PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker will NOT make $5.5 a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I keep seeing people bring it up in threads about how we overspent for him.

It's all in the wording of the contract. As others mentioned, the last year or two will be EXTREMELY backloaded and guaranteed only if he plays for Miami. It's just a way to make sure that they don't match and we get him.

The Seahawks did the same thing with Minnesota WR Nate Burleson last season. His 7 year, $49 million contract was worded to where the entire contract was guaranteed if he played 6 or more games in a dome in a single season. So obviously the Vikings didn't match.

That's all this is. It's not desperation for a WR, spending #1 type money for a #3, it's all just the way the contract is worded.

True, good call. I hope this gets fully acknowledged. 6/18 with the last year as phoney is what the speculation on here seems to suggest.

Last edited:
I wonder if rumors of that $20 million 7th year are true.

I'm interested to see in what this deal does to the remaining WR free agent market. Kevin Curtis can argue that he deserves more money than Welker, and Stallworth no down will demand more. They surely are doing to demand that their deals look better "on paper."

We might just have made it much more difficult to sign a top free agent WR this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back