Welcome to PatsFans.com

Well stock market down another huge loss

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mcgraw_wv, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

We are now looking at ANOTHER 300 point loss, which wipes out anything gained yesterday... The market has lost roughly 2250 points in less than 5 months...

Gas is 110 a barrel.
    Gold just BROKE 1000 an oz.

The Federal government is just handing over cheap cash to mega corporations in order for them to make more money... ( Man wish I had that ability )

Bernake has no answers.

Federal Reserve has used every tool it has, it did nothing, overseas banks even helped out only to have those gains wiped out today on the Bear Sterns news today...

We don't own our own ports

We don't build our own Military equipment

Is there anything to be hopeful about our future as a country and economy?

2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For intelligent people..? Yes. For panicking, whining, "the sky is falling" alarmists..? Well, you'll have to decide for yourself.

3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +289 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

The results of the democrats raising taxes last night.

4. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

When do you warrant an "alarm"?

At what point do you being to worry? I mean it must be nice to live where no foreclosures are happening and there aren't any for sale or rent signs in your neck of the woods.

I mean serious, guide the misguided panicking people to when even you would worry.

And yes you may use the force...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Bush said the economy is fine, and I think we should all trust our president. Are you people telling me that Bush is lying to me? because if he is aginst us, is he with the terrorists? I'm confused....

ok...

bottom line......we are in a recession, those of you who don't understand that, will soon enough. The sky isn't fallling, the economy moves in waves...a lot like the temperature of the Earth. The BIG problem I see is that our nation has nothing to offer. No cutting edge industry like the tech sector back in the 90s. We'd better think REAL hard about how to create new jobs, and a new industry or the American Empire is doomed. I suggest creating a sort of Manhattan Project for GREEN jobs. We need to be the leaders in the next big energy source. Otherwise, we are going to keep making the saudis, and big oil rich.....and you can see just how well that is working for us.....

6. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

We actually technically aren't now. You need two quarters of negative growth for that. Last quarter, the economy, though very, very slightly. I agree that we might be headed to one, but we're technically not in one yet.

7. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It is our Patriotic Duty, and part of our Universal Values to empower a country to build a 5 slope, 3 football length SKI resort in a DESERT that averages 100 degrees in the afternoon.

8. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

stfarmy, don't believe the bs economic reports from the government.

go to youtube and google 'jim rogers'. this guy is the billionnaire investor who started the quantum fund with soros.

in multiple interviews over the past 5 days, he has flat out called out the american government on lying about the economy, which continues to fudge numbers to make it look like we are experiencing positive growth.

doesn't matter. those sheep who still buy into this government's bs, will be the ones holding all the turd when the mass media reports real news, at which point it will already be blatantly obvious

9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When the stock market drops 75% off it's peak, and when unemployment reaches 25% - both of which happened during the Great Depression. Until we get to that point, it's little more than a 75 year period of peaks and valleys.
    At what point would I worry..? If the market dropped 50% or unemployment reached 15%. Then I would worry we were experiencing a historically bad economy.
    There's a "For Sale" sign on my own front yard. How does your foot taste...?

10. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So your not going to sound the alarm until we are already in a GREAT depression?

I can see why your house may have a for sale sign on it...

11. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Maybe one day we can be so lucky to have CBS, NBC, and ABC news close up shops so the real reporters at Fox News can finally break through the clutter of the liberal media...

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

We're not in a recession, and couldn't be for another 5 months or so. No matter how many times people say the word, that's simply the fact.

We may eventually recede. Time will tell. Employment data over the next two quarters, namely in late spring/early summer, will be key.

13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You're using a ridiculously vague term... WTF does it even mean to "sound the alarm"...? If you clarify your own term, I can gladly clarify my answer. For example, I support the stimulus package we have heard so much about - but I don't consider that "sounding the alarm".

Intelligent people know that the economy goes up and the economy comes down. It's a fact of life that intelligent people prepare for in advance. Chicken little, panicky whining alarmist bratty b*tches think things are worse now than they've ever been and we're experiencing nothing short of the very end of days.

So which are you...? An intelligent person or a chicken-little alarmist whining bratty b*tch..?

14. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

anyone notice what the world especially oil countries have been investing in lately? how about US financials. do you think the guys with all the oil money don't know how to invest. would they be investing billions in our economic infrastructure if our economy is really crumbling? maybe they know that oil is running out and they are buying into their next profit source for the next hundred years. by the way, the approxiamate highest dow close in 1960 - 685; 1970 - 842; 1980 - 1000 1990 - 3000 2000 - 11723. yes we are in a slow down but the sky is certainly not falling. food for thought.

15. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I'm putting money in all the way down and plan to reap the benefit all the way up. If it takes 5 years, so be it.

2000-2002 the S&P 500 was down 9%, 11%, 22% consecutively. We got through that, we'll get through this. Stocks are on sale, that's the time to buy. They may go "on sale" even more, buy more, eventually you will reap the rewards.

Admittedly a perspective Obama presidency along with a Democrat controlled congress scares the bajeezus out of me and I wouldn't be surprised if the market stays down longer this time. But I'm still optimistic long term.

16. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The Dow is down 176 at 3:25 PM, EST, not 300. EDIT: Make that down 149 points, not 176. And still coming back up.

At any rate, you can thank our dear friends, Hugo Chavez and the other oil producing countries for keeping the price high by keeping oil off the market. They could be producing much more, but they like these high prices.

Also can thank the AlGore brigade for preventing oil and gas production in the ANWAR region; billions of gallons are there for the taking, all on U.S. soil, keeping the money inside the country, but no, the Democrats and other tree-huggers want us to think the world will end if WE produce oil. Guess the Russians, Arabians, Hugo Chavez, and Nigeria all produce "green" oil.

Sure.

//

17. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

ding! ding! ding! we have a winner! a fellow investor who understands the market cycle. nice to meet you. stay away from gold and energy unless you are buying puts for later next year.

18. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

This is not an overnight problem .
    This is the outcome of the last 8 crazy years with Bush as Chief.The guy is a national disaster , that s how he will be remembered for the next 100 years.

19. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Sounding the alarm would be taken measures to secure your future, be that buying gold, selling your stock, changing your spending habits, cut entertainment expenses, ect...

I personally went all in on Thornburg Mortgage, when there is blood int he streets, thats when you buy in.

I also plan on lending out all my disposable income through lending sites.

20. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

actually, you can blame bush for invading iraq which disrupted oil supply, forced china to compete with us for their oil, and causing opec to tighten up their cartel. also, our declining dollar (a direct result of printing more monopoly money these 7 yrs) directly correlates with higher oil prices

this administration tried to take over iraq to protect petrodollars, for american oil companies, and to break up opec's cartel, and it has backfired all over their smirking faces.