PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're basically red-shirting 6 players

patsfaninpa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
This will factor into the needs for next springs draft. I don't expect to see much of the 3 DL; Bequette, Fortson and Francis. If any of them get nicked, they will be on IR quicker than a Red Sox player reaches for a beer during/after the game. Alfonso Dennard is in that group too. Could develop into a nice cb to go with our top 3; McCourty, Dowling and Arrington. Shouldn't be a need draft day. Same with DL if guys like Deaderick and Cunningham are playhing well. In addition to the starters. And, the red-shirts. Depending on how they are developing in practice.

On offense, Jeff Demps gets a year to learn the playbook. I think he really pushes for Woodhead's spot next year. Jake Ballard will be the 3RD TE. We don't have some late picks. But, this depth eases some of those concerns.

A couple of practice squad players who might be able to help on the 53 are Tarpinian and Silvestro. Nice develpmental prospect at te in Silvestro. I'm guessing Tarp gets activated when/if we put one of the DL on IR.

I know. I just jinxed us. We'll have 8 guys get hurt next week.

I see next springs needs as stockpiling the offense. A couple of OL and a WR. I know a WR. Quit laughing. And, a 4-3 olb. Would have loved to get Levonte David if we're a 4-3 team. And, it looks like we are. A fast 4-3 olb who can play on 3rd down and in space.

At least one OT - as Vollmer's replacement or Swing Tackle - and one OG - as Mankins' or
Connolly's (another concussion because of Bill's repeatedly stupid decision to use him at FB)
replacement - is an absolute must next year.
And as you mentioned, is it really to much to ask for a young WR w/ some size who can learn
this dam offense?

On defense, the position with the least depth is LB. We need to rid ourselves of the putridity of
Rivera & White, and draft someone with actual talent.

is it really to much to ask for a young WR w/ some size who can learn this dam offense?

I'm pretty sure there's a 6'1" 210 kid with great hands and decent versatility who caught 285 passes for 4,345 yards in college who can be had for just a 7th circa 2015. ;)

But more broadly, here's my ideal positional yield from the 2013 draft at this point:

DT
OT
C
and 2 day-3 WRs.

It appears to be impossible to predict how a WR will do with the Patriots until he actually takes the practice field with Brady. That being the case, quantity over quality makes sense to me.

At least one OT - as Vollmer's replacement or Swing Tackle - and one OG - as Mankins' or
Connolly's (another concussion because of Bill's repeatedly stupid decision to use him at FB)
replacement - is an absolute must next year.

Or we can just draft Barrett Jones of Alabama who has played all three positions in college and was ridiculously dominant in the game against Michigan.

Or we can just draft Barrett Jones of Alabama who has played all three positions in college and was ridiculously dominant in the game against Michigan.

Not winning the SB we can't unless BB trades up three times consecutively in the first round.....that can't be possible can it....?

Centers tend to drop. I know he played other positions. But, I think he's a c/g in the NFL. Could slip to our pick. Won't look as good in shorts at the Combine as others. But, just put the film on. I'd take him right now. Without even knowing where our pick is.

Is it my weak recollection or have I read something substantive about the fact that BB likes players with good NFL bloodlines? If so, how about Jake Matthews at Texas A&M? He's seen as a RT candidate which means he probably won't go until the end of round one at the earliest, he has those bloodlines, will be proving himself against some of the best pass rushers in CFB in the SEC this year and BB has shown a propensity to take starter OL types within the first two rounds of the draft.

Whether him or another, this looks to be a very strong OL draft this year, particularly if a number of juniors declare.

I'm pretty sure there's a 6'1" 210 kid with great hands and decent versatility who caught 285 passes for 4,345 yards in college who can be had for just a 7th circa 2015. ;)

Yeah, sure, that'd be swell. :mad: Except it so happens that we've already traded that Pick away, for...uh...

Ohhhh...

I see what you did there. ;)

Kinda forgot about Salas, though I'm not sure how well he can perform at/outside the #s.
I was also a little bummed that he didn't (AFAIK) see the field yesterday, even late in the game.

I suppose you could add Markus Zusevics, OT to the list too...

I suppose you could add Markus Zusevics, OT to the list too...

True. I know some guys liked him as a 4th-5th round RT before his injury.

Hear, hear! It's September and I already have my 2013 draft binky in Barrett Jones. Could there be a more perfect Belichick OLman than a team guy who has starred at OG, LT and OC in consecutive years? Sign me up!

There are all sorts of studies showing that the repeated small impacts that offensive lineman get are about the worst thing long term that can happen to your brain.

There's a good chance hes less likely to hurt his brain while playing FB than as a OL.

Is it my weak recollection or have I read something substantive about the fact that BB likes players with good NFL bloodlines? If so, how about Jake Matthews at Texas A&M? He's seen as a RT candidate which means he probably won't go until the end of round one at the earliest, he has those bloodlines, will be proving himself against some of the best pass rushers in CFB in the SEC this year and BB has shown a propensity to take starter OL types within the first two rounds of the draft.

Whether him or another, this looks to be a very strong OL draft this year, particularly if a number of juniors declare.

I thought BOTH Texas A&M OT's had a great game Saturday. I think both will play on Sunday next season.

I am also a huge fan of Mathews, not sure he makes it to #32.

I think Jones makes it to #32 because interior O line guys tend to drop.

There are all sorts of studies showing that the repeated small impacts that offensive lineman get are about the worst thing long term that can happen to your brain.

There's a good chance hes less likely to hurt his brain while playing FB than as a OL.

Perhaps, but it seems more than a coincidence to me that both times he suffered concussions
came immed proceeding being used in the backfield.

Hear, hear! It's September and I already have my 2013 draft binky in Barrett Jones. Could there be a more perfect Belichick OLman than a team guy who has starred at OG, LT and OC in consecutive years? Sign me up!

Excellent choice, Sir. :cool:

I think that Brother Mayo's been onto this guy since last September ~ possibly earlier!!
jester.gif

He also told me about Dave DeCastro about 20 years before anyone else ever heard'f'm. :eek:

Jones is certainly a perfect "Pats-type player" in many respects. My only question about him is how high he will go relative to his ceiling. He is smart, technically sound, tough and versatile, but he is athletically a bit limited as to his upside, and he is likely to go 1st round.

Some other guys to think about, depending on how high the Pats look to take an OL:

- Virginia OT Morgan Moses. 6'7" 320# (down from about 350#), a "dancing bear" with nimble feet and a ton of power. Played mostly RT but also some RG and LT. If the Pats are concerned about Sebastian Vollmer's health and/or move on after this year, Moses could be a stud replacement at RT with some positional versatility. He's a junior, but is reportedly already talking to agents per Tony Pauline.

- Arkansas C Travis Swanson. 6'4" 305#. Will probably stay in school until next year, and will be the topped rated OC for 2014. Big, strong, tough, smart.

- Oklahoma OC/OG Gabe Ikard. 6'4" 295#. A bit undersized, but one of the smartest linemen around and extremely versatile. Great Pats-type intangibles.

- Glenville OT/OG Mark Jakcson. 6'5" 325#. A transfer from Illinois, was a nationally recruited OC pospect out of high school. Has very nimble feet and a lot of power. Could play RT, OG, or possible OC.

Jones is certainly a perfect "Pats-type player" in many respects. My only question about him is how high he will go relative to his ceiling. He is smart, technically sound, tough and versatile, but he is athletically a bit limited as to his upside, and he is likely to go 1st round.

Some other guys to think about, depending on how high the Pats look to take an OL:

- Virginia OT Morgan Moses. 6'7" 320# (down from about 350#), a "dancing bear" with nimble feet and a ton of power. Played mostly RT but also some RG and LT. If the Pats are concerned about Sebastian Vollmer's health and/or move on after this year, Moses could be a stud replacement at RT with some positional versatility. He's a junior, but is reportedly already talking to agents per Tony Pauline.

- Arkansas C Travis Swanson. 6'4" 305#. Will probably stay in school until next year, and will be the topped rated OC for 2014. Big, strong, tough, smart.

- Oklahoma OC/OG Gabe Ikard. 6'4" 295#. A bit undersized, but one of the smartest linemen around and extremely versatile. Great Pats-type intangibles.

- Glenville OT/OG Mark Jakcson. 6'5" 325#. A transfer from Illinois, was a nationally recruited OC pospect out of high school. Has very nimble feet and a lot of power. Could play RT, OG, or possible OC.

This might seem a bit crazy but do you know of any TEs that could be good late round tackle conversions or even a very athletic but undersized D-linemen that could be converted to the interior O-line?

My understanding is the Pats have specific athletic requirements for their O/Line, good short shuttles and 3-cone if memory serves. If that's the case, we should only be looking at linemen with athletic feet I'd suggest; Cordy Glenn/Kelechi Osemele types need not apply. This is also why I'm not convinced by Barrett Jones as a Pat because almost every report I read on him mentions that his one downside is a lack of athleticism.

One more thing on Jake Matthews who I mentioned earlier - he's also the long snapper for TAMU. Considering that Nate Solder served an apprenticeship as a blocking TE his first season, should the Pats require the same of Matthews, having that extra string to his bow would save a roster spot for a season.

Video of one of my early favourite linemen, Dallas Thomas of Tennessee. He's #71 playing primarily LG but also some LT. He played LT last year but has moved inside this because Tenn. have a very highly promising soph. LT that they're giving game time to.

Dallas Thomas vs NC State 2012 - YouTube

What I like about him: Once he blocks you, you stay blocked. In pass protection particularly, when he doesn't have someone immediately to block, his head is on a constant swivel looking for the biggest threat that needs blocking and he looks comfortable getting to the next level.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back