and 4 OLB to start last yr too). It's certainly a position where there are injuries, and in this particular yr, with a lack of off-season activities + possible increased risk of injury, it needs to be addressed. That, and the fact that the position itself may be viewed as a little 'longer in the tooth' (compared with other positions on the squad) a la 2009/2010 running back situations---which is fine with me, personally.

The real reason I think there will be 11 is that it looks as though the team will have many looks, alignments/fronts--and this will dictate a possible need for good depth. As we know, depth is vital to the game itself, and very important to Belichick personally.

As far as personnel, as another poster already mentioned--that is kind of hard to determine at the moment, but will likely sort itself out by the end of TC + 4 preseason games (hopefully NOT).

If I had to make one prediction, I'm not sure that I'd rule Myron Pryor out of the equation just yet as one of the 7 on the d-line.

Just a personal opinion of course. I just think a little too many are assuming that Deaderick makes the team, which I am not sure I am fully sold on.

I love the ability for guys like Cunningham, Eric Moore, Andre Carter, and Ninkovich to play DE in a 40 front/ and also OLB in a 30 front.

My 11 man prediction:

1.Wilfork

2.Haynesworth

3.S.Ellis

4.Wright

5.Pryor

6.Brace

7.Eric Moore

8.Ninkovich

9.Cunningham

10.Andre Carter

11.ONE of either Deaderick/Love/Anderson

(I think we're pretty much done with any signings, at least in regards to the ones that can actually make the 53 man roster. Any signings from here on out in regards to the D-line will only be potential camp fodder)

As mgteich said--we're pretty much good here now. Very well done BB.

Fun fact:

The last five major additions to DE position, in chronological order:

Eric Moore - 6-4.2
Markell Carter - 6-4.3
Shaun Ellis - 6-4.3
Mark Anderson - 6-4.3
Andre Carter - 6-4.3

Apparently the Patriots know what they are looking for.
(stats from NFL Draft Scout)

I

LOCKS
Cunningham, Ninkovich

Doesn't the saying go something like "One mans locks are another mans JAG"... anyway I think there are not that many locks outside of Wilfork. Guys are going to have to bust their butt to make this team. BB loves the competition and it only improves the team, best players win.

In the end we may disagree with which names he picks but as usual in BB we trust, he knows the players, their work ethic and potential impact.

Expect a few "shockers" when the final cuts are announced.

I know the patriots are looking like they are changing their defensive scheme here, but it still makes me very nervous to see them signing all of these longshot guys, it tells me their plan failed them somewhere along the line, and while i hope guys like brace, Cunningham, Love and Pryor can be salvaged, i get the feeling BB is getting tired of these guys being unable to practice or being disappointing when they do.

"Longshot guys?"

Haynesworth, former All-Pro, gotten for peanuts.
Carter, accomplished veteran starter.
Ellis, accomplished veteran starter.
Anderson, starter.

Do you remember all of the injuries to the DL at the end of last year and especially in the Playoffs? We have 3 DL still on PUP and 90 rosters spots available for camp. We're signing guys who were starters last year to be depth for us this year.

Cunningham played well last year in the 2nd half, and you think BB is ready to give up on him based on a week of practice? Brace was much improved before he got hurt. Pryor and Love along with other youngsters like Deadrick, while it would be nice if they make it, were late-round picks. What is there to salvage? Late round picks flame out all the time.

What we have now is a bunch of veteran starters competing for time and a bunch of young guys competing for the roster. How can that possibly be a bad thing?

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the guys on PUP now starts the season on PUP and wouldn't be surprised to see M. Carter on the PS.

OK, maybe they didn't think they were fine.

Anyway, Gerard Warren listed at 6-4.
Just saying.

Title is misleading.

We have enough players to fill rosters. Whether we're fine or not seems to be up in the air.

OK, maybe they didn't think they were fine.

Reminds me of the 2007 WR overhaul. Remember 06? Caldwell, Doug Gabriel, etc.

Lots of posters thought our WRs were fine, thank goodness BB saw it differently and brought in Moss and Welker.

The defense couldn't get the job done last year, lots of effort but the lack of talent was evident. I am concerned about the age of all these players but anyway you slice it the front seven is much much better.

I believe it will be 11 (outside shot at 12), with at least two on the PUP.

I agree we will see surprise cuts.

Last edited:
I am thinking 8 DL 2 OLB/DE type and 6 more LB's

DL Haynesworth (unless he is injured?), Wilfork, Warren, Carter, Anderson, Wright and eoither Brace or Pryor

OLB/DE Cunningham and Ninkovich

LB Mayo, Guyton, Spikes, Fletcher, White and Barrett (S/LB at 6'2" 225#'s)

You know BB loves those versatile special teams players.

I agree that some of those players (Brace, Deaderick and Love that are on PUP may remain there until the 7th week of the season.

I just hope that we are not signing all these vets because we have serious injuries.

We're definitely going to carry more than 10 DL. I also don't see us abandoning the 3-4.

I think we'll carry six or seven 34 DL/43 DTs, plus four to five 34 OLB/43 DE, depending on whoever the last guy to make the team in one of those areas is.

I'm going to list Ellis as an interior DL, his primary position, although he can play anywhere.

Interior DL:
Wilfork
Haynesworth
Ellis
Wright
Brace
Love
Deaderick

Exterior DL/3-4 OLB:
Cunningham
Ninkovich
Moore
A. Carter
Anderson

That's 12 DL. Some will come out and say there's no way this will happen, but I think Bill is doing things differently this year, and he's putting a huge emphasis on the line of scrimmage for this defense. Could see one of Brace, Love or Deaderick not making it, which would cut it down to 11. The other interior guys are locks. Everyone hates Ninko, but he has a diverse skillset and fits perfectly on the team as a backup/spot starter.

Remember, we also get 54 players this year, and injuries on the defensive line can be especially hard to overcome. I think we need more depth here than any other position on the roster, due to its importance and higher rate of injury.

Also see them trying to slip M. Carter onto the practice squad, as I think he has potential to be a good player in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye