Welcome to PatsFans.com

welker holding: on pass plays?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Gumby, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gumby

Gumby 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

Penalty watch: Welker & holding - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

the espn blog posts this blurb about pats holding penalties and notes that welker is up there with all the OL and TEs with 3 holding penalties.

I don't remember all these plays where he got called so does anybody know were these on running plays or passing plays?

I don't recall a WR getting so many holding penalties on any team. Is this possibly a case of the nfl trying to even things up for teams that can't cover him? Or is this part of his repertoire of - how he gets open? I thought he was just using his quickness to get inside of and separate from the defenders; I don't recall seeing him push off a lot.

But would like to hear from the guys who have the DVRs & no life (or no wife who stops them from spending 3 hours at night poring over video) [just kidding guys :D - I love hearing the analysis from you guys with coaching/technicall expertise]

2. robbomango

robbomango In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

drawn penalties are on the other team if i read it correctly, similar to Brady drawing a late hit flag etc

3. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +956 / 17 / -8

#3 Jersey

That's not what the article is saying.

It's saying that opposing defenses are so intent on stopping WWW that they have committed three holding penalties on him.

4. The Scrizz

The Scrizz 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +118 / 4 / -2

#11 Jersey

Well they've probably committed more like 30. They've gotten flagged for 3.

5. jsull87

jsull87 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +75 / 3 / -0

If by they you mean Revis in the game against the pats then that's about right. Next time he should just do what he did to marshal to welker and pull him to the ground for the easy INT

6. Silver Blue&Red

Silver Blue&Red In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

Revis!:mad:

7. xlcjw72

xlcjw72 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

#75 Jersey

revis gets away with so much, like the 100 yard return, and the play they always show on welker he has his jersey all the way

8. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +277 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

How long would an NFL game be if they called holding on Revis on every series? He knows at most he is going to at worst get flagged for 1 or 2 a game. I'm sure the consequences don't outweigh the style he plays so well.

9. RJB87

RJB87 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Revis gets away with so much holding and illegal contact. Yes, he's a good CB. But it's so unfortunate that the refs don't even look at him anymore. That dude gets a hand full of the opposing WR's jersey on every play. His Pick 6 on Monday Night Football should have been a 1st & Goal on the 1 yard line for the Dolphins. The refs screwed that up so bad.

A pick 6 in the end zone is a 14 point play. That would have put Miami up 10-0 and then 17-0 if Marshall isn't a moron and steps out of bounds on a free TD. Talk about a game changer that shouldn't have even happened in the first place.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  10. olschool

olschool Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

These days, with the speed of most players, there's holding on every play. It's about the only way to slow anyone down. They all know that the refs can't call them all, so they all do it, and hope that they don't get nailed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.