PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Well, Light is at practice but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Well, Lite is at practice but....

Flu shots do next to nothing.

You're right, especially if you've already been exposed to the flu. Then they're useless. I bet these guys are around a lot of people day to day and get exposed to all kinds of junk.

Tommy, go to NY right now. Snuggle up with Giselle for a while and come back the day of the game!

It think Giselle is his good luck charm anyways, is it a coincidence that once he hooked up with her he has been on another planet?

You're right, especially if you've already been exposed to the flu. Then they're useless.

That's exactly what flu shots do. They expose you to the virus, granted it's supposed to be killed virus. But sometimes they lead to exposure because not all of the virus is killed when injected.

Who says they don't ? Flu shots are only effective for a quarter or so of flu strains, it helps your odds and nothing more. It's not a flu cure all.

And that doesn't even factor in that what everyone calls "the flu" in most cases is not the flu.

Soooo, what your saying is LIGHTS OUT! (sorry, could't help it):D

Flu shots do not prevent the flu.

They only prevent 20% of flu strains.

This is why many doctors and hospital staff I know don't bother with flu shots at all.

An unfortunate part of life.

If you're a healthy person, it takes a lot of contact with someone to pick it up. Football players of course...
Wrong. Do you work at a hospital? Every year at the beginning of flu season hospitals stongly encourage all employees and patients to get flu shots. There is no way to protect against every strain of the virus. The vaccine is highly effective against the most common strains of influenza. If you have a different strain, you're out of luck. If you've ever had the flu, you know the difference between that and a common cold. It's not even close. If Light really had the flu, he'd miss more than one practice.

If Light really had the flu, he'd miss more than one practice.
If you or I had the flu, yes. A football player, probably not. The team did play an entire game last year when half the guys had the flu.

If you had a 103* temp and needed IVs to get fluids, it is unlikely you would get out of bed, but that's what Brady did. NOt only got out of bed, but played a whole game, and did extremely well. No one even knew he was sick until after the game

Let's not confuse what would sideline you with what would sideline a profession athlete.

Wrong. Do you work at a hospital? Every year at the beginning of flu season hospitals stongly encourage all employees and patients to get flu shots.
Ummm, he didn't say hospitals don't encourage staff to get shots, he said doctors and nurses generally don't bother with them. Why don't doctors and nurses get them? Because they know they don't do a whole lot.

Last edited:

Wrong. Do you work at a hospital? Every year at the beginning of flu season hospitals stongly encourage all employees and patients to get flu shots. There is no way to protect against every strain of the virus. The vaccine is highly effective against the most common strains of influenza. If you have a different strain, you're out of luck. If you've ever had the flu, you know the difference between that and a common cold. It's not even close. If Light really had the flu, he'd miss more than one practice.

Right about the flu.
Best way to avoid flu is to wash hands before and after most everything, especially handshakes. Don't share food, etc. Keep hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth.

To add to that: Even if you get the shot, you are still subject to having flu-like symtoms that can last for a week or so. Catch 22 so to speak.

They prevent the flu, don't they?

They are about as effective as the Prevent Defense, I think... noone says anything when they work (usually) but everyone notices when they fail.

Who says they don't ? Flu shots are only effective for a quarter or so of flu strains, it helps your odds and nothing more. It's not a flu cure all.

Exactly, it's not like the team has suddenly come down with the mumps! We seem to get this every year -- fans blaming the team for not preventing the "easily preventable" flu. It just doesn't work that way. Heck, we don't even know whether it really IS influenza they're dealing with, vs some vague "stomache flu," etc. Regardless, I feel confident that the most obsessively well-prepared organization in football has done what it can to keep the players healthy.

They prevent the flu, don't they?

They help the body internalize the flu and not show outward symptoms. THey actually "prevent" very little.

If you or I had the flu, yes. A football player, probably not. The team did play an entire game last year when half the guys had the flu.

If you had a 103* temp and needed IVs to get fluids, it is unlikely you would get out of bed, but that's what Brady did. NOt only got out of bed, but played a whole game, and did extremely well. No one even knew he was sick until after the game

Let's not confuse what would sideline you with what would sideline a profession athlete.

Ummm, he didn't say hospitals don't encourage staff to get shots, he said doctors and nurses generally don't bother with them. Why don't doctors and nurses get them? Because they know they don't do a whole lot.
I am a physician. I got my flu shot this year. So did every doctor I know in the hospital, so stop talking out of your ass. Like the ACL debate, all of the faux medical experts on this board should stick to football. Would BB ask a player with the flu to play? Yes. Practice? Nope.

I am a physician. I got my flu shot this year. So did every doctor I know in the hospital, so stop talking out of your ass. Like the ACL debate, all of the faux medical experts on this board should stick to football. Would BB ask a player with the flu to play? Yes. Practice? Nope.

question for you Doc: It was always my understanding that when the media etc. talks about players having the flu, they don't actually have the real flu but a bug with "flu-like symptoms" which don't escalate like initial flu symptoms do. I also thought that the real flu is so severe that it would prohibit a player from being able to play with it. People tend to throw around the term "flu" loosely when they don't actually mean they literally have influenza A or B, but just another winter bug. This was also compounded for me by the fact that someone from the Boston media was on ESPN today and said "Light already had the flu bug earlier this season, so he knows how to deal with it." Can you get it twice in that short a period of time or does he really mean "Light was sick earlier and now has come down with another similar bug?"

Why does this happen every year to the Pats? I'm not the physical specimen that most football players are and I rarely get sick.

Do they need to have a class about hygene or something...maybe fumigate the locker room after games? A vitamin C regimen?

They help the body internalize the flu and not show outward symptoms. THey actually "prevent" very little.
Please don't embarrass yourself by making dumb statments like that. Vaccines work by stimulating antibody production against a particular antigen (influenza, hepatitis, etc.). These antibodies PROTECT the patient against infection by the virus. Can we talk some football now?

question for you Doc: It was always my understanding that when the media etc. talks about players having the flu, they don't actually have the real flu but a bug with "flu-like symptoms" which don't escalate like initial flu symptoms do. I also thought that the real flu is so severe that it would prohibit a player from being able to play with it. People tend to throw around the term "flu" loosely when they don't actually mean they literally have influenza A or B, but just another winter bug. This was also compounded for me by the fact that someone from the Boston media was on ESPN today and said "Light already had the flu bug earlier this season, so he knows how to deal with it." Can you get it twice in that short a period of time or does he really mean "Light was sick earlier and now has come down with another similar bug?"
When you are exposed to the influenza virus, your body makes antibodies to that particular strain, protecting you in the future from repeat exposure to that strain. Vaccines work the same way but the virus is inactive (ie. won't cause symptoms). Light could be exposed to a different strain and get sick again but this is highly unlikely.

Why does this happen every year to the Pats? I'm not the physical specimen that most football players are and I rarely get sick.

Do they need to have a class about hygene or something...maybe fumigate the locker room after games? A vitamin C regimen?

In a lot of ways, "getting sick" can be a sign of health. It means that the body is strong enough to fend off something that happens to be attacking it, or it eliminating excess waste from diet or other factors.

It is the same argument that I get into with family and friends about fevers. We as a culture are far too quick to take fever reducing medication. There is a reason that the body is heating up, it is the body's natural way of fighting infections. Not only does fever reducing medication fail to aid in the body's true cause, it actually inhibits the body's ability to fight for itself. Double wammy when you consider that the body now has to eliminate the medication.

I'm sure that fatigue after a long season is a huge factor here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back