PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Well Peter King is right about one thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I think, grudgingly, this year indicates that Peter King is right that division winners shouldn't automatically get a seeding and home field advantage over the wild card teams.

If the Chargers win today, you'll have two teams with a combined regular season record of 17-15 hosting the championship games. I think the Chargers do win today, you'll see this changed next year -- same formula for deciding who is in playoffs, but seeding will be based on records.

Last edited:
Peter King remains nothing but an uneducated gossip HACK who is merely a barometer of the idiots in media and among the masses

who cares, keep it the way it is. this reminds me of like 5-10 yrs ago when the chiefs whined and wanted to change thr format.

If you're not going to change who gets in then you can't change seeding either.

Winning your division gives you superiority in terms of making the playoffs, but once you're in it it becomes irrelevant? Would just be illogical.

Just as playoff teams drafting before non-playoff teams already is.

I think, grudgingly, this year indicates that Peter King is right that division winners shouldn't automatically get a seeding and home field advantage over the wild card teams.

If the Chargers win today, you'll have two teams with a combined regular season record of 17-15 hosting the championship games. I think the Chargers do win today, you'll see this changed next year -- same formula for deciding who is in playoffs, but seeding will be based on records.

You do realize that in order to get this home field advantage, both the Cardinals and the Chargers will have to have won on the road against favored opponents, right?

Why? Sure you can. If you win your division, you're in, plus two wild card teams. Wild card teams still play the 2 division teams that didn't get the bye in the first round, but record determines venue. Venue for the second round is always set, so the only thing you're talking about is the championship game. It would affect 3 games maximum, and most years maybe 1.

You do realize that in order to get this home field advantage, both the Cardinals and the Chargers will have to have won on the road against favored opponents, right?

Yes, but you realize that the Eagles and the Ravens also will have gone on the road and beaten favored oponents too. In fact, they will have beaten BETTER opponents, since each of them will have beaten the ONE SEED on the road and also each had to win their opening round game on the road (while Arizona and San Diego got home games.) The Eagles and Ravens have stronger claims to hosting the championship game than either the Cardinals or the Chargers -- better record, better playoff performance. The only thing they don't have is that they had a great team in their division so they had to get in being a wild card.

One last thing -- seeding is also about fairness to the 1 and 2 seeds, who should have a chance to play a 5 or 6 seed that is truly the 5 or 6 seed by virtue of something real (like record) not solely by virtue of who else was in their division.

Peter King remains nothing but an uneducated gossip HACK who is merely a barometer of the idiots in media and among the masses

I am not a huge fan of Peter King, but are there any writers that some Pats fans like? It seems that any writer who writes something negative about the Pats at one time or another is a enemy and a hack.

Let's try to remember one thing here -- different divisions turn out to have schedules of different difficulties from year to year.

Greetings,

The only reason he said that was because his beloved Peyton Manning's Colts, which were 12-4, had to go on the road to play the 8-8 Chargers.

Shalom,
Celticboy04

It should stay the way it is. The Cardinals are hosting the NFCCG and they've earned that opportunity by winning their games, and the chips fell in their favor.

Yes, but you realize that the Eagles and the Ravens also will have gone on the road and beaten favored oponents too. In fact, they will have beaten BETTER opponents, since each of them will have beaten the ONE SEED on the road and also each had to win their opening round game on the road (while Arizona and San Diego got home games.) The Eagles and Ravens have stronger claims to hosting the championship game than either the Cardinals or the Chargers -- better record, better playoff performance. The only thing they don't have is that they had a great team in their division so they had to get in being a wild card.

Your argument still failed completely the moment the teams you're complaining about beat higher seeds on the road.

Leave it the way it is..you need SOME advantage of being the best team in a division..leave it like it is..

Sorry, I have no problem with the playoff system. There will be abnormalities like an 8-8 team hosting a 12-4 team, but that is way the cookie crumbles. The race for seeding makes the end of the year more interesting.

If you want to change something related to the playoffs, change the draft order. I think if you get into the playoffs, you should draft after teams that didn't even if they had a better record.

Last edited:
Ok, let me try it this way.

The Patriots next year are 15-1. The Jaguars and Colts are 14-2, but the Jags win the tie breaker on some absurd tie breaker like points allowed or something. The other two division winners are 8-8, including the Broncos.

Let's say the Colts (14-2) and the Broncos (8-8) advance out of the wild card round. The Patriot's "reward" for the one seed would be having to play the 14-2 Colts instead of the 8-8 Broncos. The Jags would get the Broncos.

Absurd. Same thing happened this year to a mucher lesser degree, but I think the hypothetical proves the point. And for those saying "winning the division should mean something" it still would. You get in the playoffs even if your record is not in the top 6 in your conference. That's plenty. To get a second bonus is unnecessary.

How about we simply leave the system as is?

Your argument still failed completely the moment the teams you're complaining about beat higher seeds on the road.

That is true of both teams in the NFC Championship game. I really don't get your point or how it negates my arguments. You have two teams left in the NFC. Philadelphia had a better record, played and beat harder teams in the playoffs, played in a harder division, and kicked the crap out of the Cardinals head to head.

No rational argument exists for why the Cardinals should be hosting this game. The only thing in their favor is the happenstance that they played in a division where the second best team was the 49ers and the Eagles played in a division with the Giants.

And, for the record, I'm an Arizona Cardinals season ticket holder who just, by amazing luck, fell into tickets for a championship game by virtue of having my tickets, so I'm the last person on earth who should be complaining about it. But fair is fair, and the current system is not. Whether an idiot like Peter King says it or not.

Winning your division gives you superiority in terms of making the playoffs, but once you're in it it becomes irrelevant? Would just be illogical.

Just as playoff teams drafting before non-playoff teams already is.

This is precisely right. Apparently, winning your division is meaningful. The Ravens didn't win their division. So they should stuff it, according to the NFL.

Leave it the way it is..you need SOME advantage of being the best team in a division..leave it like it is..

Even if your division has the Chiefs and Raiders in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes