PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Well-written Ron Ninkovich article on Grantland

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobias funke

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Rob Ninkovich and Patriots-Texans - Grantland

When New England drafted Dont'a Hightower this year, Ninkovich swung over to defensive end. The play he made Sunday, the play that locked the game in the Patriots' favor, was a defensive end making a linebacker's play. It was a workman making a craftsman's play.

the ongoing Ray Lewis–Don't-Mention-The-Inconveniently-Dead-Guys Farewell Tour Of The Americas

Had to quote.

Last edited:
Good read. Nink has developed into one of the better all-around linemen in the game. He's really worked to develop his game. Great Patriot.

I also agree with his analysis of the game - it was a nice, workmanlike but somewhat sloppy rout, leaving plenty to be desired. One sided, but not too dominant. Not the emotional slugfest of the Denver-Baltimore game, the roller-coaster of the Seattle-Atlanta game, or the incredible high of Colin Kaepernick's game for the ages against Green Bay. I didn't want those kind of games, personally. I wanted this kind of game - nice and sloppy, not to close, not too perfect, plenty of room to get better, but still pretty convincing. Perfet, except for the injury to Gronk.

Nink is one dude on this roster I definitely want to see get a ring.

Last edited:
good article but too wordy.

Ninko is STILL a vastly underrated player, even by his own fans. For years the Pats fans have compared every OLB to Mike Vrabel, and hoping someone would eventually measure up. Well the fact is that Rob Ninkovich HAS measured up. Statistically Mike Vrabel had only one year better than the one Ninko has turned in this year, and several that weren't as good. More importantly Rob has had the knack of doing his best work at the most critical times.

I mean, think about what you were thinking 4 years ago when you heard that the Pats had just signed Rob Ninkovitch to the 80 man roster. I mean, this was a guy who essentially was a failed long snapper and a 3 time loser in trying to stick on an NFL roster. This was a guy who managed 6 total tackles in his first 4 years in the NFL and when he came here in 2009, he hadn't had an NFL tackle since 2007, when he managed to get 2. If you say you weren't thinking "camp fodder",. then you are just flat out lying. Even Grid didn't see this one coming. ;)

Those are pretty humble beginnings for a guy who is easily one of the top 5 defensive players on this team with only Wilfolk, Mayo, McCourty, and Talib ranked as high (imho). BB has made a lot of very good FA moves over the years. Finding Rob Ninkovich is one of the better ones.

Last edited:
Ninko is STILL a vastly underrated player, even by his own fans. For years the Pats fans have compared every OLB to Mike Vrabel, and hoping someone would eventually measure up. Well the fact is that Rob Ninkovich HAS measured up. Statistically Mike Vrabel had only one year better than the one Ninko has turned in this year, and several that weren't as good. More importantly Rob has had the knack of doing his best work at the most critical times.

I mean, think about what you were thinking 4 years ago when you heard that the Pats had just signed Rob Ninkovitch to the 80 man roster. I mean, this was a guy who essentially was a failed long snapper and a 3 time loser in trying to stick on an NFL roster. This was a guy who managed 6 total tackles in his first 4 years in the NFL and when he came here in 2009, he hadn't had an NFL tackle since 2007, when he managed to get 2. If you say you weren't thinking "camp fodder",. then you are just flat out lying. Even Grid didn't see this one coming. ;)

Those are pretty humble beginnings for a guy who is easily one of the top 5 defensive players on this team with only Wilfolk, Mayo, McCourty, and Talib ranked as high (imho). BB has made a lot of very good FA moves over the years. Finding Rob Ninkovich is one of the better ones.

I agree completely. Honestly I remember him being the first guy I dropped in Madden whenever I would start a franchise that year. Not saying my Madden choices matter, just a reflection of my value of him as a Pat.

Im glad that I, and a lot of other fans were wrong and Belichick was right. I mean seriously just look that this play from last night. Amazing job by Ninko limiting the damage, which I feel was the key for the whole D last night.

The homer in me wants to ask... who really had the bigger game Ninkovich or Watt?

Last edited:

I mostly agree, although I'd put Spikes and maybe Chandler Jones ahead of him on the defensive player rankings. IMO Wilfork and Mayo are the top guys, McCourty and Spikes are right behind, and then Talib, Ninkovich and Jones are on the tier right behind them.

Last edited:
I agree completely. Honestly I remember him being the first guy I dropped in Madden whenever I would start a franchise that year. Not saying my Madden choices matter, just a reflection of my value of him as a Pat.

Im glad I, and a lot of other fans were wrong and Belichick was right. I mean seriously just look that this play from last night. Amazing job by Ninko limiting the damage, which I feel was the key for the whole D last night.

The homer in me wants to ask... who really had the bigger game Ninkovich or Watt?

It was later on that very same drive that he got his interception, too.

Also,

Brady's fourth-quarter touchdown pass to Vereen should be the only clip they need to run when he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Great article, excellent writing.

Vrabel was one of the most versatile players in the modern history of the game, and one of the most personable Patriots. Both those factors get in the way of apples-to-apples comparisons of their play at their primary position.

Really nice Piece. Thanks for sharing it with us. :cool:

I posted pretty much the same thing after last year. It's insane how under the radar he is. This guy is going to be a cornerstone of this defense for the next 5-7 years. He hasn't quite lived up to Vrabel at his best IMO, but he's almost there and he's getting better every year.

They both took over as starters at age 26, looking at them as their first three years as starters they are pretty comparable:

Vrabel: 45G, 17 sack, 5 INT, 18 PD, 4 FF, 128 tkl
Ninko: 48G, 18.5 sack, 4 INT, 8 PD, 7 FF, 113 tkl

Vrabel had a great wingspan for knocking down balls, Ninko will never knock down passes like Mike, who was one of the best in the league at it when he played. Ninko seems to have a better knack for getting the ball away from the ball carrier and being in the right place to pick it up.

Both of them are the type of good-not-great players that you need on your team to build a championship caliber defense.

That's a pretty strong statement. I love Ninkovich, Ken, but I would have a hard time ranking him ahead of Jones, Spikes and Hightower. And Dennard is an up and comer. Rather than ranking them, let's just say that I'm happy that he's emerged as another bona fide starting caliber player and clutch playmaker. There's no doubt that he was a great find.

BB is constantly turning over the bottom of the roster - I call the process "churning" - looking for new talent. Some guys move on quickly, others stick. A few step up into major roles. He's relentless at taking advantage of low-cost, low-risk opportunities to grab guys who could possibly help out. I'm sure he never imagined Nink evolving into this kind of player, but he gave him the opportunity, and Nink's talent and hard work and evolution did the rest. Think of all the low-risk opportunistic pick ups BB has made over the past 3-4 years: Ninkovich, Arrington, Woodhead, Ballard, Barrett, Hoomanawanui, McDonald. All guys picked up off the scrap heap from other teams due to roster crunches (or claimed off the waiver wire when guys were cut as a route to IR, as with Ballard and Barrett).

Rob Ninkovich and Julian Edelman are a pair of throwback Patriots. Those guys need RINGS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back