PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We'll be back next year and make another serious SB run

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll always be in the picture, but a team that lost the super bowl making it back the next year is against the odds by a vast amount.

Today, I weep for Brady because he deserved a fourth, and a hard-working guy like Welker who shuts up and plays his game doesn't deserve to be a goat.

The big losses and controversy since 2006 have made posting near impossible though I am a constant viewer of the messageboards and as many NFLers say "I have been all in".

The PATs have big issues and we are not playing to the way the NFL is sending the games:

1) The PATs built a team and a playing style on both offense and defense to play to the NFL regular season mentality. Basically they over reacted to the "rules emphasis" that the Colts and Polian jammed through the league. It shows up in the now extreme bend but don't break defense in personel and game planning.

2) The NFL is turning into the NBA, regular season track meet games with more open space on the field, less defensive pressure and more ticky tack penalties on the defenses to keep games more open.

3) Occasionally in the regular season the PATs play a team that is willing to chance the ticky tack calls and our current receiver set can't deal with on the line pressure and getting re-routed down the field.

4) Brady used to be more of game manager and was more effective at full season football, now he is more suited to the track meet regular season games, but with his surrounding personel the holding the ball looking too far down field and then forcing something in late gets us killed. Gronk is a beast but Brady forces a lot of late balls to him because all other options are gone. The Buffalo, Giants reg season and SB, last season Jets playoff loss the blue print is the same. To keep with the NFL-NBA analogy, Brady is Steve Nash and until he becomes more situationally aware we will not win another SB. Nash piled up the assists and the Suns had some big win seasons but when they get to the playoffs and face the more physical teams he can't function. Too many critical unforced errors.

Fixes:

A) Solid base on offense is there, upgrade wide receiver, we need a bigger more physical down field #1 receiver (not a Moss type, a Michael Irvin type). Maybe Brandon Lloyd, maybe through draft, who knows.

B) Sign Welker but only if reasonably done, money up 8-12 mil per year but no more than 2 or 3 years. He is not a #1 or #2 reciever. He is a #3 with diminishing skill set.

C) Let Branch and Ocho go.

D) Simplify receiver route pattern so that new players to system can learn it easier and gain Brady's/Belicheck's trust and get on the damn field. How many recievers come here through trades/FA/draft and never manke an impact? Don't want to basic an offensive scheme but it seems we could adjust down a notch and still excel. We have good offensive line, HOF QB, two great TEs, but need more contributions from WR.

E) Adjust defense personel/scheme to play effectively somewhere between the track meet regular season and the grind it out playoff style the NFL appears to want. Maybe Ras-I Dowling would have helped, but stop with the injury prone/project player drafting at skill positions on D. Get some edge speed rush and some physical depths at CB and safety.

Sorry for the long winded post but did not sleep much last night, tried to be a prescriptive as possible. It will be tough going into work today with all my coworkers snickering at me but "I am still all In"!

We'll always be in the picture, but a team that lost the super bowl making it back the next year is against the odds by a vast amount.

Today, I weep for Brady because he deserved a fourth, and a hard-working guy like Welker who shuts up and plays his game doesn't deserve to be a goat.

Nice guys finish last, while mouthy ****bags win another SB at our expense. The Patriot way was done in SB 38.

Nothing but gag jobs extradonaire since then. Its ok, I do realize we cannot win it every year, but the way they have lost is absolutely astounding.

2006 vs Broncos....Brady starts his downward PLAYOFF spiral with pick 6 !
2007 AFCCG.........loss to colts after being up 21-0. INT Brady on last drive
2008 SB 42
2009 NO PLAYOFF/BRADY INJURED
2010 Ravens........complete stinker by Brady
2011 Jets............complete stinker by Brady
2012 SB 46..........stinker decisions by Brady

That's 6 in a row folks, and I've not even added the AFCCG vs Ravens this year which was a pure luck win where Brady again played a stinker.

Yes, he is great in regular season, but post season his legacy is taking it on the chin last 6 years he has played. Blame it on him, blame it on BB for collecting bunch of retreads for WR's or no running game or on Defense

Bottomline from age 28-34, his prime years were essentially 180 opposite of his first 4 years. Somewhere along the way the hype machine made BB and him believe that all that is needed is Brady and a cast of retreads

Oh well, there's always next year, but at 35 QB #12 is living on borrowed time given the cruel nature of NFL

BB and Brady are running out of 'next years'. I don't care how put it, these past two years were critical and squandered. Brady will need a cane and hearing aids in couple years.

How old are you, 15?

So much has to go right just to make it to a Super Bowl.

The odds of Brady not getting hurt during the regular season are slim to none.

Brady gets all his yardage from YAC, The Patriots saw in 2010 that he was losing power and accuracy down-field. Brady still has a great football mind and can hit receivers, but his ability to hit the deep ball is starting to become a liability.

Even if the Patriots brought in a great deep threat WR, the question would be whether or not Brady could hit them reliably enough for defenses to grant deep safety coverage like they do on moss in 2007, if they didnt, and brady's passes werent accurate or powerful enough, it wouldent matter who you had going deep for you.

In my opinion, this team needs to become a running team next year, with Assets like Hernandez, Gronkowski, Vollmer and Soldor, as well as a good O-line there is no reason why the Patriots Couldn't be.

The big losses and controversy since 2006 have made posting near impossible though I am a constant viewer of the messageboards and as many NFLers say "I have been all in".

The PATs have big issues and we are not playing to the way the NFL is sending the games:

1) The PATs built a team and a playing style on both offense and defense to play to the NFL regular season mentality. Basically they over reacted to the "rules emphasis" that the Colts and Polian jammed through the league. It shows up in the now extreme bend but don't break defense in personel and game planning.

All teams have had to deal with it. Pats have chosen to stick with the scheme of bend but not break. That's on BB

2) The NFL is turning into the NBA, regular season track meet games with more open space on the field, less defensive pressure and more ticky tack penalties on the defenses to keep games more open.

Makes it interesting since NFL wants all teams to have a shot. NBA is a certified joke of a league. Nobody cares there. Last 20 yrs in NBA, four teams, Bulls, Lakers, Spurs, Rockets won 17 of the championships !

3) Occasionally in the regular season the PATs play a team that is willing to chance the ticky tack calls and our current receiver set can't deal with on the line pressure and getting re-routed down the field.

Regular season we mostly play 50% Garbage team and stats look good. Playoffs you are playing the best of the best. Last 6 yr playoff failures good examples

4) Brady used to be more of game manager and was more effective at full season football, now he is more suited to the track meet regular season games, but with his surrounding personel the holding the ball looking too far down field and then forcing something in late gets us killed. Gronk is a beast but Brady forces a lot of late balls to him because all other options are gone. The Buffalo, Giants reg season and SB, last season Jets playoff loss the blue print is the same. To keep with the NFL-NBA analogy, Brady is Steve Nash and until he becomes more situationally aware we will not win another SB. Nash piled up the assists and the Suns had some big win seasons but when they get to the playoffs and face the more physical teams he can't function. Too many critical unforced errors.

BB chose to make Brady the focal point and surround him with turnstyle WR and lousy drafting from 2005-2010. He could have chosen to strengthen the Defense by replensihing with a talent. He chose not to. He has lived and died with those decision. Perfect example is Giants - they ask Manning to play safe ball and focus their D line to make plays. In clutch Manning has delivered. Ofcourse luck also has come their way just like luck came to Pats from 2001-2004, but as they say you make your own luck

Fixes:

A) Solid base on offense is there, upgrade wide receiver, we need a bigger more physical down field #1 receiver (not a Moss type, a Michael Irvin type). Maybe Brandon Lloyd, maybe through draft, who knows.

Brandon Lloyd is not the answer. Outside of Welker and Moss no other FA, via trade, or drafted WR has been able to grasp this offense for some reason. Early career Branch and Given walked right in when Weis ran the show. Problem is now the O complexity. As such, only certain players can play in our system, while likes of Ocho fail. No guarantee Lloyd can grasp our system even if he played for Josh before. They need to big and physical receivers on the outside

B) Sign Welker but only if reasonably done, money up 8-12 mil per year but no more than 2 or 3 years. He is not a #1 or #2 reciever. He is a #3 with diminishing skill set.

He is 32 next season I think, paying him 8-12mill is nuts. Not happening

C) Let Branch and Ocho go.

Agree.

D) Simplify receiver route pattern so that new players to system can learn it easier and gain Brady's/Belicheck's trust and get on the damn field. How many recievers come here through trades/FA/draft and never manke an impact? Don't want to basic an offensive scheme but it seems we could adjust down a notch and still excel. We have good offensive line, HOF QB, two great TEs, but need more contributions from WR.

Revamp to entire WR core needed, including FO judging talent, coaching at WR position.

E) Adjust defense personel/scheme to play effectively somewhere between the track meet regular season and the grind it out playoff style the NFL appears to want. Maybe Ras-I Dowling would have helped, but stop with the injury prone/project player drafting at skill positions on D. Get some edge speed rush and some physical depths at CB and safety.

Here we go again with speed pass rush ! Not gonna happen. You'll see the same cast of characters, Vince and a bunch of nobody's

Sorry for the long winded post but did not sleep much last night, tried to be a prescriptive as possible. It will be tough going into work today with all my coworkers snickering at me but "I am still all In"!

There's next year as always. At least we made it to 5 SB's in 11 years, and won 3 ! Teams like Lions have NEVER made a SB, and not even WON a plyoff game since 1991, when Victor I-am Kiam owned the friggin Pats !!!

DonBlackmon55

Actually I agree with all of your replies to the points I made. Thanks. I think your answers foretell the future. I honestly don't see BB making the needed changes and we will see the team continue to decline. I was just trying to point to what I think are the root causes and some fixes. We can always hope the coaching staff and the ownership would be able to see things objectively, but their track record is so-so there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes