PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Well I made it back to MA alive from the game today...some comments/thoughts from NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Well i made it back to MA alive from the game today..some comments/thoughts from

Hudlander,

I was not there but a few things to consider:

The cameras can (and often do) paint a deceiving picture. They'll find a fan for his expression after a score. And since the Jets scored more often than the Pats, there was little or no reason to find a group of Pats fans. Had the Pats won, I'm sure it would have been different.

In comparison to fans at an event in the Boston area, it has always been my experience there are more New Yorkers watching in MA than New Englanders watching in NY/NJ. I think the primary reason is that you find a much larger percentage of NY natives living in the Boston are than the other way around. I attribute this to the large number of colleges in the Boston area, and the number of New Yorkers who end up staying in the area after they get out of school too. Obviously Bostonians move to New York too, but not as many in either whole numbers or as a percentage of the population.

As for fanbase and market share, it is still New York. It is still a much, much larger population than Boston. One-fourth of a 15-pound pie is more than than three-fourths of a 4-pound pie.

Regarding Pittsburgh, they dispersed when the steel mills shut down. At the same time the team hit their glory years, so the fans became and retained their loyalty, and passed it down to their kids. It has nothing to do with them traveling well; it's because their fans left the area and moved elsewhere. Passionately following the Steelers is their link to their roots and the homes they left behind.

One last thing to consider is that regardless of whether or not is true, is that there is a perception that it may not be safe for an opposing fan in the Meadowlands. Part of that comes from incidents with both Jets and Giants fans at the other stadium. I'm not saying it is or is not, but perception will influence people's decisions. You mentioned the three other sports, but going to those games is not the same as going to an NFL game, especially for opposing fans. Venturing into a rival's stadium with your out of town visiting team jersey for an NFL game is not the same as doing so for a baseball game.

Nah..I disagree with you.
There are more MA's in the NY area than vice virsca.

True, many NYers go to college in Boston, that's it.
Boston is not a transplant area like DC, nor is the financial capital that NY is.
So it is much more common to have people, grown ups, from MA relocating to the NY area for jobs, than vice verca.

The percent of Boston's population is more homogenous and Boston market based than NY, even with the colleges, and let me remind you college kids are in MA short term and don't have the $$$$$ to get into games like relocating adults would.

Also, when the Red Sox are in NY, it just seems like they have a 20% of the crowd, but it never seems like the Pats can get that in NY.
Which is weird because the Steelers/Dolphins/Eagles/and Cowboys ALL bring out large amounts to the Meadowlands.
I don't get why the Pats don't bring a high amount (20%) or more.

Re: Well I made it back to MA alive from the game today...some comments/thoughts from

I was also at the game, sitting in the 300s. (I live in NYC, so I go to this game every year).

A couple things, they built a great new stadium. They added a ton of suites, but still built the stadium up, instead of out unlike Gillette. So the stadium can get noisy, but to be honest the old Giants stadium was louder, last years game 2, the fans were much louder than this game. How the main gates, are directly open, and you see the 50 yard line when you enter is very cool. They have this wide concourses to move around, unlike Giants stadium where the concourses were thin, and made it impossible to move around the stadium.

There were a decent amount of Pats fans, not as many as during the middle of their run 2003-2008., but Pats fans always represent well at the meadowland s. Overall the jets fans were fine with the pats fans, mostly good natured stuff, every once in a while a Jets fans would get a little to out of hand when he saw a guy in a Pats shirt, but nothing crazy.

Now to the game.

You have a much more positive view of the stadium than NYers.
Many of them are blasting the place, specifically the exterior design, the caste system of seating, and poor access to the upper deck.

To me it seems home fans are never happy with their own stadium.

Could you give a ballpark estimate as to
1) How many/the% of Pats fans there?
2) What the normal amount is?
3) If the Pats bring more to NY than the Jets do to Gillette.

Thanks.

Who Went To The Pats Game In NY?

For those who went to the game, I had a couple of questions.
If you would not mind, could you answer?
Thanks!

1) Were there a lot of NE fans there?
-How many, what percent would you say they had?

2) Was this the normal amount the Pats bring?
-If not, what is?
-Was this more or less?

3) Historically, have the Pats always traveled well to NY OR
-Just since 2001
-Or ever since BB came in 1992?

4) Compared to when the Jets are in NE, how did this compare?
-Similar, more, or less?

5) On TV, from what I heard and saw, I was surprised. I would expect NE to have a ton of fans...anywhere from 15-25% of the crowd.
Why?
Simple
-NE is a major sports market, and the Jets are the closests venue
-Heck NE has fans in Fairfield County, CT which is 90 mins away
-When Boston teams come into New York (like the Red Sox) they usually have a large presence you can see and hear

Therefore, given that NE is in a major, nearby sports market that has history of traveling well, and their success of the past decade, I would think they would be well represented.

On TV though, it didn't seem that way. All I saw was mainly a few speckles of Pats blue in a sea of green. When the Pats scored a TD...some noise...but nothing loud.
See when the Cowboys or Eagles are playing the Giants, there are usually a lot of vocal fans for them.
I don't get why the Pats, playing the Jets who have a smaller fanbase and market share, wouldn't have the same problem.
Heck, when the Jets are home against the Steelers you hear a large vocal cheering...and PIT is much farther away than Boston or CT.

A. Was this the case?
B. If so...why?
-Is it just that Boston, in terms of football, just not the same traveling fanbase that they are in other sports (Red Sox/Bruins/Celtics) or like Philly and Dallas are for football?

Thanks.

Re: Who Went To The Pats Game In NY?

So you obnoxiously ran up your post count over the past 48 hours for this?
:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye