PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker trade a non-issue

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

March 13, 2007
Welker follow-up
Carl Francis, the director of communications from the NFL Players Association, clarified the situation regarding Wes Welker today.

Francis said the NFL Players Association is not seeking a review of the process in which Welker was traded from the Dolphins to the Patriots. He added that the association is not concerned that the collective bargaining agreement might have been violated as part of that process.

Instead, Francis said the association had sent a letter of inquiry to the management council seeking details on the contract signed by Welker.

"It had nothing to do with the way the deal went down," said Francis, adding that it wasn't an official grievance, and that Welker and his representatives did not ask the association to pursue any course of action.

Re: Welker deal a non-issue

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

March 13, 2007
Welker follow-up
Carl Francis, the director of communications from the NFL Players Association, clarified the situation regarding Wes Welker today.

Francis said the NFL Players Association is not seeking a review of the process in which Welker was traded from the Dolphins to the Patriots. He added that the association is not concerned that the collective bargaining agreement might have been violated as part of that process.

Instead, Francis said the association had sent a letter of inquiry to the management council seeking details on the contract signed by Welker.

"It had nothing to do with the way the deal went down," said Francis, adding that it wasn't an official grievance, and that Welker and his representatives did not ask the association to pursue any course of action.
Not anymore. Yahoo! has got confirmation that an investigation is now underway:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-welkerdeal031307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Seems to me like Carl Francis was just denying it while the investigation gets underway.

Not anymore. Yahoo! has got confirmation that an investigation is now underway:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-welkerdeal031307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Seems to me like Carl Francis was just denying it while the investigation gets underway.
Huh? teh Yahoo yahoo says:

An NFL Players Association source confirmed that the union has sent a letter to the NFL Management Council inquiring whether unethical dealings took place leading up to last week's trade between the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots.

How do you go from this to an investigation?

My take on the article is that if the Patirots never created an offer sheet then they can't get in trouble for doing anything against the CBA, and if Piolo is true to his word then the Patriots never created an offer sheet.

Huh? teh Yahoo yahoo says:

An NFL Players Association source confirmed that the union has sent a letter to the NFL Management Council inquiring whether unethical dealings took place leading up to last week's trade between the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots.

How do you go from this to an investigation?

Sorna has only posted to date in Welker threads. Dolphins fan who initially thought they might get a 1 and is now concerned that they would not only lose the two but suffer some penalty, I think.

These poison pill things cause nothing but trouble and I hope they will be removed by next season.

I got this note from Reiss after sending him the Yahoo article.

"I hadn't seen that, but the director of communications from the NFLPA mentioned today that they were simply looking for Welker's contract, and weren't investigating anything."

--Mike

I trust Reiss who sites his source and not the Cole article with an unnamed source.

If the deal is undone the Pats/Fins would likely just make the same exchange over again. This is all so meaningless.

Whew! I thought it was Polian or Mangini instigating the NFLPA.
Go Pats:rocker:

PFT is saying it is no big deal, and even though they are sometimes wrong they are often more right than wrong.

Sorna has only posted to date in Welker threads. Dolphins fan who initially thought they might get a 1 and is now concerned that they would not only lose the two but suffer some penalty, I think.

I am a Patriots and Texas Tech fan. However, I am more into college football then the pros, but when I heard that the Pats were signing Wes, I decided to register to talk about it.

Don't mind Mo. He's part of a small pack on this board who are obsessed with one's "official longevity" on the site. It means a lot to Mo and his packmates although ironically they are not particularly longstanding members. The pack is also concerned that opinions express the partyline (i.e. the pack's opinion). Thus, they're quick to ascribe "troll/non Patsfan status" to anyone expressing opinions different from the partyline. You'll soon "meet" the other members of this pack if you insist on expressing honest, critical opinions. Don't waste your time explaining yourself to them as they will not accept it - to do so would destroy the basis of their self-esteem.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back