PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WELKER: " I let the team down "

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, the game is ALL about THIS play (Brady/Welker incompletion).

The last game was all about the Tyree catch.

No, you didn't let this team down Wes Welker. You elevated this team all season creating match up nightmares and helped our te's set records. Chin up and do what you do next season. Maybe they will add the deep threat you've been looking for on the outside and you can further wreck more havoc net year?

Interesting how last night's game might be viewed as coming down, among other things, to two plays, both on balls that were a little misthrown.

Brady makes Welker rotate his body just a little more than he normally would so it's hard for him to secure the ball as he falls to the ground; he doesn't.

Manning makes Manningham catch a ball a little out of stride and a little too close to the OB line so its hard for him to secure the ball and keep two feet in bounds; he does.

As Belichick is fond of saying, big games come down to a few plays.

This is what it basically came down to between two evenly matched teams. Welker couldn't hold on to a tough pass that Manningham was able to complete. Both teams played evenly up to this sequence of events. This is what is different about our recent Patriot teams compared to the teams we had winning SBs. Those teams made the critical plays to win the biggest game that we haven't been able to make since 04.

This is what it basically came down to between two evenly matched teams. Welker couldn't hold on to a tough pass that Manningham was able to complete. Both teams played evenly up to this sequence of events. This is what is different about our recent Patriot teams compared to the teams we had winning SBs. Those teams made the critical plays to win the biggest game that we haven't been able to make since 04.

This is it in a nutshell. Maybe it's just the averaging out of things over the long haul. We certainly had some good fortune in all of the games in 2001, against Tennessee in 2003 (Drew Bennett drop), against San Diego in 2006 (Hello Marlon McCree). Now we are regressing to the mean, and maybe a little bit past the mean.

No you didn't Wes. That required a circus catch because the ball was poorly thrown.
The Patriots will win another Super Bowl when they go back to running a traditional offense. When the Patriots can put their QB under center, put one or two RB's in the backfield, huddled up after every play and march down the field eating up clock and getting at least a FG they will win another SB.
This current offense is INCAPABLE of playing traditional hard nosed offensive football. INCAPABLE. They will not win another SB untill they change their current philosophy.
It's a sad commentary that the only time this current offense is effective is when they go hurry up no huddle. It's a gimmick offense and it's why they struggle against good defenses.

Bullroar. He said it himself. It's a catch he's made a lot. Not easy, but made.

As for the rest of your post, it's getting old reading the same thing from you in multiple threads. Why don't you go to school.

In case you hadn't noticed, 50% of the playoff teams this year were in the bottom half of the league in rushing. The team that just won the Super Bowl ranked dead last in rushing this year and had a whopping 109 yards rushing yesterday.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. He's made that clear in several other threads as well. Leave him alone.

Well, he's not wrong. However you guys felt about Asante after SB42, the consistent thing would be to feel the same way about Welker now.

You'd put your house on Welker making that catch, yeah its not into his body but it wasn't way off. Big mistake by Welker but these things happen. He didn't cost us either we made plenty of mistakes as a team last night that cost us.

A confident Welker is crucial for our chances next year.

Sucks to be a PATS fan this morning, doesn't it?

This was one play in an entire game. Wes was not the only Patriot on the field to have a let down or failure. Wes has been lights out for us for years and we need to remember that and forget this. I think that if you live by lousy defense, you eventually die by it and so we did. We needed a stop and couldn't buy one. This is not to say the defense did not play well, they did but not in the critical moments.

Get 'em next year?

All I can say or even think about this is:

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

Seems like as in the conference championship games there are plays that can be pointed at as the "play that lost the game". I don't buy it. We wouldn't have been there last night if not for Welker and to say that a dropped pass cost us the game is ridiculous. Yes, if he had caught it we would have been in better shape but no guarantee that we would score. How many other plays to that point could have been just as big? The offense showed some real determination in the drives at the end of the 1st half and the beginning of the 2nd but beyond that looked badly outmatched. Why the inconsistency? The defense does a pretty good job holding the score down but lets the Giants totally dominate the time of possession. Maybe if had another possession or 2 or 3, things would have been different but to say 1 play was the difference is wrong.

The pass was good. Welker should have had it. End of story...

No pointing fingers....many mistakes were made and it is easy to blame a few people....with that said it sucks right now but ultimately that game ADDED to Brady's legacy he played nearly perfect....the 1 int was NOT a dumb decision 1 on 1 gronk lb jump ball ill take that.....when they talk about brady's career this game will be talked about in a GOOD light to adding to brady's legacy...no drops that last drive and i have no doubt in my mind we were going to win

Franchise him next year and try to negotiate a team friendly 2 year contract.
WR corps is very thin already and the Pats can ill afford to lose him
They have plenty of cash to keep Wes

Maybe a little guilty concience on his part might lead to a discount

Interesting off season coming up for sure

Throw a Giants shirt on Wes and he makes that catch.

The reason the Giants are winning is the same reason the Pats used to win, the receivers are making super clutch catches. I mean back in 04, a receiver won MVP. Remember how it seemed Branch and Brown could never drop a pass? It was amazing to see, like mini Gronk's out there.

Now, you seen it last night. A lot of dropped balls, feet not inbounds, etc. Brady is definitely to blame for the inaccurate passes, but no QB is accurate 100% of the time. When he's not, the receivers need to come up big, and Welker didn't on that play.

Is Welker to blame for that loss? Sure, but he's about as much to blame as was Brady throwing to nobody from the endzone. Or the miscommunication on defense that would have given them a HUGE turnover. Or the piss poor luck of fumbles bouncing right to Giants.

Welker let the team down, but so did many others last night.

Well, aren't you are barrel of monkeys? Go suck lemons troll, nobody needs your YETS/GIANTS crap here. If anybody BLEW it, it was probably you and I hope it tasted bad.

Greetings,

I have heard too many coaches tell receivers if your hands touch the ball you have no excuse not to catch it. Especially considering he has caught MANY balls like that and the Giants made spectacular catches. With that being said, I really want Welker to return next year and years after that. To me it makes no sense in not wanting this guy back with no grantee of a better option. You would only get a offense that is not as good and a thread a week on this website about how dumb BB was for letting Welker go.

Celticboy04

Last edited:
A little OT, but you're a new poster and I have to decide whether to take your posts seriously or just blow by them with a passing glance.

Why do you have to use the word "midget?" You actually use it twice.

I'm 6'4" (though I'm sure you're taller, otherwise I might think you're a...well, you know...), so this isn't a result of any insecurity I might have in that regard, but I find that posters who feel they have to denigrate someone in addition to making what might be legitimate comments on a player or game usually don't have that much to say and are masking a lack of understanding of the game and its finer points with insults.

He's an enemy troll, you can tell by the use of the terminology, "YOUR QUARTERBACK", and the fact this person just showed up today to post negatively. This clown is not a PATS fan.

Well, he's not wrong. However you guys felt about Asante after SB42, the consistent thing would be to feel the same way about Welker now.

If Asante and Welker had the same attitude, I'd agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back