PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Well, Light is at practice but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Well, Lite is at practice but....

When you are exposed to the influenza virus, your body makes antibodies to that particular strain, protecting you in the future from repeat exposure to that strain. Vaccines work the same way but the virus is inactive (ie. won't cause symptoms). Light could be exposed to a different strain and get sick again but this is highly unlikely.

Am I right when I say that people use the term "flu" loosely, referring to people who get a bug but don't actually have the real flu? I've always thought that if a player had the actual flu, it's a pretty big deal and despite the excellent care they may get, it's highly unlikely they would physically be able to play. I know this is probably your escape from work so I'll stop with the medical questions now:D

Please don't embarrass yourself by making dumb statments like that. Vaccines work by stimulating antibody production against a particular antigen (influenza, hepatitis, etc.). These antibodies PROTECT the patient against infection by the virus. Can we talk some football now?

I understand exactly what you are saying, doc. There is more to the story however.

We should probably drop this now because I am a big believer that most of western medicine is based on entirely wrong principles. You do this for a living and I get that, but I have numerous contacts in the medical field myself and you aren't going to sway my opinion on this.

Please don't embarrass yourself by making dumb statments like that. Vaccines work by stimulating antibody production against a particular antigen (influenza, hepatitis, etc.). These antibodies PROTECT the patient against infection by the virus. Can we talk some football now?

Well, arn't we all the dumb ones huh? Did you assume we all have a medical degree here? I see no need to talk down to another fan like you have because we are lay people.:mad:

Well, arn't we all the dumb ones huh? Did you assume we all have a medical degree here? I see no need to talk down to another fan like you have because we are lay people.:mad:

There is no need to attack him. What he said was a factually true statement. If he is a doctor like he says, he is just telling you what he has spent a lifetime learning.

I have no issues with what he said and I expected it. I just don't believe much of what western medicing preaches.

In a lot of ways, "getting sick" can be a sign of health. It means that the body is strong enough to fend off something that happens to be attacking it, or it eliminating excess waste from diet or other factors.

It is the same argument that I get into with family and friends about fevers. We as a culture are far too quick to take fever reducing medication. There is a reason that the body is heating up, it is the body's natural way of fighting infections. Not only does fever reducing medication fail to aid in the body's true cause, it actually inhibits the body's ability to fight for itself. Double wammy when you consider that the body now has to eliminate the medication.

I'm sure that fatigue after a long season is a huge factor here as well.
I'm begging you to stop. Where did you learn this B.S.?

Not trying to talk down to anyone. However, when someone makes a statement that is just wrong and tries to pretend that it is a fact (and that he knows what he is talking about), he needs to be checked. I know very little about the business world, so I don't go around making bold statements about the future of certain stocks. It's the same thing.

I'm begging you to stop. Where did you learn this B.S.?

I actually agree with him. I've also heard that getting a flu shot can weaken your immune system later in life. The relationship between pharmaceutical companies and Doctors means that there's a huge problem with overprescribing drugs for things that people don't need. We're alos one of only two countries in the entire world that allow for the advertising of prescription drugs, the other one being New Zealand. It's not BS, in my opinion. Case in point - the people in Okinawa are the healthiest in the world in part because they eat an entirely soy-based diet and do not use too many prescription drugs. They have the lowest rate of heart disease, diabetes and numerous other illnesses and have the longest life expectancy.

Last edited:

I actually agree with him. I've also heard that getting a flu shot can weaken your immune system later in life. The relationship between pharmaceutical companies and Doctors means that there's a huge problem with overprescribing drugs for things that people don't need. We're alos one of only two countries in the entire world that allow for the advertising of prescription drugs, the other one being New Zealand. It's not BS, in my opinion. Case in point - the people in Okinawa are the healthiest in the world in part because they eat an entirely soy-based diet and do not use too many prescription drugs. They have the lowest rate of heart disease, diabetes and numerous other illnesses and have the longest life expectancy.
Just because you agree with him, doesn't mean that either of you are right. The japanese population is healthier because of their diet. Therefore, they don't need medications. Some people try to treat their diseases with non-traditional medicine...until they get really sick and then they turn to traditional (Western) medicine. There is data to support accupuncture in certain instances but otherwise most of non-traditional medicine is crap. It's easy to say that a treatment works if you don't have to prove it (ie. non-tradional medicine). Some people are going to get better just from the placebo effect, which accounts for many of the non-traditional success stories.

Just because you agree with him, doesn't mean that either of you are right. The japanese population is healthier because of their diet. Therefore, they don't need medications. Some people try to treat their diseases with non-traditional medicine...until they get really sick and then they turn to traditional (Western) medicine. There is data to support accupuncture in certain instances but otherwise most of non-traditional medicine is crap. It's easy to say that a treatment works if you don't have to prove it (ie. non-tradional medicine). Some people are going to get better just from the placebo effect, which accounts for many of the non-traditional success stories.

I never said any of that. I never mentioned the non-western forms of healthcare, but what I did say is that I think we over-prescribe medicines in this country and just because you're a doctor doesn't make you right, I've heard many, many Doctors say the same thing.

Can we just say that some of us like flu shots and some of us don't? Personally, my family and I get a fly shot every year, we have never had the flu, and we're happy. But if people don't like them, I really can't blame them, because I have NEVER had the flu, and have only been getting the shot for the last 10 years.

So, what do you guys think we're looking at for a final score? I think another 38-14 type game is in order.

This is going on and I should probably step away, but I'll dive in anyway.

As I said, I have numerous contacts in the medical field, some traditional, some non-traditional. I can say unequivically that I know many people who were on their death beds with cancer or other diseases that chemo type treatments had reached their concluson of usefullness only to have the their doctors be completely amazed when they were treated by one of the non-traditional methods and the disease disappeared entirely.

This isn't some evangelical crap, this is real stuff. I know some of these people personally and I trust my friends when they describe the bounty of other examples.

I will give you one instance that I think typifies what I am saying. My friend and I were talking about this as we often do and he described how "restless leg syndrome" was starting to become more prevalent. As a doctor, I'm sure that you are aware of this and you know that it is typically treated with medication. Further along, this friend informed me that he has treated dozens of these and every single time it was either excess calcium or {something I can't remember} in the body and within two months the patient was completely cured.

Western medicine is wonderful if invasive surgery is needed. If you smash your leg up in a car accident or you need a C-section or the like, they are the best in the world. But you can be sure that the vast majority of medication prescirbed are done so needlessly. More often then not, they treat the symptom but not the larger cause.

I don't expect you to agree with me, as I said before. Your years of training has led you to bleieve in your preferred method. But my opinion will not change and I know who would I would contact if I ever ran into serious health issues.

This is going on and I should probably step away, but I'll dive in anyway.

As I said, I have numerous contacts in the medical field, some traditional, some non-traditional. I can say unequivically that I know many people who were on their death beds with cancer or other diseases that chemo type treatments had reached their concluson of usefullness only to have the their doctors be completely amazed when they were treated by one of the non-traditional methods and the disease disappeared entirely.

This isn't some evangelical crap, this is real stuff. I know some of these people personally and I trust my friends when they describe the bounty of other examples.

I will give you one instance that I think typifies what I am saying. My friend and I were talking about this as we often do and he described how "restless leg syndrome" was starting to become more prevalent. As a doctor, I'm sure that you are aware of this and you know that it is typically treated with medication. Further along, this friend informed me that he has treated dozens of these and every single time it was either excess calcium or {something I can't remember} in the body and within two months the patient was completely cured.

Western medicine is wonderful if invasive surgery is needed. If you smash your leg up in a car accident or you need a C-section or the like, they are the best in the world. But you can be sure that the vast majority of medication prescirbed are done so needlessly. More often then not, they treat the symptom but not the larger cause.

I don't expect you to agree with me, as I said before. Your years of training has led you to bleieve in your preferred method. But my opinion will not change and I know who would I would contact if I ever ran into serious health issues.

No reason to stop talking about this. This is a football formu so anyone who wasnts to bring this back to football or not read this can do so, but I don't see why everyone's so afraid of a discussion like this. Anyway, I think one of the worst trends is the ADD "epidemic" and the prescribing of adderal (sp?) etc. to children who are supposed to be rambunctious. Psychological problems in children are also being treated with medicines that are intended for fully developed adult minds. "Restless leg syndrome" is a great example also of how Pharmaceutical companies are inventing some of these illnesses and then pushing chemical remedies on the public.

No team has any excuse for any player who gets the flu.

What if you got a shot for the wrong type? It's not like it's totally predictable. You've based your assumptions on the wrong data. Flu shots target certain strains, specific strains, and have zero effect on other strains.

In fact, you can get sick from a flu shot. The preservative is often (sp) Thimerosol, a rank poison which defeats the immune systems of some people.

What if you got a shot for the wrong type? It's not like it's totally predictable. You've based your assumptions on the wrong data. Flu shots target certain strains, specific strains, and have zero effect on other strains.

In fact, you can get sick from a flu shot. The preservative is often (sp) Thimerosol, a rank poison which defeats the immune systems of some people.

Don't be coy. Thimerosal is commonly referred to as mercury, one of the most poisonous substances on earth.

Other substances found in vaccines far more than you would think include:

* Formaldehyde
* Latex Rubber
* Ammonium Sulfate
* Aluminum

Last edited:

Why wouldn't every team have their players receive flu shots? Seriously, I don't understand this. No team has any excuse for any player who gets the flu.

In this day & age, there is no reason for any NFL player to miss a single game or practice due to the flu.

I'm not saying Rodney has it, but wouldn't that be stupid if he did?

How do you know they didn't get shots? How can you even be sure that they have the flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back