PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker on NESN: footage of him going through drills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheesh ... I hope we don't see him showering or brushing his teeth.

Im at a lost for words, honestly.

I guess medicine is getting better where torn ACLs can be recovered in 6 months, either that or Wes Welker is bionic.

Glad he's on our side.

An absolute freak of nature...there is no other explanation.

My original thought was that Wes would be placed on PUP, just to give him some more time (and maybe give guys like Price / Patten more reps), but now, because every game is crucial (especially Week 2 vs NYJ), I'm wondering if he isn't activiated at the start of the season and BB just plays him cautiously. Even if Wes is out there for 10-15 snaps for the first few weeks, he'll make a difference (at the very least he'll draw defenders away from Moss/Tate/Holt).

Don't forget that the wonderful JEST acquisition Santonio Jailhouse, won't be playing either for the first four games... I respect the Steeler organization; if they dumped a first rounder for a fifth round pick, he is DAMAGED GOODS! Therefore he will be an ideal JESTer.

We still have not definitively proven that Welker isn't a Data-like android (with the emotion chip activated, of course). ;)

He's already faster and more powerful than my Droid phone. :D

Last edited:
I actually thought he would be done for the year just based on the timing of the injury and the fact that his game is predicated on sharp cuts. I'm glad I appear to be wrong.

Excellent analysis:

New England Patriots' Wes Welker progressing very well after knee surgery, but still a long way to go - ESPN

According to Hunt, there are several key steps for Welker to return to competition. The most critical aspect is staying ahead of any inflammation that occurs as his activity progresses. As the workouts become more aggressive and the knee joint absorbs the repeated pounding of running, cutting, turning and increasing speed, close monitoring for any signs of swelling, followed by backing off activity as necessary, will help protect against major setbacks.

The next component, says Hunt, will be for Welker to "get his explosiveness and release off the line." That top speed and agility, so critical to Welker's game in particular, will be one of the elements he has to work diligently to regain.

The final, and perhaps most obvious, event in Welker's healing process that will signal his true recovery is his ability to absorb contact. When eyeing OTAs as a potential predictor of return to competition, Hunt notes that they "don't represent contact and they don't represent collisions." And it's not just any type of contact that lets everyone know a player is truly back; it's how a player responds to that first blind hit.

"We're not talking about the first hit you're prepared for; it's the one you didn't see coming, that knocks you off your feet and twists your knee, and you're able to get up and walk away," Hunt said.

Last edited:
Runnin in shorts is a tad different than runnin in pads with a angry lb lookin to blow you up over the middle...still encouragin to see though.

I love that guy, must be the signature I put up the week he got injured :O

Last edited:
An absolute freak of nature...there is no other explanation.

:agree: This is why im always telling people as good as Moss is and as much as I like him as a Patriot, Welker has more value. He is always getting us out of a jam in a 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 3 situation, sometimes on 4th and short. He is also a deep middle threat and can run like hell. As much as I like Randy Moss, I like and RESPECT Wes Welker more.

If every Patriot had Welker's determination and work ethic, not only would they never lose a game, they'd make the 2009 Titans game look like a squeaker.

If every Patriot had Welker's determination and work ethic, not only would they never lose a game, they'd make the 2009 Titans game look like a squeaker.

:youtheman::youtheman:

An excellent post and a correct one. Welker's knee was literally blown apart in that game. Most players never fully recover from a torn ACL. Welker tore both his MCL and his ACL and is already back in drills running at a considerably high speed with only a knee brace. True, he isn't ready to play yet, but the determination is admirable to say the least. He's truly one of a handful of players in the NFL who is very committed to the success of his team, rather than just his next paycheck.:cool:

If he really tore his ACL, he is a freak. I tore mine 5years ago and my knee still sucks.

Same here - but you and I didn't have what Welker did... the finest doctor money can buy and the wherewithal and incentive to rehab full time...

But even with that he's still a freak

One thing, he is rounding his cuts. He isn't making full cuts yet. It is still amazing that he is where he is, but he has a way to go before he is ready to play.

Agreed, but given where he is, I have to do a 180 degree turn and say that I expect he'll be ready to start the season.

Bad news out of Carolina about another player trying to come back from a torn ACL:

Carolina Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis suffered a torn ACL during organized team activities and is expected to miss the entire 2010 season.

The injury is to the ACL in his right knee, which he also tore in November. He said today that he'll have surgery again to repair the ligament again.

Panthers' Thomas Davis suffers torn ACL | ProFootballTalk.com

That poor guy's going to have to go through the whole process all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes