PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker-only discussion thread: should Welker start season on PUP?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should WWW start the season on PUP or the 53?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let's keep this thread focused on WWW himself.

Right now, the Patriots basically have to choose between two options:

(1) Start Welker on PUP, which means he MUST sit out all practices and games from the start of TC until the end of Week 6,

or

(2) Start Welker on the 53, which means he can practice and/or play at any point in the season. If he isn't ready to go right away, though, then that means the Patriots have to hold a spot among the eight gameday inactives for him until he is.

FWIW, remember that (2) was their choice with David Thomas back in 2007 (a decision I questioned at the time, and still do not completely comprehend; he ended up on IR after playing in just one game).

OTOH, Ian Rapoport is reporting that this is NOT the first time Welker has taken part in Patriots OTAs this season. Make of that what you will.

Given only the information we know about him so far - I say you gotta go #2. First, I think its not unreasonable to think he could actually contribute by week #1. If he's at 75% now, he could be ready to go. He may be on a similar timeline to Brady last season.

But let's say he's not ready - having him sit as an inactive for several weeks isn't a problem either. To be honest, looking at this roster, I have a hard time picking out the inactives as it is. Whoever would've been #53 on the roster if he's PUP'd, they're not any more likely to be active on the gameday roster. Let's say he's back by week 4 or 5 - unless a given position is hurt by injury, I can't see that #53 spot being more valuable than a couple weeks of Welker playing and contributing.

On the other hand - I will say this his absence from practices might allow Price/Tate/Holt to get more reps. And that might not be a bad thing. Really, how much practice to Wes and Brady need to get in sync anyway...

That said, that's not enough a reason for me to want to hold him out. If he's healthy - he practices and he plays.

Last edited:
There should be an option
"Whatever the medical staff believes is best for Wes Welker".

If he's ready, he's ready and should be on the field. If he's nort ready, PUP him and give him more time to recover.

How about we PUP Brady, even if he's ready!
Make sense?
Not at all, so why do it with Wes? -once again, assuming he's ready to go.

What does Randy Moss have to say about it?

Little_Devil.gif

I don't see what the issue here is, or what we're voting on.

If Welker CAN play (at a level he is 100% comfortable with, as he has already stated such) then he will, whether that be at the beginning of the season or not. There is no "should" here.

If he's ready to start week 1, he should. If not, he shouldn't. All things considered, though, I'd prefer that the Pats err on the side of caution when the judgment call has to be made, but it just might work out that even a cautious perspective will sign off on him starting the season. We just don't know enough to know.

What does Randy Moss have to say about it?

Little_Devil.gif

I called him. He's optimistic, and he said to keep talk about his contract out of this thread. :mad:

Last edited:
If Welker is doing what he is doing now, why is it impossible to imagine that he will be ready for the start of the season. I wouldn't put him on the PUP unless he can't practice.

Is Welker the type of guy who might come back a little too quickly because he wants to be out there? Is he just that competitive of a guy?

Let's say he starts the season on the 53 man, but he's not 100% by game 1. I think you have to place him on the PUP at that point. Why not give him extra time to recover and guarantee that one of our best players is fresh for the stretch run. If he comes back too soon he could never be the same. Is Wes the type of guy to come back too soon to try and help the team to his on detriment? I think so.

He needs to sit unless he's 100%.

Let's say he starts the season on the 53 man, but he's not 100% by game 1. I think you have to place him on the PUP at that point. Why not give him extra time to recover and guarantee that one of our best players is fresh for the stretch run.

You don't have to because you cannot. It's against the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes