Welcome to PatsFans.com

Well, it's official.... ACLU is representing al-Qaeda

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Jun 1, 2007.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Remember folks, liberals love America..!! Nothing wrong with this picture here..!! Nope..!!

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2007/ss_terror_06_01.asp

Al Qaida suspects sue Boeing, with ACLU's help

WASHINGTON — Boeing has been sued by suspected Al Qaida operatives transported by the CIA to Arab countries for interrogation and torture.

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Good for them, makes me proud to be a member. As far as I know they're "suspects". By Qui Gon's "logic", if the FBI just took these people out back and shot them, instead of putting them on trial, and someone complained, they'd be un-American. He should move to Iran or Pakistan or some other country with a system of "summary judgement", in America we follow some due process.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 3 / -10

Osama must get a laugh out of that one.

If the Muslim Terrorists should win the war the ACLU lawyers will be the first in line to have their Heads Chopped Off, can any of you imagine Al Queda allowing an outfit the ACLU to exist in their "Bloody Horror World".

Imagine an ACLU lawyer telling a Muslim Terrorist to let his wife ride in the front seat :singing:

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

I'm not a fan of the ACLU, but I'm also not a supporter of Guantanamo, or what it represents. Holding people indefinately and without some form of due process doesn't sit well with me. I know it's not an easy situation for people on either side of the argument, as simply releasing someone you suspect of wanting to murder innocent people is unfathomable to some, while incarcerating an individual who very well could be innocent is unaccpetable to others. I lean more to the side of the French General in Last of the Mohicans. Anyone remember what he told Magua the night before the British vacated their Fort?

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 22 / -19

This is the kind of issue why I don't belong to the ACLU. While I respect the ACLU's consistency with all sorts of groups, including Fred Phelps, Al Qaeda, and American Nazis, the rights of those groups are extraordinarily low on my list or priorities. I also feel the same way about prisoner's rights. While I certainly believe that prisoners are entitled to basic human rights, there are just too many groups that are more important to me. That said, I'm glad the ACLU is a strong organization because by representing the rights of the least desirable, they protect all of our rights.

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +443 / 11 / -14

It's called being a Prisoner of War. A number of the prisoners were captured /killed while returning to the GWOT trying to kill Americans.

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Would I be wrong to conclude by your words that you feel certain groups have, or deserve, more rights than others? I'm just asking.

8. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm sorry, but the Bush administration disagrees with you. They've refused to grant POW status to those captured as part of the War on Terror, being that POW status would entitle them to Geneva Convention protections.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

I understand what they allegedly all are. My issue with it is that this is not a coventional war, and there is no country, organization, or tribunal that is requesting their release, or representive of their being. There is no Germany, no Japan, no Vietnam, etc... Obvioulsy there are a number of these jokers who were on the field in Iraq/Afghanistan/etc. that were guilty of terrorism, or aggression against our country. My position is that these individual deserve some form of due process. Obvioulsy not the rights that American citizens enjoy in this country, but some for of predetermined process that enables them the ability to defend themselves against permanent incarceration against their will. I personally don't give a rats azz what the world thinks of Gunatanamo, as I don't care what the world thinks, I care about what is right for, and is, American. Which is why indiscriminate, permanent, and unlitigated incarceration is something I can't support. That is not good judgement, nor American. IMO.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Which I don't think these jokers deserve. They don't play by the Geneva rules in any way, shape or form. They do deserve some form of due process though.

11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I can say with absolute conviction that those dedication to the destruction and/or overthrowing of the United States government and United States Constitution should have absolutely no rights under that document.

A murderer should have rights under the law. Members of al-Qaeda should not.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

I absolutely agree. I just also feel that we should be able to pick any person that we don't like up, toss them in a cage, and hold them captive till they die.

14. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Agreed. POW status is for uniformed soldiers, not terrorists. Also, keep in mind that this isn't a constitutional claim, this is a claim under the Alien Tort Act. That means there's a law in place that allows aliens to sue for torture.

15. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Did you mean that you don't feel we should be able to...?

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Doh! :eek: Thanks for pointing that out Puj, I absolutely mean we should NOT be able too indiscriminately pick people up and lock them up for life. I think doing so would be wrong.

17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +443 / 11 / -14

Try reading the Geneva conventions they aren't covered.

18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

Should the Murrah Bombers, McVeigh and Nichols have rights?? Should Eric Rudolph have rights?? Last time I looked at it there were no exclusions in the Constitution, while I do not support anything this group has done, due process may show them the way we do it. What are we gonna do, keep them locked up until they die?? Or just execute them all. Someday they are gonna be released and either they will be looked at a criminals or martyrs.. I prefer the former. The Islamic movement does not need more martyrs to rally around against the US.

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 3 / -10

Our Smelly Enemy Will Use The Constitution To Destroy The Constitution

20. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I said it before and I'll say it again: Murderers should have rights under the US Constitution. Those dedicated to the destruction and overthrowing of the United States government should not.
    Then you should learn your history, because courts (and other horrible Presidents, you know, like Abraham Lincoln) have created many such "exclusions" in their actions relating to that very issue I mentioned.
    I can't respond to such a ridiculously vague, blanket statement or question. Let's just say I have no problem with the death penalty Timothy McVeigh, but if you want my opinion on other situations, they would have to be evaluated on a case by case basis.
    Oh, I am not so sure we need to worry about scum like McVeigh being released anytime soon...