PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Well, THIS May Partly Explain the Lackluster Secondary Play This Year [Joel Collier]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Well, THIS May Partly Explain the Lackluster Secondary Play This Year [Joel Colli

Does this mean Belichick has finally watched tape of the game?

Re: Well, THIS May Partly Explain the Lackluster Secondary Play This Year [Joel Colli

Does this mean Belichick has finally watched tape of the game?
Maybe..maybe not...

Re: Well, THIS May Partly Explain the Lackluster Secondary Play This Year

Maybe he just got a better offer. Position coaches coach technique, they don't determine the scheme or personnel. We were playing the same drive the fans nuts soft zone with enormous cushions scheme in 2005 when Mangenius was the DC, although it was reported down the stretch that BB and he were butting heads over something and Bill appeared to take on a larger defensive presence down the stretch. Some wondered if that was partly why Eric decided to take that first HC job when it was offered. Of course Hawkins and Hobbs replaced the revolving door at safety and Starks down the stretch that year too...a year when we had a lot of issues at LB as I recall...

Maybe Collier did receive a better offer...but I doubt it.

It was a combination of lousy technique coaching, lousy scheming and lousy personnel acquisition that left us at 6-5 in '05. The last 5 games were much better, but look at whom we were playing. To be fair, though, I also contended at the time that had it not been for the turnovers/officiating, the donkeys would probably not have scored > 10 points in the PO loss.

Injuries, and the deterioration of Corey Dillon, of course also contributed greatly to the 6-5 start. I just don't see why BB wanted to hire someone with almost zero experience coaching defense, though I'm sure he learned something, if by no other means than osmosis, from his father.

Re: Well, THIS May Partly Explain the Lackluster Secondary Play This Year

From your keyboard to Bill's ears...

In that same thread I also questioned the qualification of Collier to be DBs Coach of a SB contender. The hire made little sense at the time. I'm glad to see BB admitting a mistake and hiring someone with NFL experience and from outside the organization, for once. Perhaps the trend of providing OJT to NFL coaching neophytes will slow down now.

Speaking of which, Good Luck to Nick Caserio as Director of Player Personnel, and to Bill O'Brien as WRs Coach (though hiring James Lofton would have been sweet). At least O'Brien has experience coaching (college) offense, though why would a coach seeking upward mobility go from Maryland to Duke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back