PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker's real flaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't care less. It's couldn't care less. And I'm trying to give you some helpful advice. If you want to keep beating the dead horse, go right ahead.

Had I started any of these threads Jack you would have a point, however i am simply responding to the ********s who start one thread after another knocking him week after week. I have never seen any player ripped as consistently as Welker gets ripped in this forum, and I'm guessing the number of threads dedicated to just that purpose are closing in on 100 over the past few years. This is one of the greatest player's to ever suit up for this franchise and he deserves a hell of alot better. Much as i love the Patriots i am reaching the point where i almost hope he goes somewhere else so the moron Patriot fans see just how much that damages this franchise and any hope for more rings before Brady and Belichick hang them up.

Welker's real flaw is being too good a guy, too good a teammate, and wanting to play for the Patriots too much. He should have told them to pound sand and never signed that tag. There is no way they would be sitting where they are without him and maybe then some of the morons who want him gone would wake up to how much he means to this team. Brady gets it, it's a shame so many others never will.

SB win pct. in Brady's career.

w/o Wes: 100
w/ Wes: 0

Numbers don't lie, he is a good receiver playing with a legend. Bill would have let him go ASAP and never missed him, we all know this.

Your above post is a joke, we never won a SB with a 100+ catch receiver, so what changes by losing him? He choked last year and won't be the reason we win this year.

Last edited:
When Welker can get his hands turned down (pinkies together, thumbs out), he is outstanding...even if the ball is just off the turf, behind him or well in front of him. When he has to turn his hands up (thumbs together, pinkies out), he is much less effective.

This actually makes him ideally suited to team with Brady and not so much with most other QBs. On short routes, Brady throws a low ball, tight spin and excellent pace. Add the fact that Brady/Welker share a football brain and you get 100+ receptions every year.

While Welker would be successful with any team, he would be much less effective and efficient anywhere else. Considering his entire value is based on this efficiency (quantity over quality), I suspect he would prioritize staying with the Pats over breaking the bank. Unless the Pats are intent on moving on (which they might be if Edelman stays, Vereen continues to emerge, Hernandez can stay healthy, Demps lurking on the horizon and nice slot options in the draft), I would expect Welker to be around for a couple more years.

Numbers don't lie, he is a good receiver playing with a legend. Bill would have let him go ASAP and never missed him, we all know this.

Your above post is a joke, we never won a SB with a 100+ catch receiver, so what changes by losing him? He choked last year and won't be the reason we win this year.

Great point! The Patriots also never won a Superbowl with a TE that caught 10+ TD passes every year, so I don't know why they extended Gronkowski. Maybe they could cut him right before the playoffs so he doesn't affect them negatively in the postseason. I mean, he wasn't even a factor on our last Superbowl loss, so Bill would be wise to keep this choker off the roster when the going gets tough.

Great point! The Patriots also never won a Superbowl with a TE that caught 10+ TD passes every year, so I don't know why they extended Gronkowski. Maybe they could cut him right before the playoffs so he doesn't affect them negatively in the postseason. I mean, he wasn't even a factor on our last Superbowl loss, so Bill would be wise to keep this choker off the roster when the going gets tough.

Well if someone went off on how BB & Brady are screwed over losing Gronk I would argue something similar. We could have won without Gronk and Welker both if we executed better last Feb. Its a team sport.

If you think we can't win without Welker, what exactly is it based on? We lose some completions and yards, but average QB stats lead to titles all the time (See PIT and NYG 4 titles since our last), and Brady without Welker (or anyone really) is far from average.

Nice way to ignore the point and feed into an emotional fan's lack of logic. I can't fathom placing priority higher on a system receiver than the guys and management who saved this franchise.

Last edited:

You could play that game with lots of Brady's current teamates. And as Brady says we don't even get there without him.

Welker didn't choke last year. Only someone with no understanding of the game and just how hard it is to catch that pass would be stupid enough to say that.

BTW, Branch and Hernandez had bigger chokes in that game than Welker. Yet I don't see you saying jack about them.. Take the blinders off..

You know who else sucked? Ray Bourque, no rings in Boston.

Well if someone went off on how BB & Brady are screwed over losing Gronk I would argue something similar. We could have won without Gronk and Welker both if we executed better last Feb. Its a team sport.

If you think we can't win without Welker, what exactly is it based on? We lose some completions and yards, but average QB stats lead to titles all the time (See PIT and NYG 4 titles since our last), and Brady without Welker (or anyone really) is far from average.

Nice way to ignore the point and feed into an emotional fan's lack of logic. I can't fathom placing priority higher on a system receiver than the guys and management who saved this franchise.

Your initial argument was as illogical as anything I've read on this board. Wes Welker has been a tremendous player for the Patriots for the past 6 years. He had a bad drop in the Superbowl, and now all of a sudden not only can the Patriots thrive without him, they'd be better off if they were to let him go? I don't see any way you can argue this team would be better without Wes Welker. The fact that, when they won, they didn't have a player like him has absolutely nothing to do with the value he provides to this team. Yeah, when they won Superbowls they also had a defense and the ball usually bounced their way. You do realize that were it not for 2 of the most spectacular catches in Superbowl history we would've won 2 other trophies, right? They were incredibly close to winning both games, just like they could easily have lost a couple of the 3 they did win. That's just the way football is. To put those failures on Welker's shoulders is absurd, especially when considering he was arguably our best offensive player in the 2007 game.

Last edited:
Jerry rice was too slow, never should have been in the NFL

Welker's real flaw is being too good a guy, too good a teammate, and wanting to play for the Patriots too much. He should have told them to pound sand and never signed that tag. There is no way they would be sitting where they are without him and maybe then some of the morons who want him gone would wake up to how much he means to this team. Brady gets it, it's a shame so many others never will.

Enough already with the franchise tag is a bad thing. Welker is the highest paid guy on the team. If he cared about his teammates at all he would share some of the $9.5 million he's getting paid. Next year, when the Patriots tag him again, he'll make $12-plus million for one season. He's not facing a fiscal cliff, he's facing a fiscal slip n' slide. Wheeeee!

Enough already with the franchise tag is a bad thing. Welker is the highest paid guy on the team. If he cared about his teammates at all he would share some of the $9.5 million he's getting paid. Next year, when the Patriots tag him again, he'll make $12-plus million for one season. He's not facing a fiscal cliff, he's facing a fiscal slip n' slide. Wheeeee!

They blocked him from getting a market deal, and that is crap. Had they made any kind of honest offer i would never say a word about it but the deal they offered was a disgrace, that's a fact.

And tears have been spilt accordingly. Moving on ...

Dude. Give it a rest already.

The "illogical emotional fan" is you, not me. the only receiver to produce as Welker has in recent years is CJ, and Fitzgerald is in the ballpark, and they make 200 million between them. Welker is worth far more than 99% of the WR's in football and saying so is logical.

You understand the logic, or lack thereof, in this post is rather glaring?

They blocked him from getting a market deal, and that is crap. Had they made any kind of honest offer i would never say a word about it but the deal they offered was a disgrace, that's a fact.

The Franchise Tag is part of the market.
I have few tears for a guy who was "unfairly" forced to play football for Welker's salary.

What's he getting as a franchised player, 9.5 million? I highly doubt anyone would offer him more than that yearly on the open market. If you are any other NFL team, do you honestly have a lot of confidence that Welker will step into your team and be a 100+ catch, 1200 yard guy right away? He's pretty much perfect for this offense and his chemistry with Brady is unmatched. There's no guaranteeing he'd ever live up to a 10 million dollar salary on another team. Unless it's a team like Denver, I think it'd be borderline irresponsible to give Welker that kind of money. I'm not saying he isn't a great player, he certainly is. But when you compared him to guys like Fitzgerald and Megatron, those receivers get the big bucks because they've proven they can be ridiculously productive with subpar QBs throwing them the football. Welker simply hasn't. Honestly, 9.5 million is the 4th highest salary any WR is getting paid this season in the league. Is that really lowballing Wes Welker?

Last edited:
BTW, Branch and Hernandez had bigger chokes in that game than Welker. Yet I don't see you saying jack about them.. Take the blinders off..

I have been saying Branch is finished for two years, this is a Welker thread though, so bringing up random names isn't relevant to my point. Reading comprehension would do good, I replied to a poster who spoke on Welker.

they'd be better off if they were to let him go?

This is your problem, I never said that.

I said we are 0-2 with him 3-0 without, therefore we can win with him, and he isn't the key to winning. Your line quoted above is just reaching badly to argue, I like Welker if you wanted to know, I also think he is replaceable, I never said the above quote.

To clear up other silly replies:

By trading Welker we do it to improve defense, the D was better when we won, the proper move gives us a chance to do that once again. If we trade him and do nothing for defense it is pointless, and of course I agree with you guys that it hurts the teams chances in that case.

Welker is not in Fitzgerald or Johnson's league, get real.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back