PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker's real flaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is your problem, I never said that.

I said we are 0-2 with him 3-0 without, therefore we can win with him, and he isn't the key to winning. Your line quoted above is just reaching badly to argue, I like Welker if you wanted to know, I also think he is replaceable, I never said the above quote.

You argued there was a correlation between not having success and having Welker on the team. If that's not implying they'd be better without him, I don't know what to tell you.

You argued there was a correlation between not having success and having Welker on the team. If that's not implying they'd be better without him, I don't know what to tell you.

NO, I found the 'threat' of Welker leaving the franchise funny considering we won all SBs without him. There is a correlation between the Brady numbers and success but that wasn't even on my mind, you are just getting defensive and reaching.

I just responded saying they would only be better if they used his moving to improve bigger flaws, I feel the so called Welker trade seekers have a valid point depending on the moves made, and the franchise wouldn't turn to CLE if he said **** off and left, deal with it, he's been here 6 years and I can't even defend the idea of losing him and winning?

Last edited:
Welker's "flaw" is that he had a bad game. That's it.

Welker's target area isn't super-small, as is evidenced by the fact that Matt Cassell was able to feast on it much as Brady does.

CannibalHolocaust.jpg

:D:D:D

NO, I found the 'threat' of Welker leaving the franchise funny considering we won all SBs without him. There is a correlation between the Brady numbers and success but that wasn't even on my mind, you are just getting defensive and reaching.

I just responded saying they would only be better if they used his moving to improve bigger flaws, I feel the so called Welker trade seekers have a valid point depending on the moves made, and the franchise wouldn't turn to CLE if he said **** off and left, deal with it, he's been here 6 years and I can't even defend the idea of losing him and winning?

You can defend the idea the Patriots could continue to win without Wes Welker, but when you start implying nothing changes if they lose him because he "choked" in the Superbowl, and the Patriots never had a 100+ catch receiver when they won titles, that's when your argument descends into crazyville. How does "nothing change" by losing a guy who's a lock to catch 100 balls for 1200 yards every year? Seriously. You also said if the Patriots win the Superbowl, it wouldn't be because of him. It most certainly would, at least in part. He's integral to what the Patriots do on offense, are you insane? Do you believe they'd be this productive offensively if Welker weren't here? Because if you don't, then he'd have at least something to do with any success they end up having.

You can defend the idea the Patriots could continue to win without Wes Welker, but when you start implying nothing changes if they lose him because he "choked" in the Superbowl, and the Patriots never had a 100+ catch receiver when they won titles, that's when your argument descends into crazyville. How does "nothing change" by losing a guy who's a lock to catch 100 balls for 1200 yards every year? Seriously. You also said if the Patriots win the Superbowl, it wouldn't be because of him. It most certainly would, at least in part. He's integral to what the Patriots do on offense, are you insane? Do you believe they'd be this productive offensively if Welker weren't here? Because if you don't, then he'd have at least something to do with any success they end up having.

Oh boy must be his biggest fan, its not that serious, he is a good receiver and nothing more, disagreement is fine but nothing is crazy about what I said. Things change and we adjust, big deal dude, we have lost better players you throw in Edelman and move on.

Last edited:
Oh boy must be his biggest fan, its not that serious, he is a good receiver and nothing more, disagreement is fine but nothing is crazy about what I said. Things change and we adjust, big deal dude, we have lost better players you throw in Edelman and move on.

He's the best slot receiver in the game. He's basically revolutionized the position, and there's nobody who comes close to his level of play at the position. I don't know what you have against Welker, and I don't care, but try to use your head when evaluating players. You've certainly not been doing that to this point in the thread.

I'm not his biggest fan as evidenced by the fact I've asserted here multiple times that I would play hardball with Welker and wouldn't be strong armed into a rich contract by a guy who's 31 and has taken 10 million big hits over the middle of the field. All I'm saying is that is ridiculous to discount the value Welker brings to this team and just say stuff like "nothing changes if he leaves" or, "you throw in Edelman and move on". You say we've lost better players, but my question would be, when? Which offensive player did we lose that was anywhere near as consistently productive as Welker has been? In my opinion he's not a 10 million dollar receiver, but he isn't chump change either.

Welker's "flaw" is that he had a bad game. That's it.

Now you're exaggerating in the other direction from the naysayers. Pair Welker with nothing but a Juggs machine spraying high passes, and he might not even be average among NFL receivers.

That doesn't keep him from being among the very best receivers in the game or from deserving his annual Pro Bowl nod. But it's a flaw even so.

But when you compared him to guys like Fitzgerald and Megatron, those receivers get the big bucks because they've proven they can be ridiculously productive with subpar QBs throwing them the football.

Matt Cassell says hi.

Last edited:
Now you're exaggerating in the other direction from the naysayers. Pair Welker with nothing but a Juggs machine spraying high passes, and he might not even be average among NFL receivers.

That doesn't keep him from being among the very best receivers in the game or from deserving his annual Pro Bowl nod. But it's a flaw even so.

I'm not exaggerating anything at all. I'm trying very hard not to come in swinging about one of the silliest threads in this site's history. This one is right up there with "Trade Brady". The guy's body type is precisely what's allowed him to be in position to own all the high-volume catches per year records. What you consider a flaw is nothing of the kind.

Making your claim is like saying "Bill Russell's flaw was that he was too tall to play point guard."

One important thing to remember...Mini Me received union scale wages while Dr. Evil had a max contract plus points and residuals. Are we clear now how this turns out. I said, are we clear Danny.
I'm paying by the pound and I'm subtracting facial hair from the weight total....that cagy little S.O.B.

Last edited:
I don't think Welker's always had trouble catching balls thrown outside of his body -- in fact, I seem to remember that being a strength of his, especially snagging balls thrown at knee level or lower.

What I've noticed is that it seems like his hands never recovered from his knee injury. Welker's catch% in his three pre-injury seasons w/ the Pats was 77%, 75%, 76%. Since his knee injury, it's been 69%, 71% and 69%.

Welkers only flaw is that he catches everything thrown to him and in the process gets absolutely hammered for it. He is our very own Energizer Bunny.
So far he has been able to get up and get back to the huddle for the next play. But I think the front office sees him as getting older and question how much longer he can last. Hopefully, after the season, he can sign for 2 more years, with a team option for a third. I don't want to see this team without him!

Welk has decent hand size and a grip like steel. That said a 5' 9" guy's arms don't reach out that far.

5'9? WTf

Hes MAYBE 5'8 straight out of bed. He wishes he was average at 5'9

Welker's real flaw is being too good a guy, too good a teammate, and wanting to play for the Patriots too much. He should have told them to pound sand and never signed that tag. There is no way they would be sitting where they are without him and maybe then some of the morons who want him gone would wake up to how much he means to this team. Brady gets it, it's a shame so many others never will.

Yeah, Pound sand and keep your 9.5 million dollars, I don't need it. :rolleyes:

That might be the dumbest thing I've read on here in a long time. He should be part of the plans for the next 2-3 year's but not 4. The guy is 32. 3 years 22-24 mil with 14-16 mil guaranteed. Which essentially becomes a 4 year deal 31-33 mil with 23-25 guaranteed as he played under the Tag this year. That is not a bad deal for either side.

And they offered him a two year deal worth 16 mil fully guaranteed and he rejected it. That is not blocking him from a payday as you put it in another post. He chose to instead play under the tag at 9.5 million and assume the future risk against injury and pocket more than 16 mil over two years. Odds are the Pats would be willing to do the 2 year 16 mil contract again this offseason, maybe not fully guaranteed for both years, but defintiley one year and part of the second.

So by playing under the tag he probably will receive 17.5 mil over two years fully guaranteed and 20+ mil over 3 years. I think Welker played it smart and NE reduced their risk. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Last edited:
welkers real flaw is his butterfingers.

Wait now, let me get this straight. You are saying that a short players real big flaw is that he can't reach far away? That couldn't be, could it?

I'm trying very hard not to come in swinging about one of the silliest threads in this site's history.

Now I'm confused. I start a thread praising Welker, and you say it's one of the silliest threads in the site's history?

Actually, I'm not confused. You'd rather be a jerk than actually pause for a moment to notice what you're actually reading.

Welker is a good player who plays in an offense and with a QB who make him look great. He understands this and Belichick and Brady also understand how perfect Welker fits in this system. But if we lose him, BB will adjust and our offense will still be as good as Brady is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back